4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:41 pm 

now officially running both dsm cvs....

2001 Ford Focus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
lol a year! I couldn't imaging being down more than a week. Drives me nuts staring at unfinished projects.
Yeah, man.....I learned a lot about patience. I didn't have a choice. No one here will ever explain why I had to use an AWD dsm axle on my turbo Mirage to make it work. Hundreds of dollars and three or four axles later, I finally got one to work in late January this year. Working on the car all summer had exhausted me, and I had to stop working on the car when snowflakes fell. fruit and banana sucked....I drove by it in a tractor, all winter long, wondering every day how I was going to fix the problem or if it would ever be fixed.

So yeah....I pretty much spent the first year only working on it and spending thousands, and wondering what the car would be like....some day. Now, that is nuts. I was really stressful trying to do all that crap on a farmer's schedule.

TAKE NOTE: You cannot use a DSM cv-axle in a CSM....and everyone here will tell you that, and swear by it up and down. However, I did, and it worked perfect....but I don't think anyone will ever be so *un*lucky as me.
I have a question, what suspension were you using?

I am currently having the same problem. My car ran for months with a dsm intermediate shaft, and a turbo mirage outer axle. Then the car went down for a couple months for some upgrades. One of many of the changes was the suspension. I put Evo3 coilovers all the way around. Now all of a sudden, the Turbo mirage axle is too short. If you try to bolt it up, it nearly pulls the inner CV joint apart trying to stretch the axle to fit. However a turbo dsm axle almost fits perfectly. But for some reason, my turbo dsm axle just ate itself apart on the dyno and broke all 3 rollers inside, and i dont have any explanation. The dsm axle fit perfectly, all i can think of is that the angle might have been cocked from the ride height or something

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 pm 

Quote:
i got DSM axles and intermediate shaft. 5000k so far no problems. found them in my barn. didnt have any csm ones and they went in perfectly
What suspension are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I will be running a n/a 4g63 with turbo tranny. what axles can i use?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 am 
Some call me a god

Either Mirage Turbo/ Colt GT axles or switch out your spindles with DSM/GVR4/Expo and use DSM/GVR4 CV shafts.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:08 pm 

SO switching the spindles, i will also b 5 lug correct? And then i can use any dsm axles or do they have to b awd o fwd?

Does anybody have part numbers, for the turbo colt/mirage intermediate shaft. and who has it....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:24 am 
Some call me a god

You can use FWD or AWD DSM CVs. If you want to stay 4 lug get a set of Expo or GVR4 spindles as they are the same lug pattern. Most places will sell you a one-piece CV for the Colt GT.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:45 pm 

Ok so i can just go my local auto parts. And buy the expo HUBS and swap them to the colt along with the 4g63 swap and i can just bolt the DSM axles right on....?

And Shaun when you say i can just go and buy the one piece Colt Gt axle, can i use those for the original 4g15 hubs or still need to expo hubs?

Sorry for my noob questions. But i just want to gather all the info, so i can complete my swap all in one weekend and ready to drive on monday....

Sincierly:
Tony.L
Thanks for all the helps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 pm 

I just read all this thread... And i see that somebody has DSM axles...

Ok me am going with a full 4g63t swap... And will have the 1g fwd dsm tranny.

And i plan on keeping the same colt/mirage hubs.

And i see that somebody here has that and is suing both DSM axles.
I wanted to know if they are both FWD dsm axles. and if they are both one piece axles thanks.

This is all i need to do the swap.. I cant wait. SO please tell me

that i can use my stock hubs. with 1g fwd tranny. n both 1g fwd axles.. Will that work? i

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I'm currently running 1g FWD axles in my car with no issues. I tried to use the 1g awd intermediate shaft so I could utilize the equal length halfshafts but that didn't work out for some reason. I'm going to get the car on a hoist and try again very soon.

But I have over 1k miles on these 1g axles from autozone.
and...

Quote:
Quote:
did you do anything to the seals on the colt/mirage's hub? The dsm axles have a bigger ring where it keeps the bearing together.
I personally haven't touched the hub's or seals period. I just went to autozone and got some free axles(I had dsm warranty's) and I installed them, no issues, about 1,200 miles on them now. I did snap an axle already but that wasn't due to improper fitment ;).
I would suggest you reread pages 7,8,9. Go ahead PM these guys for further details too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 am 

did i read that correctly?

Did someone say, if you are using galant vr4 or dsm spindles, you use dsm axles?

So the spindles affect axle length?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:52 am 
Some call me a god

The spindles indirectly affect the axle length. The wheel bearings are different and the Colt CVs will not fit the DSM/GVR4 spindles/bearings in the same manner that the DSM/GVR4 CVs will fit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:29 am 

dsm axles are a little longer than colt axles.

so using gvr4/dsm hubs requires a little more axle length.

This explains why colt axles are too short in my gvr4 hubbed colt gt. light bulb just kicked on.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:31 am 
Some call me a god

You got it man! Ever seen Dispicable Me? Light-bulb! LMAO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:09 am 
CSM Junkie

so FWD/AWD dsm axles WILL NOT work in a otherwise stock 89 colt GT 4g61t correct?................... UNLESS you have dsm/gvr4/expo hubs/knuckles??

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 12 Next