4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:27 am 

So. i searched around and found quite a few interesting photos for a 4G csm awd conversion using the stock FWD rear sub-frame. it looks do-able but obviously bracing is the MAJOR key to this working. You can see the two methods of bracing if you look closely. the 2nd picture is obviously just bolted to the sheet metal which WONT work at all and the first picture has some box steel from the sides and the back of the diff mounted to the subframe itself. overall needs more bracing but could work possibly.

However, i had a few questions about the crossmember in the engine bay and fitting the transfer case. as you can see some of the pics require HACKING of the stock cross member and cutting it to beyond what i consider even usefull anymore.... are there any ways around hacking the cross member that bad just to fit a tcase? id like to not chop the body mount off for the cross member IF POSSIBLE, but it if has to be done to clear then i guess it has to be done.

Any other methods to doing the front mods to fit the tcase or maybe is there someone that makes a crossmember thats modified that will fit and still be functional enough to support the roll stop mounts doing their job properly?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:05 pm 

Go to mirage forums and search for a thread by Postman, he just put an entire 1g rear subframe in his 4g sedan and it looks very clean. You could also ask him how he mounted the engine/tranny as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:08 pm 

Yeah i talked to postman, but he said he notched the entire frame in the rear to install it which would be wAAAY more fab work than i want to deal with.

I also had another question, what hubs do i run in the rear in order to fit the rear axels?? just run a set of fwd splined hubs pressed into the rear knuckles??? or do i need gvr4 knuckles??? im runnning 4 lug stock csm hubs up front and id like to stay 4 lug.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:20 pm 
Some call me a god

Run can run GVR4 hubs.....

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:20 pm 

I knew that much, but i was curious how the trailing arm setup is. i dont currently have my colt sitting here in my garage at the moment and im not sure if you can just press out the stub and bearing out of the rear control arm and press in the dsm one to allow the axle flanges to connect or does the stock bearing and stub on the control arm not go all the way through and would need massive modification and cutting to allow it to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:14 pm 

You would need an evo 1-3 rear lower control arms I believe. The stock ones have the axle stub welded in, so they're not removable at all unless you break out a plasma cutter and modify them. When I had my 4g I was thinking about using 1g dsm parts and trying to cut/weld them to the stock mirage arms. Not sure how that would work but it would take a bunch of time for sure. I still think it would be easier to just notch the frame rails and mount an entire 1g rear subframe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:16 pm 

Ok located a set of evo 3 trailing arms, but im still a little confused on the rear axel setup. i know the evo 3 trailing arms accept a cv that has a splined portion on the end and not a flange. the DSM rear diff has a splined portion at the diff and a flange portion at the other end. can i just swap out that end of the cv for a say another splined portion so it'll fit the evo3 spline hub flange?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:31 pm 
Some call me a god

2G DSMs have the splined CV end that protrudes through the hub. You may get lucky and be able to use 2G rear CVs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:40 pm 
Some call me a god

Someone once posted a diagram of the EVOIII rear subframe and drivetrain assembly but I can't remember who or what thread it was in. I am looking though...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 pm 

That would be great if i could use 2g rear axels. Do you know if the spline count is the same as a 1g?
I guess what im getting at is, could i use a 1g rear diff and 2g rear axels (if the axels work with the hubs?)

I managed to get the evo 3 rear trailing arms for 180 shipped (little pricey) but i figure since they're hard to come by that its worth it. im guessing if i decide to do the diff mounting as in the first post of this thread (with more bracing and support) that ill probably have to buy one of the 1/4 thick steel diff covers to keep from cracking the cover, or find a way to install some serviceable rubber press in bushings that the bolts can slide through to hold the diff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:57 am 
Some call me a god

$180 shipped is by no means bad.

The outer portions of FRONT CV shafts on 2Gs do have the same splines as 1G CV shafts. Since the rear CV shafts are totally different between 1Gs and 2Gs I am not sure if the inner portion of the shaft will work in the 1G differential. You may be able to separate the shaft assembly and use a 1G inner with the 2G shaft and outer. This is just speculation though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 am 

92-96 expos's, colt vista's and summits have the splined outer section too on the awd rear axles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 am 
Some call me a god

With the Expo/Vista CV I could see the outer portion being usable but nothing else as the inner portion has a truneon and bolts to the differential and has a shorter shaft. The combination that you are probably shooting for is Expo/Vist OR 2G outer with a 2G shaft and a 1G inner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:25 am 

Ok so from what i gather you can use the dsm rear diff and take the axel flanges + shaft + hub flanges from the expo differential and install this all into the dsm diff and use expo rear axles, OR you can use the expo rear diff and expo rear axels as the outer portion of the axel is splined and will fit into the evo 3 hub.

However... from what i understand the evo 3 lug pattern is not 4x100 like the stock colt front hubs???.... so im guessing if this is true id have to swap the hub flange to get the 4x100 to match the front to run the same wheels all the way around with the same bolt pattern.

I'm guessing i could press in front stock colt hub flanges to get the 4x100 probably... hopefully the axel splines are the same as the evo3 splined hub... I do know that the expo axels though fit the evo3 hubs, so if the expo rear axels have the same spline count as the stock 4g front hubs then im good! Again this is all speculating that the bolt pattern on the hubs are diffrent. if they're not then ive got nothing to worry about with the hub flange issue.

Good god this is getting to be a pain in the ass heh. im sure its worth it though.

Anyone happen to know where i can get expo rear axels or parts from an expo rear diff , specifically the axel hubs on the diff and the splined pin that goes through the diff that both hubs bolt to? ive got a 90 gsx lsd rear diff already...

edit: the stock front hubs on my 93 colt have 25 spline count on the outer axle that fits into the hub.

whats the spline count is on the evo 3 rear hubs or expo rear hubs? Also what about the spline count on 1g and 2g dsm rear hubs or gvr4?

Last edited by imaketirescry on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:45 am 

Alright, did some more searching and found some info finally about the evo3 splines sorta

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... s2289p7034

Specs say that the front outer cv spline count is 25 and the inner is 24 on the evo 3 axels.
and that it has a 54mm seal diameter. still cant find anything about the rears though.