4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:07 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Update: I broke the picture links a while ago and most of the details have changed. I am going to relink all the pictures.

Currently the white car has a new 2.0 engine (still no turbo), Eclipse dash, Eclipse seats, Expo brakes.

The red car currently has a 5lug swap. 2.4L Expo engine on the 100% stock CSM harness/1.8L ECU/1.8L MAF/1.8L Throttle body/2.0L Injectors.

The swap was done this way to save time. This is a daily driver. The engine was dropped in and started right up in a few hours.

Front Transmission Mount:
People always ask about this so here are the pictures again. This mount is made using the exhaust hanger and stock mount so that things will fit a 2g style front mount. This is because the holes on the block/transmission are in different places.

Rear Transmission Mount:
Instead of doing all the funky mounting I just modified the stock mount by rotating the mounting holes to fit the stock CSM mount.

CSM Hub Mod:
This is done so you can use the stock spindle/hub with the Eclipse axles. The axle will fit just fine already, the issue is the with seal being smaller. The fix is to have the hub machined bigger to accept the seal from the Eclipse/Expo. I ran the car this way for 6 months and never had an issue. I later swapped to the Expo setup for the larger brakes. Overall the Expo is the way to go. But if you have no other options and cannot source Colt GT/Halfshafts give this a try.

Random:
This guy is local and he did the scoop to his wifes car. rofl

Last edited by uweenukr on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:40 pm 
Some call me a god

What does it run at the track with the N/A engine?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:08 pm 
Nice projects 8) I think a '63 n/a would make a good dd.
Holy Colt junkyard,lol-I love it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:12 pm 

It is a 7bolt that is a little wore out. The head was rebuilt when it was out with a port/polish and a valve job. The intake and exhaust were gasket ported also. Other than that its stock. Being a turbo motor with no turbo it makes very little power. It had a best run of 10.36 at 72mph in the 1/8th mile when the interior was out right after it was built.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:55 pm 

Just went to the dyno and put down some sad numbers. It managed 108hp/110tq around 6000rpm. I figured the injectors were too big and they definitely are. The A/F ratio started around 11 at 3000rpm and kept going down. Around 4800rpm it pegged the dyno at 10.0 so I know it went super rich. I have smaller injectors to put in this week which will hopefully help out my power/mileage. I was looking for something around 120hp on the turbo without a turbo setup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:53 pm 

I definately like the fact that you put an Eclipse dash in a Colt. What did you have to do in order to make it fit? I'm interested in that! There's a 94 Laser at the yard right now that they're about to scrap. They might give me the whole thing for $50.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:37 pm 

Basically it was horrible. We had to cut the crash bar out of the car and weld in the Eclipse bar. Extend the steering column a little and mount the new dash. It was pretty time consuming but those were the only real steps. The issue now is that the dash I have is in bad shape and I need to swap in a good one. Also the AC ducts don't quiet line up since we didn't put them in before welding the bar in (didn't plan on having AC but quickly learned I needed heat for the winter). The only hard part is getting that crash bar welded in the exact right spot. It must be oriented perfectly in all directions or stuff wont fit. Next time I take the dash out I will take more pictures if you are interested.

EDIT: The car has Eclipse seats mounted with new braces in the floor. We took front seat belts from an 85 Colt so I don't have to deal with that stupid auto seat belt...It made things much lighter and easier to deal with. Mounted in the stock holes with slight modifications.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:41 pm 
Some call me a god

How do you plan to manage the smaller injectors? Cause you can't just plug them in and have your car running correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:46 pm 

Why not? It has all non turbo parts on it including the computer. The injectors it is looking for at 280something and it has 450 in it. It doesn't know how to get all that fuel out so I bet the window its spraying is as low as it will go. It is basically the same thing as putting 1000cc injectors in a stock turbo car and then switching back.

EDIT: didn't mean for that to sound like im being a jerk. Just wondering why you don't think it would work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:19 pm 
Some call me a god

I was assuming you were using a turbo base, ie ecu, mas, etc. So your using stock turbo injectors but all n/a stuff for wiring and such?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:42 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Deadtime will be way off, will run rich no matter what you do I figure. Why would you do that instead of running the proper injector, can't cost more than $50 to solve that issue with new injector insulators (seals).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:38 pm 

I am putting what I think is the stock size back in. I have a set of injectors that came out of a stock NT 91 Eclipse sitting in my dads yard (pictured above) that are a pink/tan color.

I am getting the information from this page which says stock NT is 240cc: http://www.robietherobot.com/storm/fuel ... rguide.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:45 pm 

Why not just toss a turbo on? You will have to rewire the harness and get rid of the resistor pack to run na injectors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:47 pm 

really?? I have not heard of the resistor pack difference before. I have a turbo coming in a few months but this is my daily driver and I wanted to fix it in the mean time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:01 am 
Some call me a god

So what exactly is your setup right now?? Is it a turbo motor? Turbo or N/A wiring harness? Turbo or N/A sensors?

I think the easiest solution would be just to pick up a 13g/14b setup, a sidemount intercooler and slap them on at stock boost. That shouldn't run you more then $200.