4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:52 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Going over the coolant supply system in the Colt, and want to upgrade from standard coolant hose.

I have found many variations on the standard hose type, and althought a longer service life from an EPDM or similar rubber hose sounds good, I am either going to wrap the hose nearest the turbo/exhaust or I am going to install silicone hose in it's place.

Has anyone found a good silicone coolant hose (reinforced I assume?) that works well with our system pressure and close proximity to a turbo?

I have considered the aluminized wraps (sticker or velcro) for the hose, but am unsure which way to go.

I don't want to buy a 25' roll and local suppliers ask questions or say things like, "Why do you need a special type of hose ....." .... " We only sell trans cooler hose, not coolant specific hose ..... it is all we sell for hoses"

So close to banging head on wall ... see diagram above head on wall.

My local supplier (same province anyways) of by the foot sells push lock hose, the super stiff stuff. Would that work well, and then use a high automatic type tension clamp on the hose? Can't get away with spring clamps anymore, but I am considering it if nothing else works and traditional hoses.

Also considering this product which activates and forms a memory sealed band around your hose end:

Gates Power Grip Clamps

I think you guys see where I am going with this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:00 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Video of the Gates clamp shrinking process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O91YqHbp8c

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:04 am 
Some call me a god

Really not sold on those power grip clamps, not even close. Basic worm or T-bolt clamps for me, I use Velcro DEI heat sheathing in high temp areas.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:45 am 

I use the 1g ebay silicon hoses with great results . not every thing there has the right curves and angles. But you can use most of it and get the one with the lines for the heater core and vacuum lines its a little more but you will have everything matching and have extra for other stuff. The whole gates heat clamp i wouldn't trust.

if you feel like the ebay ones are too cheap to your liking ohm racing a vendor on dsmtuners.com sell the same silicon hose kits for double what the go for on ebay the only difference is instead of saying G plus on the hose its says ohm racing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:31 am 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
Really not sold on those power grip clamps, not even close. Basic worm or T-bolt clamps for me, I use Velcro DEI heat sheathing in high temp areas.
Been seeing mixed results and noticed they make a very specific tool for removal - IE not tight spot friendly. Saves hose but cutting manually might not.

Thanks for the backup on this Nocturnal.

@ acrazyjohnny:

I use the 1g ebay silicon hoses with great results . not every thing there has the right curves and angles. But you can use most of it and get the one with the lines for the heater core and vacuum lines its a little more but you will have everything matching and have extra for other stuff. The whole gates heat clamp i wouldn't trust.

if you feel like the ebay ones are too cheap to your liking ohm racing a vendor on dsmtuners.com sell the same silicon hose kits for double what the go for on ebay the only difference is instead of saying G plus on the hose its says ohm racing[/quote]

I bought the Ebay style silicone hose kit from RTMRacing, minus rad hoses. I need a bunch more hoses to be silicone in the 3/8"/10mm variety due to my oil cooler sandwich plate and having all the tubes running to the throttle body. Some lines will get new rubber/EPDM (not sure on EPDM unless using stiff spring clamps) and the rest will try for silicone in near the turbo and exhaust areas. Tried to get it all with the one kit but came up short due my concoction of 4g61t/1G 90/91+ stuff in the mix. My Evo3 turbo is water fed for now.

Thanks for the backup guys!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:50 pm 
The Silent Administrator

This has me leaning towards EPDM stuff, if I can get my hands on a less-than-25-foot-roll.

Gates comparison of their EPDM hose and a generic silicone hose, and the three major clamps - constant tension, spring clamp tension and elastomeric tension.

Did I mention my complete teardown in the engine bay came about due to overheating and constant coolant loss from aging seals in a rad top tank seam?

Le sigh.... and thousands of dollars later, it may roll again!

Stay tuned kids!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:12 pm 
The happy administrator

Just go all out.

http://www.killerglass.com/

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:36 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Ha! Gaaayyeee!

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:43 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Ha! Gaaayyeee!
That's definitely different, and weirdly interesting if you "need" to see what is in your piping.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:46 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I ended up with Gates Standard Hose White Stripe. Also using some silicone hoses where there are tight bends like at the coolant/oil cooler sandwich plate. DEI aluminized wrap in high heat areas to reduce radiant heat penetration/absorbtion/degredation effects over time. Wrapped my 02 housing, and downpipe to my flex just under the last 1/3 of the oil pan.
Ordered some clamps for the 3/8" ID hose and order got cancelled on Amazon - either someone bought them out or they are on back order now. re-using the spring clamps for now. No choice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:29 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hey guys, anyone have any feedback on this Evans coolant? Im not sure if its a Silicone base polymer that it doesn't heat!! Yup i saw this when the dude ran that dam car and after 5 to 8 laps opens the radiator cap and not even a sneaky fart came out?? Thus being said no heat build up no pressure and runs a stable temp. Any feedback would be good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:47 am 

Quote:
Hey guys, anyone have any feedback on this Evans coolant? Im not sure if its a Silicone base polymer that it doesn't heat!! Yup i saw this when the dude ran that dam car and after 5 to 8 laps opens the radiator cap and not even a sneaky fart came out?? Thus being said no heat build up no pressure and runs a stable temp. Any feedback would be good.
Evans is GREAT! The guy even talked with me for over 1/2 hr. But he was of an engineer mindset, NOT a dope. So, choose your questions AFTER reading more into it.
Going to change over my Ingersol Rand 185 diesel compressor when I get the chance to pull it and flush it correctly.

Errol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 am 
CSM Junkie

Holy thread revival

Keane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Yeah, a little off topic but all threads evolve somewhat.

Might want to start a thread for everyone to clue in with the new topic.