4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:09 pm 
Restricted Newbie

i just brought a gt harness and over the weekend i install it but for some reason the car wont start . i have fuel but no spark any reason why .if did what will be the cause? been a member since 03 and frist time to post . thanks for the help csm 4 life :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:10 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

You need to be more specific. GT's came in turbo and non turbo(for the harness). What year(for car and harness)? Car or van(for your vehicle)? 1.6 liter or 1.5(for car and harness)?

Be as specific as you can and you have a higher chance for a specific reply.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:29 pm 
Restricted Newbie

The harness 89 dodge colt 1.6 turbo and I am trying to install into 91 mirage. the motor is a 90 eclipse gst also the cpu. I think I fry my cpu but I will be working on it tomorrow and try to get it start.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:00 am 
Some call me a god

When I did mine I swapped out the dash harness too. A few things are different between a 91 1.5L and an 89 1.6T model. It might not be the issue, but I recall mine having a few slight differences.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:19 am 
The Silent Administrator

4g61t harness with wire colors and ECU pinouts.

Click

1992 systems PDF, alternator, starter, etc.

Page 5 is where you find the starter system specifically. Hopefully the wire colors add up, likely they will.

Click

Your new best friend: 8)

www.lilevo.com/mirage/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:46 am 
Restricted Newbie

thank you guys i give it a shot most likey is the pinouts . i did had a 90 eclipse harness in it , starts and drive fine until i swap out the to the 89 gt harness that when it doesnt want to start . i try swaping out the ecu and still nonething . now i going to check the pinouts . i let you guys know if anything come up .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:25 am 
The Silent Administrator

Simple test is to check with a test light connected to a chassis ground or battery ground; probe end should go onto the little push pin connector feed to the solenoid on the starter. If you don't get it lighting up, check further back in the system. If it does light up, check to make sure the connections are tight and you don't have a resistance across each connection point.
Starter internals can corrode when you wash an engine bay with a hose, and parts hanging off the block. That's how mine decided to go out. Loud clank when activated but no rotation.

90 DSM and 89 Colt 4g61 harness are identical in terms of pinouts. I run a 90 DSM ECU on my 89 4g61t harness.

Does your starter make a sound when the key is put in the crank position? Does the MPI relay click in key forward or crank position?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:25 am 
The Silent Administrator

Simple test is to check with a test light connected to a chassis ground or battery ground; probe end should go onto the little push pin connector feed to the solenoid on the starter. If you don't get it lighting up, check further back in the system. If it does light up, check to make sure the connections are tight and you don't have a resistance across each connection point.
Starter internals can corrode when you wash an engine bay with a hose, and parts hanging off the block. That's how mine decided to go out. Loud clank when activated but no rotation.

90 DSM and 89 Colt 4g61 ECU harness are identical in terms of pinouts. I run a 90 DSM ECU on my 89 4g61t harness.

Does your starter make a sound when the key is put in the crank position? Does the MPI relay click in key forward or crank position?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:31 am 
Restricted Newbie

i forgot to mention it does rotate but the car will not fire up i check for spark none what so ever . i am gettin help so i came really check it well . also did the colt harness came with the fuse box on the battery . my harness didnt came with it. is ths correct

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 am 
The Silent Administrator

Colt harness runs to a fuse box at the front of RH fender/strut tower. That is where fuses and relays for the engine bay components (other than AC) are located. AC stuff is located in front of the power steering fluid reservoir and is likely the same between turbo and non-turbo for fuses and relays.

Check for fuel pump operation with the check wire on the firewall - it will be detailed if it is GND or PWR you apply to it to turn on the pump.

Removing the CAS and rotating it will confirm the injectors are firing, and the wiring to the CAS isn't broken and has good connection but then you have to set timing again.

Inspect the ECU for signs of damage: Google DSM ECU damage photos What to look for and have a sniff of the ECU also. If it smells like bad seafood, something could be leaking.

Also check for green terminals or broken wires at the PTU, the power transistor down at the drivers side of the head/intake manifold. 6 pin connector and black plastic module with a three screw plate holding it in place.

Image that's the unit down where the intake and head meet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:57 am 
Restricted Newbie

ok will do so . the mpi relay work also the fuel pump is working i can tell bye my fuel gauge . i have three ecu and swaping them out until one will works. but i am going to check ptu now and see if that the case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:08 am 
Restricted Newbie

is the red wire on the coil suppose to hot . beacause i think the red is feeding into the groud wire i think i might have the wrong coil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:17 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You need to find out if you have a 90 or 91/94 style coil pack setup.

Not sure about red wire thing, but here is an article from Tuners, showing 1989 Colt/1990 DSM to 1991-94 ignition stuff.

Click

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:52 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Ok after checkin the coil then I put out the harness and check continuity the whole harness and nonething until I put the ecu apart and this is what I found was the ecu is fry . So I ordered a new one and I'll back to you if anything changes. I try posted pic of the ecu but I can't figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:38 am 
The Silent Administrator

If you can host the pictures somewhere, you just need to be able to copy the image URL, like http://www.ecu.com/image.jpg and then put it in a format like this [im*]http://www.ecu.com/image.jp*[/im*] insert the 3 [g]'s, where I inserted *'s trying to show the link without it turning into a hyperlink.