4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Turbo Issues
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:35 pm 

Alright, figured i'd start a new thread instead of continuing into the hard start thread since that issue is fixed.

I got some coolant and put it in today, was going to put some sort of radiator/coolant flush in it to get all the oil out, but decided to wait on that until i made sure the oil/coolant issues were fixed.

I started the car with the coolant, and it started pouring out of the turbo...couldnt tell if it was from a line etc. until I removed the turbo and the freeze plug just fell out...so i spose that the turbo did have water in it when the oil cooler froze/busted...not sure if the turbo is good or not now. I am heading to the junk yard tomorrow with a friend....though its sposed to rain so if it does we may not go since hes trying to pull a motor. If we go i'll look for a turbo...which i doubt i'll find since everyone wants to get them LOL. If we dont then i'll take the turbo to a friend that works at a machine shop and see if he thinks its fixable or what not. I removed the radiator and noticed it too had some swelling in the bottom of it (aluminum) so i'll possibly be finding a new or junkyard radiator as well.

I know its hard to say yes it can be fixed or not it cant without seeing, but do you guys have any experience in re-building a turbo? its a tdo5 16g. I'm sure theres more to tell but im disgusted so i'm just gonna start lookin for parts and re-build kits/prices to see if its even an option.

Any tips or advice are welcome...if anyone has a good turbo for a ridiculously cheap price let me know as im about completely broke now and am a couple steps back from where i was *sigh* spose if the weather is decent i can still put other things on the car..sux LOL

Also, any brand to flush the coolant to get the remaining oil out when i get back to that step would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Ben

Post subject: Re: Turbo Issues
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:37 pm 

Was looking around and it seems a machine shop might just be the right place to take it and see if i can get another plug pressed in. just not sure if any other damage was done. Depending on what happens tomorrow weather wise i'll let you guys know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:44 pm 

I just bought a E3 16g last week that needed rebuilt.. got the turbo last friday.. rebuilt kit yesterday and rebuilt it last night..took all of about 90 min... even got the upgraded 360 degree metal thrust bearing.

for you just the standard rebuild kit should be fine.. there 99 bucks.(the 59 dollar kit is for small 16g and similar turbos..not the evo3 ones.) (order last tues..shipped out wed.. got it yesterday. and im in az.. there in ar,).

http://gpopshop.com/products-page/mitsu ... build-kit/

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:49 pm 

nice, i ended up bringing it to a machine shop and my buddy popped a plug back in. Did some reading around and googling and seems everyone prefers to use cascade to flush the coolant system, so i just picked some up...but its sposed to be below freezing every night this week so i'm being delayed since im not chancing another freeze messing things up lol