4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:01 pm 

I decided to keep the Colt so I started swapping the engine, ECU, and brakes over the weekend.

Spun bearing engine is out

5 lug and big 2 piston calipers going in

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm 

I gave up on the 5 lug conversion. The front went pretty well until it came time to retaper the tie rod end hole on the hub. I have a tie rod end reamer here at work that I used. I had my doubts that it would work and those doubts were confirmed after I started reaming it. The reamer was not able to penetrate all the way down the hole without making the hole too big for the tie rod end. I wasn't about to only ream halfway down the hole and leave half the shank unsupported.

Last night though, I started fiddling with the rear brakes after reading around that others have redrilled the rear hubs. I had to see for myself so I tore apart one side of both the Colt and the Talon. The face of the hub just doesn't have enough meat to redrill them safely so I just put the car back to 4 lug. Like others have mentioned the Talon hub is too large to work on the Colt.

I drove it to work this morning and did a few logs in Link. It is running a bit lean (high 11's low 12's) around 5K rpm so it is pulling timing. In spite of this the car feels strong. I will spend some time fine tuning over the next week and I then get it on the dyno.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:52 pm 

Well, I am still fine tuning with Link. Part throttle is still a little lean but WOT is pretty much spot on while idle is still all over the place depending on ambient temps. When it's warm out (90+) it will idle fine but in the morning on my way to work when it's in the 70's & 80's not so much. I've been reading as much as I can the ECM Tuning forums and I am starting to get a good handle on all the controls.

I also spent the week brainstorming this whole 5 lug issue. I just bit the bullet and ordered the '92 Sedan rear hubs and a Mustang II bump steer bolt kit from AFCO. We have a reamer at work specifically designed for the Mustang II Tie Rod taper so I feel a lot better about going this route. I just needed to get a couple 5/8" rod ends (also from work) and then I threaded a sleeve to couple the rod end(5/8 LH) to the inner tie rod(14mm x 1.5). So basically I ended up with a complete bump steer kit just to fix the tie rod taper issue I was having.

Unfortunately, I solved one problem but created another. The new tie rod set-up is longer overall than the OEM tie rod end. So now I will have to cut the inner tie rod to get proper toe.

I have some 16x7 +40 MB wheels from the last car I had that have been collecting dust for 2 years. I can't handle chrome so I just threw some Matte black on them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:39 am 

I wouldnt cut them.. u might cut em to short..better to have more adjustment than less.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:07 pm 

I am almost finished with the 5 lug swap up front. All I need is a tap that matches the inner tie rod threads. It is not 12mm x 1.25 as previously thought. As soon as I figure it out I can make my adapters. I also need to notch the struts a little bit more to get proper camber.

The rear will have to wait til next week.

I've been wanting to put the 2G airbox back on the car because the intake air temps have been crazy high with the open filter. So I took a little time today and made it happen.

I had already made the mounts for the box a while back.

The previous owner had already cut this rectangle opening I just modified it a little bit to fit a 4" round tube.

I used a 3.5" hose to make the template. (better to start with the hole too small and slowly work it to the proper size)

I had some 4" pipe sitting around to cut up.

Here it is riveted in place. Eventually I will weld it into place and fill in the holes.

I also had a 4" 90 degree left over from another project. I just turned it forward away from the tire. In the future I could make a ram air with a funnel mounted in the blinker hole.

Bottom view

Top view, looking through the now modified air box.

The fuse box had to be moved and I still need to make a proper battery tray but I managed to cram 10 lbs of ish in a 5 lb bag.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:40 pm 

I made a little pit stop by my buddy's shop on Friday as they prepared a couple 900+ HP Challengers to run the Mojave Mile. The owner of one of the Challengers also has a C6 Z06 so after a little taunting from the guys in the shop we went out and made a couple runs. I have been overly curious as to how my car would fair against a car known to trap 120+ in the 1/4. I gotta say that I was a little disappointed in the outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mshzxR44LeE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 pm 
Some call me a god

Z06 stock? Either way that's not bad man, not bad at all. I bet our cars would be just about the same, would be a good race 8)

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:12 pm 

Quote:
Z06 stock? Either way that's not bad man, not bad at all. I bet our cars would be just about the same, would be a good race 8)

Yeah, the Z was completely stock, all the way down to the run flats. I've been looking through the log and there is definitely some room for improvement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:54 am 

Been a while since an update. The car was parked for a year or so while I drove my new to me IS300/2JZGTE. However, I pulled the Lexus apart for some updates so the Colt got moved back to daily status. This car is just so damn much fun to drive. I went to set up our booth at this past weekend's NMCA event at Fontana on Friday. As I was leaving I stopped by the Autocross to hang out with my friends from Racing Byrds (they run the Autocross for Hotchkis). The course was all set up already so I made a few laps. Had a blast with the car being so tail happy with bald tires out back.

HAHA, look at that terrible camber curve

Saturday night was the local DSM meet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:36 pm 

It's been forever since an update but a week or two after my last post I killed the engine. The cars been collecting dust as I've been working on the house. Well, to my surprise I open the shop this weekend and find one of the cupboards came off the wall and fell onto the rear fender. I am honestly glad it was the Colt and not the IS but it still sucks. Especially when you find 1/4" thick bondo from a poorly fixed previous incident. I usually take these moments and turn around into a positive so I am very seriously thinking about installing fender flares. Now that I have a proper daily I think this car is going to get a bit of a race status transformation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:19 am 

Nice thinking. What are the candidates for the flares?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:07 pm 

Quote:
Nice thinking. What are the candidates for the flares?
I have been looking around at offroad sites trying to find a close match. Worst case scenario I will just cut, stretch, and fill the existing fenders. I'd like to get 245's all around but if I can go wider I certainly will try.

I may as well let the cat out of the bag. I picked up an AWD donor. I'm hoping to swap front suspensions as well. Gonna make her into an Autocross bruiser.

A little rustier than I had hoped but for the price I can't complain.

The subframe actually fit into the blast cabinet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:36 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Nice work here I can't wait to see how you manage to get the 2g rear awd setup in the colt.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:04 am 
CSM Junkie

not many use the 2g for AWD swap. nice choice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:07 am 

Looks like he hasn't been on here much since his last update. Wonder if he made anymore progress.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next