4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
 Post subject: Re: big16g's awd thread
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:09 pm 
Some call me a god

Been meaning to update this thread forever, I have a ton of updates so I'm going to do a little at a time and try and keep up with it.

So I'll be starting this off where I left off, 2015 was a rough year with the car, broke a few U-joints and a couple t-cases and it was usually on my first pass but I still manged to get a couple mid 10 second passes out of the car. After shootout (2015) I installed another T-case and replaced my U-Joints again. I had plans to go factory MOD that year so I didn't want to take the car to the track until after MOD. Ended up going to MOD and met up with Nate (Natedawg) and his beautiful 72 Colt. After the event I went to my local track to try and make a couple more passes. First pass I lowered the two step and tried to take it easy on the launch, cut a 1.7 60' went through gears and as soon I banged 4th my U-joint let go. At that point it was October and didn't feel like messing with the car anymore that season.

I took a couples months off trying to decide what to do next. I knew there was some problems with the car that needed worked out, the engine mounts needed to be addressed along with the driveshaft and how it was mounted. I've also had swapping to an auto trans in the back of my mind for a while now. Ended up finding a deal on a 2g auto trans, two t-cases, and a few extra parts for a really good deal. So since I was planning on redoing my engine mounts and I still had some good manual trans parts to sell I decided it was the best time to just jump in and auto swap the car, even though I still wanted to get some faster passes with the manual.

Tune in next week where I buy some parts, ruin my car with a death wheel, and totally destroy any hope for 2016. For now enjoy some old pictures from 2015 when my car ran.........sort of.

Shootout 2015

Factory MOD 2015

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:16 pm 
Some call me a god

Next update starts around January 2016 and I'm diving head first into this auto swap. I start by making a parts list and doing some research on auto swaps. I've only seen a small handful of auto swapped CSM's and only found one other person to put a 2g auto trans in one, so not a lot of info out there. I ended up picking up an auto rear end, Kiggly 1g in a 2g kit with a flexplate, auto 2g driverside axle and Hyundai elantra passenger side axle. At this point I'm ready to start test fitting everything, I found out the hard way that its impossible to get a 2g auto trans in the car with the engine still in the bay, also a giant pain in the ass to try to drop it in from the top. Luckily I already cut out my lower core support a couple years ago, so I made a cart I can drop the swap on and pull it out from the bottom. I ended having to cut a big hole in the passenger side frame rail and part of the rear subframe. I got everything lined up and the axles in a good position and I realized the trans mount is going to be a pain in the ass.

So the car is cut up, I've sold a few of my manual parts and I have a pretty good size list of parts I'm wanting for this build. When I started I was really hoping to have the car race ready for 2016 but at some point I bumped my head and decided I wanted to get rid of all my debt and start saving for a house, adulting is dumb I don't recommend it. The new plan was to buy parts when I had extra money but try and still make good progress.

Torn apart and ready for that big ol auto trans.

The pony express got in a fight with a death wheel, the death wheel won.

She's dirty but sorta in

Couple different mount options I was playing with, I wanted a factory style mount so its going to be a tough one.

Factory CSM mount

Factory 2g mount

Next week on my build thread catch up, I find a few parts that have been gathering dust to toss on the car and I buy more Mitsubishi junk!

Last edited by aaronsbig16g on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:00 am 

We bought our "fixer upper" house back in 08 and it all but killed my extra funds for fun stuff. But hey, fast forward to 2017 and the house is 80% updated and we've been paying an extra $100 a month so it'll be paid for in the next year or so.

I think I'd make a new frame rail mount for that trans maybe using a slightly smaller insert. This will give you more room. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 pm 
Some call me a god

Since I have been looking at houses I wished I had bought something two years ago. But I'm still saving trying to get a big down payment so I'll still have money for toys and to go racing.

Frame rail mount is actually done, just taking my time with the updates, didn't really want to dump everything at once lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:04 pm 
Some call me a god

Update time! At this point in the build I was really trying to just save money and watch out for good deals on parts so any progress was very slow. But since I was waiting on parts it gave me some time to install and make some things I have been putting off. A couple years ago I bought some really clean turbo side skirts from Cheaptalon, finally decided it was time to put them on the car. Got everything fitted up and ended up using rivnuts to fasten them to the car. Got them painted up and bolted up, which I think turned out great! Next up I have been wanting to make some door pulls since I didn't have a handle on the door because of the cage. I wanted something simple and came up with using a tow strap and used a rivnut to fasten it to the inside door skin.

Also during this time I had made the decision to sell my Cummins and buy something cheaper to tow with and buy a cheap car to DD, I was really getting sick of driving a big truck everyday. I had been tossing around the idea of a 5th mirage 4-door for a while, and of course thoughts of converting to an evo ran in the back of my head. Ended up running across some pictures of 2-door cyborgs and instantly fell in love. So I started searching for a 2-door coupe. I landed on a 2002 1.5 auto car that was blue and had only 75k miles. The car drove great, the paint looked ok and had recently been painted. When I looked at the car it was raining so it looked pretty good but once I got the car home and it dried out it wasn't very good at all had tons of orange peel and runs in the paint. I bought some wheels for it and drove it for a couple months, just really wasn't feeling the car. So I started looking for a unicorn, 5th gen mirage 1.8 with a manual. A couple weeks later I stumbled across one in Ohio, 2002 sliver mirage LS 1.8 with a 5-speed. It was at a dealership, ended up calling them and said they where have a sale that weekend and said it would probably sell quick. So I made the trip to check it out, it was a little more rough than the pictures showed but I couldn't argue with their sale price and ending up taking it home. I gave it a little bit of TLC (still needs more) but it cleaned up pretty nice. Plans for the mirage aka Side Bish are to swap to the cyborg bumpers, trunk, headlights, and maybe some coilovers, other than that keep it stock.

When the dealership said they where having a sale I thought it was BS, didn't think the car would be marked down that much!

Little "photoshoot" since I had both cars in one place.

JDM headlights, fender lights, and some slipstream installed! Needs moar low!

Tune in next to see if I actually make progress on this pos, also see if I break my suspension on my trip to the 2016 shootout!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:04 pm 

Skirts finish the car off nicely. I've also owned a few 5th gen Mirages too. They are awesome cars and make great DD's. I even had a 97 LS manual sedan 7-8 years ago. My daughter drives a 98 DE sedan now. I would love to do an Evo 4 clone but you're right, the coupes can be made to look pretty awesome too.

Some people have done the 3g eclipse 2.4 swap, the Mirage trans swaps over to the Eclipse bell housing. Then the DOHC heads from the early 2000's optimas and sonatas fit the 4G64 for a DOHC swap. I shouldn't have told you that, like you need something else to work on. :P

One guy in PR did the 3.8 mivec V6 from the 4th gen eclipse too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:31 pm 
Some call me a god

Yeah I've always wanted an Evo 4-6 but I really didn't want to put that much time and money into a something I was supposed to be daily driving lol. I have seen all the swaps, only thing that really caught my interest is the 3.8 mivec. :twisted: Would be super fun to dd with that engine in it, been trying to avoid looking up how its done.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:24 am 

Right before we bought the 15 Mirage we drove an 06 Eclipse GT with the 6 speed. Oh my God, for a stock car that thing was quick. Had it not been from Maryland and had a little rust underneath it would be in the driveway right now. It was red and I don't even like red cars but I was willing to look past that because of the mileage and the manual trans. I could only imagine that same drivetrain in a 5th gen Mirage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:54 pm 
Some call me a god

It's that time again! At this point it was time to go to shootout (2016) once again. And for the first time in 4 years I wasn't bringing my car, I really wasn't too upset figured it would be a relaxing weekend and I would get to actually watch some racing. Also a good opportunity to bring a bunch of parts to sell. So I filled up the mirage full of manual driveline parts and headed out.

Packed in a 1g trans, 3x rear ends with axles, an easy up, a bunch of other random parts, and two people's shit for the weekend. The rear suspension hated me.

I always love seeing weird swaps, also still have a thing for 2g's (was my first dsm.)

Image[/URL]

Of course had to check out Warren's crazy carbon creation.

Only other CSM I got because I suck at remembering to take pictures.

Ended up pretty much selling everything I brought and walked away with another rear end with a Frontline fab cover for cheap!

Shootout was a good time as always but I couldn't help feeling like I was missing out not being able to race. So it was time to really start to get moving on the car!

First thing on the list was to get the engine mounted solid and I could work on everything else from there. The timing belt mount was the first one to get the treatment. Before it had a energy suspension bushing, but since it wasn't really made for the car it seemed to be moving a little bit. So I had my buddy whip up this mount.

Next mount was the transmission side. This one took a while, I tried a few different things but nothing worked out how I liked it. So a buddy ended up coming over and giving me a hand. We ended up using part of a 2g trans bracket and part of a 1g torque solutions trans mount. Really liking how this turned out!

Next week I tackle the entire braking system and go way overboard with it.

Little sneak peak.

Last edited by aaronsbig16g on Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:49 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I like this update! VERY nice work on the trans mount. I think I follow the guy who made that carbon fiber roof on Instagram. Phydiux or something. I tried to get him to make me one but no response :lol:

Repost the picture of the timing belt side mount - the picture isn't showing up properly. Keep up the motivation and I'll be looking forward to your next update!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:03 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

That mount looks sick man, and love the frontline fab eye candy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:27 pm 
Some call me a god

Thanks guys, Pics are fixed. All the updates from hear on out should be really good.
Quote:
I like this update! VERY nice work on the trans mount. I think I follow the guy who made that carbon fiber roof on Instagram. Phydiux or something. I tried to get him to make me one but no response :lol:
Yeah Warren and Scott (phydiux) made all the car stuff, I have talked to them about making more but they would be pretty expensive and they don't really want to make more, its a ton of work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:05 am 
CSM Junkie

this is great, thanks for taking the time to post it up

Keane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:42 pm 
Some call me a god

Winter update! This started around December 2016. Something I have been wanting to do for a while is upgrade the brakes. I bought a wilwood light weight brake kit off my buddies Evo a couple years ago, I have been putting off installing them to overhaul the entire system. Instead of trying to mix and match brake boosters and prop valves to make something half way work I decided to delete the booster and go with a manual brake setup (also wanted to free up some room in the bay and loose some weight.) I wanted to do everything the right way so I went with a wilwood pedal and dual master cylinder set up, I called them up and they helped me out with the proper size master cylinders and what pedal I needed.

Got all my parts ordered and on the way, but the first task was do make some brackets for the wilwood calipers since the Evo ones will not fit. Me and a buddy spent a few nights making them and ended up working perfect.

Up next was the pedal and master cylinders. The first pedal I tried was a reverse mount master cylinder set up which I quickly found out wasn't going to work, good thing summit's return policy is really good. Even with the regular mount master cylinders it was still a pain to get the pedal where I wanted it, the steering rack was the biggest thing in the way. But I finally got every lined up where I wanted it, whipped up some brackets and bolted it down. Also had my buddy tig weld a couple of the wilwood pedal pads together to put it where I wanted it and also give it the automatic feel with a huge brake pedal. :lol:

And the fun part, making all new lines. Pretty happy with how they turned out, only had to redo a couple lines along the way! lol

And last but not least, I didn't want to totally ignore the rear brakes on the car. I would have liked to upgrade them but everything I looked into was too heavy for me or too expensive. So I just went with new rotors and pads.

Tune in next week when I decide I didn't have enough work to do all ready and make more poor choices.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:10 pm 

Very nice!! Kind of wish I had gone auto but not changing it now. Keep the updated coming!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next