4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:45 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I picked her up a year and a half ago from an older guy in Redding, CA off of craigslist for $900. He was the orignal owner and the car had 84,xxx miles on it. Car was mint besides low compression. Here is what it looked like when I first got it.

Over the last year I have had many setups in it. I bought a 4g61 1.6 from conrad for $125 and it was still holding strong up until I pulled it out a few days ago. I had everything from a 50 trim, small 16g, b16 16g, Garrett T3 .42/.48, and an SC61 which was ridiculously laggy. Here is a few pics from over the last year and a half.

So about a week ago I pulled the motor out. About a year ago I purchased a built motor for $1500. I receently purchased a laser and tore it apart for all the parts to finish my needed parts list for the colt. Here is the rundown of the motor and all the parts that will be going on. I have already aquired everything now I just need to get the work done. I have been working on collectinf part and planning this swap for over a year. I am glad to finally starting on this project. I want to be in the 500 horsepower range :D

Engine has about 8,000-9,000 miles on it with about 1,500 on the timing set. Compression is dead across 165-167 on all four cylinders.
6 bolt block bored .020 over
New crank at time of build
Wiseco 9:1 compression Pistons
Eagle H-beam Rods
ARP Head studs, main studs
Fel-Pro Performance headgasket
Head was ported on intake and exhaust side
Manley valve springs
New valves at time of build
Forced Performance FP2X cams
Balance shaft removed
New oil pump
New water pump
New lifters
Magnus street intake manifold
Precision 1000cc injectors
Tial 44mm wastegate
OBX Manifold T3 mainfold
Aermotive a-1000 adjustable fuel pressure regulator w/ gauge
-6 an fuel line from filter to rail and rail to FPR
Garret 60-1 turbo
HKS turbo air filter
Maft translator w/ 3in GM maf
Air/water intercooler setup (need to get heat exchanger)
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Moroso ultra 40 race wires
MSD coilpacks and MSD DIS-2
4 bolt 3in Dowpipe w/ vband flange to full 3in exhaust w/ HKS Carbon Ti muffler
DSM FWD tranny (stock for now saving for built tranny)
Fidanaza lightweight flywheel
XTD stage 4 sprung clutch
Optima Red top battery
KYB GR-2's ( need to buy some springs most likely Eibach sportlines)
Lancer OZ rally wheels
GVR4 dual piston calipers and rotors
Slotted and drilled rotors in the rear
AFCO dual core raditor w/ slimfan
89 colt eprom ecu socketed and capped
ECMlink V3
AEM wideband gauge
AEM truboost controller and guage
Autometer digital oil pressure gauge
Autometer digital water temp gauge
Autometer digital EGT gauge
HKS turbo timer
maybe more that all I can think off for now. I honestly dont have too much into the car though. I maybe have $5000 all together. I found alot of really good deals.

Here is some pics of my recent progress of pulling the old motor out and putting in the new one. I pulled the motor out last week and just got the new 2.0 mounted in today. Know its just alt of little work to be done. getting close.... }:D

Last pic of colt with the 1.6 bolted in...

Motor coming out

My new built 4g63

Engine bay before pressure wash

Engine bay after pressure wash

Pile of some of the new parts to go in

My new air/water intercooler setup (pics from steve's car)

My new DSM link V3 arrived

Motor mounted in finally!

Last edited by Damills on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:21 am 
Some call me a god

Wow, great work David! keep us updated. How did she run with the 1.6 with the different setups that you had? What turbo setup was the most fun and any dyno numbers with the 1.6?

http://www.4g61t.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18146

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:44 am 

thanks sam. After all the setups I went through on the 1.6 I definatly realized that bigger turbos were very very laggy on it and top end power was horrible on the 4g61 for me. My favorite turbos were the small 16g, big 16g, and the Garrett T3 .42/.48. The garret T3 turbo had pretty decent spool and made lots of power up top. I ran 20 psi on it and it felt pretty strong. The last setup I ran was the big 16g and it felt near equivalent but with a better spool time. No dyno numbers though sorry just experimented with alot of different setups. I am very excited to see what this new setup puts out. I might end up running my Precision SC61 with this engine instead of the Garrett 60-1. Sounds like it is a overall better turbo....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:56 am 
Some call me a god

wow thats gonna be a monster! Wish you lived closer so i could take a look at that colt you have. Are there any tracks near you, ive been wanting to take mine to infineon dragway but its a never ending project and i seem to keep spending my car funds on the other car instead of the colt LOL

http://www.4g61t.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18146

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:33 am 

You ripped that old man off :lol: . $900, you should be ashamed of yourself.

J/K man, car looks awesome. These are the types of builds that I like to read about on here. Looks like you really took your time and did things right the first time. Are those OZ wheels polished?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:45 pm 

Yeah we have Sacramento raceway up here about 45 mins from me. When I get the car done I can drive it down to your area. I go to San Fran quite often. I took the next couple of days off of work so maybe I can get some work done on this thing. I am just happy I got the shifter cables working... The wheels are kind of semi polished. I just used about 3 cans of aircraft paint remover and some scrubbing and it took the clearcoat off. Then I semi polished them but they turned out pretty good IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:33 pm 
2nd Banana

Really nice work, congrats. I'll be looking forward to seeing what it can do in the 1/4.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:51 pm 
CSM Junkie

If you haven't done it yet, get some good motor mounts. If you're serious about that 500hp (I'm sure you are) then you're going to wheel hop yourself to some broken trannies.

I'm sure you've figured this stuff out by now with all those setups on the 1.6L, but thought I would add that in. It's cars like this that make us look good. A well built car that is clean and well taken care of.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:57 pm 

I actually glad you mentioned that I do need to get something more stiff. I think I might just fill them with window weld for now. That has always seem to work for me in the past on turbo hondas. I am in the process of fixing some other cars right now to make some money so I can buy a good tranny. I have a feeling that this thranny is going to break very quickly...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:12 am 

dude your ride is lookin dope, i might stop by one of these days an check it out if thats cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:03 pm 

Thanks yeah thats cool. Just pm me and I will give you my phone number. I got a lot of work done over the last couple of days. I slapped it together for now just to get it running. I am happy though that the intercooler went in pretty smootly only had to do one weld. I hooked up link and made sure everything was good and it started up first try! I am pretty excited to hear this thing run. I still need to figure a way to mount the radiator in and I need to also get a heat exchanger and mount it in front of the radiator, and install the downpipe and exhaust. I haven't decided if I am going to use the MSD stuff yet. Alot of people say the stock ignition will do fine. I still need to install all of the guages and do alot of little stuff but a majority of the work is done.

Getting stuff lined up and testing fitment

A good end to night full of work (and drinking)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 pm 

Definately sweet looking. I hope it runs as good as it looks! Maybe I missed this but is this a 63t car or is it still 61t? I saw 61t mentioned but am not 100% sure.

Caleb 3/17/12 8 lbs 15 ozs 20 inches

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:53 pm 

It was 61t but I just put in a 4g63t :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:59 pm 
Some call me a god

This car is going to go like nuts, man! I think you did a really nice job, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:05 pm 

I finally got some more work done last weekend. I have been so busy at work and trying to get rid of my junkyard of cars that I had forgotten about my colt... :( But I got a lot of progress done this past weekend. I took the radiator back out because it was mounted by zipties for a temp install and was way to close to the turbo and wastegate not allowing me even to install a rad fan. In the end I got radiator tucked in a lot more and properly mounted. I also finished the air/water intercooler system. I finally got everything mounted and my heat exchanger picked out. Once it was mounted I finished all of my measurements and got all the pushloc hose and fittings installed. BTW I have never put on those pushloc fittings before and that was the biggest PITA!! My next steps are to just finish rigging the shift linkage and getting it to work properly and install a new clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. I also need to install my whole slew of gauges. I just want to get it on the road and throw a basic tune on it just so I can say I have driven the thing... Following that I need to install my MSD setup. I have a DIS-2 with MSD coil. I also am looking into a water/meth kit being I dont have an E85 station within 45 mins of me. I am going to go ahead and order a GM 3 bar map and IAT sensor for when i cross over to speed density when I break the new setup in. I am getting close and it is very excited!!!!! I know it wont be long after i get it going I will be pulling the tranny out though. That is why I am saving up now. :wink:

Some updated pics....

This is what the radiator placement looks like now that I cut some of the lip of the core support out. It is pretty well tucked in there and looks pretty decent.

This is my new heat exchanger installed. It is the $200 one from frozenboost (silicone intakes).com It is a very good unit that comes with 1/2 npt inlet and outlet threads. It also has a pre tapped water temp gauge spot in it.

I got the radiator slim fan installed and pump mounted. The pump is a 260 gph utility pump which which definately gets the job done. I got the resevoir mounted as well and it is a pretty good fitment if you ask me. I decided on a Summit 1 gallon aluminum fuel cell being it had the -8an inlets and outlets I needed and had plenty of room for Ice. I also started measuring out some of the pushloc hose.

After an hour or two of fighting with the pushloc hose fittings and a few blisters on my hand I got all the lines installed. Over all i am very satisfied with the setup and excited to see how it performs.

Air/water ontercooler setup costs:
Biglady's previous setup (pump, intercooler, bov, lines and fittings and 5 gallon tank) $250
Summit fuel cell $100
Heat Exhanger $180
Additional pushloc hose and fittings $110 (needed alot of 90's expensive)
=$640 (and it will probably out perform what i need it to do...)