4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:13 am 

What happens to the 4g61 motors after they are swapped out for a 4g63?

I have placed adds to purchase this motor, had some responses, 3, some very far away where the freight would kill me, one was a block and crank which I bought from a member here.
Are these engines thrown away, melted or what. I understand how easy it is to go to the 63 and have that instant increase in power and the availability of parts for the 63 makes it even more logical, but where are the 61 that were taken out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:01 am 
The Silent Administrator

There are members that have some lying around, but you can also find them lying in the wreckers. 92-95 Hyundai Elantras had the 1.6L (4g61) or 1.8L (4g67) engines.
They can be machined for oil squirters, they use a slightly different timing cover mounting if adapting a 1.8L cover to a 1.6L (but doable, I did), and the motors are 100% made by Mitsubishi as far as we know. If you are switching out the pistons for turbo style (rings at a different height), then all you need is the block. You must have some Hyundai's lying around at the yards.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:57 am 

My guess is that most of them get scrapped. I know I held onto my perfect running 4G15 for about a year and then thought to myself, if I pulled it out of the car for no reason what's the chance it's going back in? So I called the local junkman and he came by and got it out of my way. I've seen a few 4g61t's on here for sale over the years but I don't think they ever sold. They're either still sitting around collecting dust or melted down.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:18 pm 

Quote:
There are members that have some lying around, but you can also find them lying in the wreckers. 92-95 Hyundai Elantras had the 1.6L (4g61) or 1.8L (4g67) engines.
They can be machined for oil squirters, they use a slightly different timing cover mounting if adapting a 1.8L cover to a 1.6L (but doable, I did), and the motors are 100% made by Mitsubishi as far as we know. If you are switching out the pistons for turbo style (rings at a different height), then all you need is the block. You must have some Hyundai's lying around at the yards.
I know they must be around, I also know about the elantras, but my main concern is that a lot of these motors are not kept in service or put up so others could use them to modify or to save gas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:24 pm 

Quote:
My guess is that most of them get scrapped. I know I held onto my perfect running 4G15 for about a year and then thought to myself, if I pulled it out of the car for no reason what's the chance it's going back in? So I called the local junkman and he came by and got it out of my way. I've seen a few 4g61t's on here for sale over the years but I don't think they ever sold. They're either still sitting around collecting dust or melted down.
Seen them here also on ebay but few and far in between, it is a shame they are being melted,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

To be honest, since they only made 1500 of these in turbo trim...finding them is going to be hard no matter what. Best option is to pull an NA one from an Elantra and use it.

I have a 4G61T in my GTT, but it's incredibly high mileage currently (300+KM). When it goes, I'll swap in a 4G63, because it'll be way cheaper than rebuilding the 1.6. I love small displacement engines, but the financial reality of the situation is such that it's just not feasible to rebuild old engines when there are other cheaper options :(.

Hell, it's getting harder and harder to find decent 4G63s now, so I might even end up making new mounts and swapping in a later mitsu engine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:23 am 
Some call me a god

I have a 1.6 from an LS sedan sitting on a stand, but I sold the head a few months ago.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:58 pm 

muhahahah i have a good shape 4g61t from a 89 GT sitting in my hands. only 190 000 km's on it too, just broken in ahhaha... needs some valve stem seals, but besides that its mint.\

only problem i live up in west coast of canada, so frieght would be a big issue.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:31 am 

Quote:
I have a 1.6 from an LS sedan sitting on a stand, but I sold the head a few months ago.
I have kept your info from before, I have a friend in New Jersey now on vacation but it was too far for him.
I will PM or call you.

Mandy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 am 

Quote:
muhahahah i have a good shape 4g61t from a 89 GT sitting in my hands. only 190 000 km's on it too, just broken in ahhaha... needs some valve stem seals, but besides that its mint.\

only problem i live up in west coast of canada, so frieght would be a big issue.

Very big issue. Shame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:05 am 

I did my part and saved one of these engines from the scrap pile. Got it for next to nothing, and put it back in service after almost a 2 year break.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:57 pm 
Some call me a god

I destroyed the 1.6 out of my white colt. :cry: But it got another 1.6 motor right back in it from the new owner. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:39 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Just wait 6 months this board goes in lulls. Half the year no body wants a 4g61t in there garage, and everyone's trying to almost give away there old nice condition one(sometimes free). And then the other half of the year, people are complaining they can't find a good condition one. Same goes for any specific (non turbo CSM car). Supply and demand swing sharply, almost monthly here. The big factor is that no one wants to pay for shipping, and the world is a big place :lol:

For example I tried to sell my nice sedan on the board, and I couldn't "give it away" for 250$. 2 years later, everyone wanted a nice condition sedan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:46 am 
The Silent Administrator

I'm not sure why shipping is such a big deal either. I've shipped transmission from one end of Canada to the other, and at the time, it cost me $90 CDN.
If there are deals on engine blocks, whether with internals or not, shipping should not be an issue if it's internal to the US. Heck, I just paid more for shipping on a big 16G with accessories (to Canada from the US), and double with taxes included. Consider yourselves lucky when nothing is crossing an international border.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:31 am 

Quote:
I'm not sure why shipping is such a big deal either. I've shipped transmission from one end of Canada to the other, and at the time, it cost me $90 CDN.
If there are deals on engine blocks, whether with internals or not, shipping should not be an issue if it's internal to the US. Heck, I just paid more for shipping on a big 16G with accessories (to Canada from the US), and double with taxes included. Consider yourselves lucky when nothing is crossing an international border.
Your point is well taken, but when freight is considered and it becomes part of the total package the more attractive another platform becomes.

The weight between the engines is almost nothing, most of the 61 engines I see available are up north, so freight to the south becomes more important.

My point is that if someone has a 61, no matter where they are they should give them the chance of a longer life.