4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Wagon! AWD! Bad Jokes!
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:08 pm 

It's happening! New to CSM, I have owned several classic RWD Toyotas. My current cards are a 1980 Corona with a 22RE and a 1967 Corona. And a Honda Ruckus that has never ran haha.

Overall plan: Build a reliable 4G63T daily driver. I love the A/C and power windows, the space in the back. It is very different from a 1980 rust death trap.

First order of business is fixing this ECM (or do we say ECU here?)

Capacitors are in the mail, but this resistor (?) is damaged. When we opened the ECU it just fell off, and in classic style, I lost it.

Any help/advice on how to find out what I need to order to replace it would be super neat.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:11 pm 

What I've done so far:

Fuel filter (it was brand new but the only markings said "China")
Cleaned EGR
Clutch slave replaced (was leaking)
Spark plugs

First be ordering next:
New shocks/struts, it bounces and floats really bad < Anything slightly stiffer I can run? I think I saw 1g DSM fronts? Maybe
Firmer rear springs- Do not want to lower it yet. Something stiffer especially in the rear (bumps in the trunk!) maybe circle track parts?

I love this car!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:25 pm 

Update:

I have the capacitors needed to repair the ECU but the broken resistor is still eluding me. I can't figure out what to buy.

Carpet cleaned it for about 5 hours. Looking good inside.

Heading to j-yard tomorrow. Will any 4G64 ECU work? I can at least butcher it for the resistors right?

Gallant, Montero, Eclipse came with 4G64 also right?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:13 am 
CSM Junkie

yup when i had my van it had a/c, full load, keyless entry remote start
the guy who has it now has removed the a/c the power steering pump, he still has the power rack (so gross) he removed the mint stock seats yo install dsm seats, he put a talon bumper on the front, (yuck)he removed the cruise control, he would probably remove the power windows if he could
but im just happy hes bringing it back, the guy i sold it to did a number on it

if your going to build a van, my opinion, leave all the luxury stuff. all the stuff he pulled adds up to about 50 pounds.
the van is just the comfiest, and nicest vehicle to drive. why ruin it. they dont even need a 4g63t. they go like stink with the stock engine
ok yeah they need the 4g63t they are fun at the track.
i almost took out a gt500 with mine. smoked him off the line, he caught me at the top end, i ran 14.0 @ 99ish he ran 13.99 @ 114ish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:28 am 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
Update:

I have the capacitors needed to repair the ECU but the broken resistor is still eluding me. I can't figure out what to buy.

Heading to j-yard tomorrow. Will any 4G64 ECU work? I can at least butcher it for the resistors right?
Likely they will have the same resistor too. My board is still missing one to this day. I should really buy two boards .... one for running and one spare.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:11 pm 
CSM Junkie

you dont have to use surface mount to repair the missing resistor. they are really tricky to get soldered on. regular resistor works fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:32 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Looks like a ground trace being that it is sent throught the board mount screw. Am I wrong?

Could always send it to the guys at ECMLink.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:07 am 

Great advice guys, mucho thanks.

All the options are staying. That's the whole point of this car! It will be quick enough for me with a 4G63t. This is the first car I've had with A/C since like 2001.

I grabbed a few ECU's I just need to hook up with my buddy who is much more qualified to be soldering than me. If the stars don't align I also thought of trying ECMLink.

Get it running good, and start on suspension!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:12 pm 

Checking in. Kind of at a loss, any advice is good advice.

-All resistors replaced on ECU and tested good continuity
-Car ran good for 50 miles or so and the issue came back
-ECU new capacitors look good and continuity tests ok
-studders and backfires badly. Seems to happen every 5 minutes or so
-when it's studdering the throttle is not responsive
-if I take it on the freeway it does fine, no studdering
-This may be in my head but I feel like if I keep the RPM really high it's less likely to act up

I know this isn't a lot to go on but I'm pretty nooby. I love this car and want to get this issue resolved do I can move on to other maintenance!

Thanks in advance I've learned a ton reading on this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:26 pm 
The Silent Administrator

If you had the 4g6x motor, I would say you should wiggle the wiring at the coolant temp sensor at the coolant/thermostat neck.
Also, if there is any wiring leading up to the crank angle sensor at the the end of a cam shaft/side of the head, I would suspect some janky wiring.

I'm not sure how your motor is oriented and where the corresponding components would be.

Check for any brittle feeling wiring that may be really close to a sensor, including the TPS (throttle position sensor).

Gotta be a an intermittent electrical gremlin, whether in the wiring or ECU/sensor system.

Without a log showing some basic sensor data, it is hard to tell what "may" be going on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:09 pm 

Sound advice, I'll tinker this week. I want to try another ECU in case there's some unseen issue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:45 pm 

I just had a rad brain storm. After we repaired the ECU it ran great for a little while. Then I washed the car.

The windshield molding on the passenger side is popped out. I hope that is the issue. It may be leaking and getting the ECU wet. I'll test with the hose tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:04 pm 

Ok so windshield is leaking, trying to pop the trim back in place. In the meantime I'm searching for another 4G64 ECU.

I am having a heck of a time finding if my ECU would be the same in an eclipse with a 4G64? I think it came in Galants and monteros?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:50 am 
The Silent Administrator

The guys here may know of a replacement ECU what will be plug and play for your SOHC motor setup, to accomodate sensors and injector sizing/MAF, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:00 pm 

Cool thanks, I can find butt loads of 4G61 info but this engine seems pretty rare and not well thought of.

I'm just wanting to get it reliable so I can bring home a 4G63 in the back :-)