Long time no update!
I would check off a list of excuses but they're just that -excuses! I'll make an update video soon, but here's the cliff notes
I had to move to a new place. Luckily the garage is a little larger here.
I finished the engine.. made a solid bracket for the GM alternator. I'll have to go back and make a tensioner for it, but for now it's hand-tensioned and should be able to run like it is.
I installed the engine in the bay. It was actually a PITA to get all the mounts to line up. I've installed hundreds of 4G63's, mostly in 1G's. This is the hardest time I've had.
I worked on numerous other items on the car, most of which were small potatoes. One problem I need to find a final solution to is using the AWD half-shaft in the F5M33 FWD trans. I know it should be a "bolt in and go" item but for some reason it's not for my setup. I've been through 3-4 shafts, one of which may or may not work.
The latest endeavor was the fuel tank. I had an aftermarket tank:
Notice the holes for the fuel pump hanger and fuel level sending unit are both circular... the OEM pump hanger is pentagon-shaped, and the fuel sender I got for it is triangle-shaped...
I fitted a Walbro 450LPH to the pump hanger. It's taller than the OEM pump so at first I tried to separate the lower portion of the fuel pump cradle from the bracket and then extend it, but it would have been too tall and would not fit the tank which is 8" deep. So I cut the bottom of the bracket off, cut off the factory clamping mechanism that used to hold the OEM pump, and used a wormgear clamp to attach the pump. Of course, the next issue was that the wires from the fuel pump were too short to even make it out of the tank, so I extended the wires and attached the plug that came with it. I'll be using a pump rewire kit with a power wire directly to the battery.
The next hurdle was the fuel level sending unit. I didn't have the original sender at all, and as you would probably expect, they don't exist anywhere anymore. I started research with the Mitsu tech manuals and found that the 89' Mirage sending unit has a 0 ohm - 100 ohm range (Full - Empty). The older Mitsu's, like 1G eclipses had the same range, so I went to the junkyard to get one and figured I could modify it to work. Unfortunately the only one there was rusted beyond use, so I started pulling senders out of random Mitsu's. I didn't want to use a 2G Eclipse sender because the range was 0-75 ohm, meaning it would read "full" correctly but when the gauge read "empty" it would actually have around 1/4 tank.
I ended up leaving the junkyard with a fuel level sender from a 2003 Lancer. I had no idea at the time, but it actually had the same 0-100 ohm range as the Mirage. I don't usually get lucky and the good fortune was very welcome. Unfortunately the sender was too tall and had that triangle flange...
I needed to shorten the assembly up by about 1/2" and luckily this unit was easy to modify. I just cut the slit larger with a cut-off wheel and moved it all upwards. I drilled a new screw hole to lock it in and everything fits now.
Now, miraculously the screw holes on the sending unit's triangle-shaped flange matched up with the screwholes in the circular ring on the tank perfectly. Unfortunately, the float would have been blocked when the tank was filled and it would have never read "full". I had to re-position the sending unit and drill/tap 3 new holes.
Now I need to get a new filler hose and mount the tank.