4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:13 pm 
CSM Junkie

no but i scoured the forsale threads for about 2 weeks and hiked every junkyard in town, posted a WTB here, plus hit up local boards.. nuthin..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:03 am 
Some call me a god

Get on Galantvr4.org

I made a WTB thread. and i had a few people PM me about the rear hubs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:33 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Did you post a want ad for them on GVR4.org? I had multiple people who wanted to unload the 4 bolt hubs for like $50 shipped
sorry off topic - what size is that hub bolt in the back? I went to pull a set of these 4 bolt hubs and came back empty handed because that nut was smaller than 30 mm.
[edit]
** 27mm **

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Last edited by j2dapo on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:31 pm 
Some call me a god

24 mm i believe

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:03 pm 
CSM Junkie

well another sunday means another update.. right?

lets see where were we? ahh yes the front ball joints are "starting" to go bad.. :)

luckily the ball joint on the Summit is one unit with the control arm so i couldnt just buy new ball joints.. gay
sooo, i went the satans A..hole (pick n'pull) and they happened to have a 94 hyundai elantra chillin. so i spent the better part of the afternoon pulling the control arms off that prick. only to find out that i couldnt buy them because it was 6:12 and they close at 6. they wouldnt let me buy them at all..double gay! so i went back and buried them and came back the next day and picked them up.

heres the summit control arm. notice how the sway bar mounts (the piece im holding)

this is the elantra arm mounted, notice how the swaybar mounts. so i had to swap in the old mounts off the summit arm. also notice the sweet bolt on ball joints.

heres the sway bar all ready to rock..

after all that good stuff i pulled them BACK off and painted them. the joys of building a frankenstein.

and back together

and BAM 5-lug hubs from a 1g DSM. this is actually a brake upgrade in disguise because my car is like 1000 lbs lighter than a DSM yessss!

heres the other side all apart.

i had to adjust the tie rod arms alot because the combo of parts made the front tires like this \ /
a pro alignment is for sure in my future haha.

sorry this is kind of a gay update but this is what i got goin on.. :/

hope you like it

-Justin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:28 pm 
CSM Expert

Actually you can replace the 89-92 ball joints. The parts stores have them in stock. You remove the circlip from the top side and press the joint downward.

Also, I just did a toe alignment using a piece of string, ruler, and some jackstands. It worked incredibly well and saved the $80 alignment cost. PM me and I can help you with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:26 am 
CSM Expert

You should actually steal the sway bar from the Elantra its a nice upgrade...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:46 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Actually you can replace the 89-92 ball joints. The parts stores have them in stock. You remove the circlip from the top side and press the joint downward.

Also, I just did a toe alignment using a piece of string, ruler, and some jackstands. It worked incredibly well and saved the $80 alignment cost. PM me and I can help you with it.
i tried that bud i rented the press, bought the ball joints and dug in but there was no circlip at all and the ball joint did not budge. i searched here and found conflicting info but a few people shared the same problem i did. one guy took his to a machine shop and the owner told him that he has seen it before where the ball joint and control arm are 1 unit and people bend their control arms trying to remove them.

Berserko:
i was going to grab that too but the motor was still in the car and it looked like a pain to get out. plus i hate that junkyard and refuse to give them any more of my money. maybe if i can find another one i'll swap it out. i kept the other sway bar mounts just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:52 am 
CSM Junkie

Hey that 94 hyundai elantra was it 5 speed? If let me know I need the 5 speed parts from going to auto to maunal. Also, btw the car is coming out nicely. Pm me on the stats of that elantra, thanks tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:52 pm 

I'm loving it keep us updated :D

Post subject: I like the way you think
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:42 am 
Some call me a god

My Colt's 4g63 is about to become a nice paperweight in the corner of my shop. The reason being: I am currently in the process of building my bored .20 over, balance shaftless, 6 bolt, 4G63T. It's getting CP forged 9:1 pistons, forged steel eagle H-rods, Brian Crower 272/272 cams, BC valve springs, Cometic MLS headgasket, ARP headstuds, and I plan to top it off with a Garret 50 trim if I can fit it under the hood. I also need to install DSMlink, 660 injectors, a 255lph pump, and an E-prom ECU.

As you already know, traction is going to be a real issue, which brings me to the question phase:
Exactly what rear are you using for this? Isn't the Eclipse/Talon rear too wide? Did the 5 stud talon hubs and brakes fit into the Colt steering knuckles? I'm unclear on this, but didn't they make some of these body style AWD factory? I've read that they made AWD mirage sedans in the early 90s, but never got a good look under one.

I look forward to more pictures of your build. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:24 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:

Exactly what rear are you using for this? Isn't the Eclipse/Talon rear too wide? Did the 5 stud talon hubs and brakes fit into the Colt steering knuckles? I'm unclear on this, but didn't they make some of these body style AWD factory? I've read that they made AWD mirage sedans in the early 90s, but never got a good look under one.

I look forward to more pictures of your build. Great stuff!
1.the rear is from a first gen talon
2. doesnt look to wide to me :)
3 yes the steering end links were just fine, i just had to adjust them to be straight
4. they made these AWD factory overseas. google: cyborg

theres tons of info around here. i'd suggest locking up the kids, sending the wife out shopping grab a six pack and search this forum until your eyes dry out.

welcome to the board!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:33 am 
Some call me a god

So you just put the Talon/Eclipse steering knuckles on it? That sounds easy enough. I just looked at a 1g GSX in a "you pull" junkyard in W.Hazelton PA. yesterday, but someone already got all the goodies. I looked underneath at the mamouth tunnel and started to wonder how you fit the driveshaft in with the 3" exhaust. Has anybody seen any good pictures of that done neatly, with a converter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:05 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
So you just put the Talon/Eclipse steering knuckles on it? That sounds easy enough. I just looked at a 1g GSX in a "you pull" junkyard in W.Hazelton PA. yesterday, but someone already got all the goodies. I looked underneath at the mamouth tunnel and started to wonder how you fit the driveshaft in with the 3" exhaust. Has anybody seen any good pictures of that done neatly, with a converter?
page 5 over here has a good pic, in fact you should check out the whole thread, lots of info.
look here too www.lilevo.com

http://forum.4g61t.org/viewtopic.php?t=20769&start=60

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:49 pm 
Some call me a god

aha! VR4 hubs. That's one of the questions that has been plagueing me. I don't want to give up my rims either. Nevermind the question about switching the front hubs. I aready tore the guts out of a 4g61 powered n/a Mirage sedan. It supplied me with a hydraulic clutch, 5 speed, upgraded sway bar, 4 wheel disk, tach and 150 mph speedo, gt seats, and all the hardware and wiring to install the 4g63. It's been great for about 4-5 years, but now with my turbo uprgade in the works, I'm finding this forum to be an extremely valuable resource. I never imagined so many people were doing this uprade.

Thanks for the pointers. I can't wait to post my build on here.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 69 Next