4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:17 am 

Ok, so ive got 93 colt here that ive converted to accept a 4g63.

Ive got an evo3 transmission in which ive converted the ring gear to a dsm ring gear for compatability with USDM transfer cases ect...

Im having a little bit of trouble trying to figure out what the best drivetrain setup would be for rear-end/axel combination. It seems the evo3 rear axels are identical to the 2g rear dsm axels. Im assuming the best option would be to get a 2g rear diff and axels from a 95-96 awd manual (different tooth count on diff? lsd?) and run a 1g driveshaft with 1g tcase and evo 3 trans? Please note i DO have the evo 3 trailing arms installed in the rear to accept splined rear axels... My plan was to make my own bracing for the diff in the rear...

The other option would be 1g rear lsd diff with 2g axels but 1g inner cv cups im assuming.... also 1g tcase and evo 3 trans. Which diffs are compatible with 1g Tcases? i hear 97-99 2g rear diffs dont work with 1g tcases (different tooth count?) and that 95-96 manual are the only ones?

My only problem is that the 2g rear diffs are like $450 bucks which isnt horrible but not all that cheap. Ive found NO-ONE sells remanned 2g rear axels. The only ones you can get are 750 dollar + driveshaftshop axels and its not like im looking to run 550-600+ hp out of the box..

Any suggestions? I have been somewhat successfully ocasionally in finding evo3 rear axels on ebay.co.uk when evo3 drivetrain parts show up but... seems to be the only option.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:28 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

I've seen 2g DSM's go for $1000, you just have to be patient on craigslist/autotrader/CARS.com. It might be nice to pick a whole DSM if you have the space, and just sell off any parts you don't use for super cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:45 am 

Yea dont necessarily have the space for another dsm to sit around unfortunatly or time to part one out. ive considered it however...

im guessing the 2g rear diff and rear axels is the way to go with 1g driveshaft/tcase/evo3 trans converted to accept dsm ring gear??

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:25 am 

If you go to mirage forums and look for a thread by Postman he stuffed a complete 1g awd rear end in his 4g. Might be worth looking into and selling the evo 3 stuff that you have since 1g parts are super easy to find and cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am 

Thats the thing, car is already modified (rear trunk area) to accept the diff as per another setup other than swapping in the rear dsm subframe setup.

Personally im not wanting to go to that extreme of body modification with transplanting the entire rear sub-frame suspension and risking the suspension not being aligned properly at all anymore. Still want to be able to align it properly and not have to worry really.

Im guessing 2g rear axels and rear 95 manual diff is the way to go then with the 1g tcase and driveshaft and evo 3 modified trans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:55 pm 

I think you are somewhat on the right track. I have a 4g that is factory awd and I have been trying to find compatible USDM parts to replace mine with if/when I need to. I bought a 2g lsd rear diff but come to find out it uses the evo 1-3 style diff which is different than the 1g or 2g dsm (mounting points and housing). For you, a 2g rear diff would probably work fine since you are making the mounting brackets yourself.

As far as using the 2g rear axles goes, I have read before that this works, but according to a board member here who has done a couple of evo 3 conversions this is not true. He says that you have to use 2 of the shorter rear axles (not sure if left or right) for the mirage conversion.

And now the driveshaft. I dont know from experience but I am pretty sure a 1g driveshaft will be too long for a 4g mirage chassis. My 2 door 93 cyborg (which shares the same wheel base as the USDM coupe) has a shorter driveshaft that only has one carrier bearing instead of two like the 1g, 2g and galnt vr4.

I hope this helps. I can take pics and measure my driveshaft for you if need me too. Just PM me with any further questions.
-Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:46 pm 
CSM Expert

Doesnt a 1G rear subframe make the wheels stick out wide on a 4G?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:59 pm 

Ive still got the car, but i'm considering getting rid of it. lost a lot of interest in doing this as it would cost QUITE a bit to do it the way i want to and i cant justify dropping that much into a mirage/colt unfortunately. Not that i don't have the money to do so, its just... I would essentially be building the entire thing from scratch since it has no wiring or drive line or fuel system or anything in it electronic at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:32 pm 

You shouldn't give up so easily. AWD mirages are so much more fun than your typical crapbox dsm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:02 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Doesnt a 1G rear subframe make the wheels stick out wide on a 4G?
No. I think they even have the same width hub to hub.

No issues on the few we have done with "standard"; offset wheels.

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA