4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I have had a Td05H turbo on my 4g61 and it went ok, butt want something bigger and possibly with a ball bearing what does anyone suggest or have done to theirs to get it cranking ??

Post subject:
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

A TD05H-14b (stock DSM turbo) should take a 4G61 Colt into the 110mph range through the quarter. Ripple thinks you can get 112-113mph out of it and I think he's probably right. This is the turbo I run and love it - quick spool and I can walk away from everything except Z06 Vettes and Vipers.

If you really want something bigger, try a TD05H-16G or the 16G with the bigger compressor wheel ($775 or $850 respectively from TRE). A small 16G should get you close to 118mph while I'd bet a big 16G could get you in the 120's. That's hauling.

If you really want to get crazy, bolt on a Forced Performance Green model. This turbo makes enough power to put over 400hp to the wheels on pump gas on a DSM and a local guy here in VA goes 11.7 @ 118mph with one. Should spool fairly well.

Personally, if a 14b doesn't feel like it's making power, I'd like to see more people figure out where they're losing the hp rather than bolting on a bigger turbo. For instance, do you have fuel control, 450 or bigger injectors, a 190lph or larger fuel pump, a decent intercooler?

Timing is everything on these cars. Datalog the thing and make sure you are getting good timing. If not, you're running out of fuel and likely need to upgrade the pump/injectors.

HTH,

Bill T.
E.T. Motorsports
'89 Colt GT Turbo
'95 Talon Tsi AWD

Post subject:
Restricted Newbie

i have a stock tdo4h on my 89 and i ported and polished it and manifold and im running 19 psi so its not all about sive but how you use it( ha haa ha) and with my 150 shot of nitrouse not nos im stuck breaking half shafts..........

Post subject:

[quote:134t115k]
On 2002-04-25 09:17, billnutz wrote:
A TD05H-14b (stock DSM turbo) should take a 4G61 Colt into the 110mph range through the quarter. Ripple thinks you can get 112-113mph out of it and I think he's probably right. This is the turbo I run and love it - quick spool and I can walk away from everything except Z06 Vettes and Vipers.

If you really want something bigger, try a TD05H-16G or the 16G with the bigger compressor wheel ($775 or $850 respectively from TRE). A small 16G should get you close to 118mph while I'd bet a big 16G could get you in the 120's. That's hauling.

If you really want to get crazy, bolt on a Forced Performance Green model. This turbo makes enough power to put over 400hp to the wheels on pump gas on a DSM and a local guy here in VA goes 11.7 @ 118mph with one. Should spool fairly well.

Personally, if a 14b doesn't feel like it's making power, I'd like to see more people figure out where they're losing the hp rather than bolting on a bigger turbo. For instance, do you have fuel control, 450 or bigger injectors, a 190lph or larger fuel pump, a decent intercooler?

Timing is everything on these cars. Datalog the thing and make sure you are getting good timing. If not, you're running out of fuel and likely need to upgrade the pump/injectors.

HTH,

Bill T.
E.T. Motorsports
'89 Colt GT Turbo
'95 Talon Tsi AWD
[/quote:134t115k]

Bill,

All those suggestions are great for a 4G63 engine. Not very practical putting a green on a 4G61.

The largest I would suggest on a 4g61 would be a small 16G. Cheap, works, done.

Post subject:

Well, I don't think any turbo that will take you 120+ mph will be that practical on the street, 1.6l or 2.0l. Of course, I'm talking drag strip practical, which to me means big boost and big mph. I'm not too worried about making boost below 3500rpms, that's why I have a 5-speed. It's just not likely that a small 16G will go over 120 mph through the 1/4, which is where I'd like to be.

Ripple has me convinced that the 1.6l will spool a big 16G without a problem, and he seems to know turbocharger physics as well as anyone I've talked to.

I'm not being argumentative here, but I get 17psi around 3300rpms on my 1.6l. This is with a stock manifold and turbo -- not far off from 2.0l spool characteristics.

Bill T.
E.T. Motorsports