4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well it's been 7 weeks to the day. And i now have an answer to the question i asked 7 weeks ago.

Cheap ebay fmic=200 bucks with shipping, and a whole lot of piping that i didn't really need, but the t bolt clamps were handy.

Voodoo boost controller- don't remember what i paid, have had this for years. I think 15 bucks.

Got 100 bucks for my cats, so i think i am somewhere around 600 for the big expences. Ironic that the cheap ebay intercooler was one of the main expences. I have no less than 600 dollars and no more than 1000 by the time you add up all the nickel and dime stuff.

As you all know this motor is all stock, and most likely a little tired. The car has no weight reduction whatsoever, both bumpers, full interior.

So i installed the intercooler yesterday. Not too happy about the way i did it, My car is not a sleeper anymore, that's for sure. But it seems to work awesome. The core is always cool and the charge pipes are cool to the touch now, I would imagine i got a huge drop in intake temps.
Today i installed a mbc and went to town. My first run (gtech) i did 14.25 again at 10 psi. Don't forget the last 14.25 run i did with the hood off and no interior. Then i upped the boost to 13, ran 14 flat. Was not looking to good at this point, but i kept trying. 15 psi i ran 13.5. At this point i was pretty happy that i got the car going this fast on so little money. I figured i would go no faster, fuel cut was right around the corner, but i tightened the ol ebay mbc a little more and tried again. 17 psi, spikes to 20, and still no fuel cut. That's a little weird. The car really comes to life at 17 i don't know what it is but it feels like another 20 hp compared to 15.

This is the good part= 12.77 at 110 mph!!!! I couldn't believe it! What a rush! From 13.5 to 12.7! i would have never though i would accomplish my goal time this soon, and this cheap and easy! This was my first and only attempt with 17 psi, i was so happy about that i didn't even bother to try it again. I am also leary about the no fuel cut at 17 psi. So i don't want to try any more boost until i get some sort of monitoring device. It's fast enough now. But I would think high 11's are very possible for under 1000 bucks. I still have the balance shafts and I'm sure with enough weight reduction you could lose another 200 lbs easy. And i'm 200 lbs myself, Somebody lighter could have much better results.

0-60 in 4.68 seconds.

I guess the answer to the question is, you can run high 12's for the price of the colt+ the donor car+a few hundred dollars worth of miscellaneous box iron, welding gas, wire, exhaust pipe, etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:45 pm 
Some call me a god

Could paint that inter cooler black, make it look a bit more like a rad. Congratulations on the times, I just picked up a d50 today for another project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:37 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Could paint that inter cooler black, make it look a bit more like a rad. Congratulations on the times, I just picked up a d50 today for another project.
Good stuff. Congrats pimpy on the times. The rwd projects are pretty fun, I should really spend more time on my 4g63t d50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

:o Omg that is great man, budget builds FTW!!!! thats awesome great work can't wait to get my awd hyundai done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:13 pm 

Damn. I wish I had only spent $1,000 to run 12's in mine. I'm feeling a little ill at the moment. I think I have around $7,000 in my Mirage and my best is a 12.2 at 118mph... I hate you... Not really... Kind of tho. :-P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

NICEE!!!

props man. I have a talon AWD i have a bit more then $1000 into it and ($1400 total including the talon's price)

and it will run low 14's or high 13's, but sure wont run 12's.

I wanna see actual timeslips!! 3G hatch on a 14b and SMIC at 17 psi seems a bit unbelivable.

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

If you look at the first pic, it's an aftermarket FMIC. I understand how it is hard to believe. I'm not sure i believe it either. It's just a gtech after all. IF (if) It's making 300 crank hp. And weighs 2500 lbs. I guess it's feasable. I know it's a lot faster from a roll than my FD3S was. And that says something, i think they run about 14 flat. And you automatically take off about a second for the awd, the numbers do add up. I don't know how it's possible to make 300 hp on 450cc injectors, 7mgte supra motors hit fuel cut around 300 hp and they have six 440s.

One of my friends is pushing me to take this thing to the track too. But i keep pissing and moaning about the battery cut off switch and i'm too cheap to buy a fire jacket. But we'll see.

Check out what i bought yesterday. I couldn't resist

550 bucks. Which is kinda over budget for me i know. But how could i not buy it? The bad part is it's fwd. Which really really sucks the big one. First gear at stock boost as soon as you hit about 5k it's a tireburner. It has like pretty new tires on it too. The car's in way too good of shape to pull the motor and stick it in something else too. Everything works, it's a sweet ride.

Why so cheap do you ask? It was at the auction, unreserved, and i noticed the wg actuator rod had fallen off. The previous owner must not know anything about turbos, musta thought the engine was dying due to lack of power. I put the rod back on and boosted away. It also had no a.c. I was a little dissapointed for no a.c, then i had a look see and the belt had ripped offand was still tangled up in there. I installed an old belt (i had one here from the colt swap) and the air works fine, so i'm gonna drive this thing when it's hot out.
And i'll drive it and drive it all the while thinking of what chassis is more deserving of the 4g63t that's in it. My initial thought is a chevy sprint, don't know of anyone who's done that. Or i could get another colt, and do a fwd swap. 4g sedan would be hot.
I noticed another talon on kijiji in edmonton, it's written off, and it has a 16g and supporting mods for 800 obo! It probably sold right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:09 pm 
Some call me a god

I don't think they would make you wear a fire jacket at SIR, I didn't have to until my turbo was not the original one for that engine. Good deal on that talon too, I am looking for a junked dsm. All I need off of it is the turbo for the D50. $800 is a bit much for the few things I would use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:07 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well here's the new daily driver. 200 bucks

First thing i did with this thing was drive it to the weight scale. It weighs 2050 lbs!!!!!
That's wayyy lighter than a 3g hatch. My plan is to use this as a daily driver (i drive 170 kms a day, so i kinda need mileage. And hope and pray every day for the engine to die. Then in goes the 4g63t from that blue talon. It'll be a front wheel drive, so it'll be easy. It looks like the main hurdle with this swap is the hydro clutch. It's gonna be a suckfest, and i have no idea how i will tackle it.

I'm getting way off topic here i know, i just wanted to let everybody know what a car o holic i am.
Ever since the colt swap, I don't think i will ever swap another motor( besides the 4g63t.)
I used to swap a lot of toyota motors. Mainly supra motors. Not anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:34 pm 
Some call me a god

Crap man, your starting to be like me. I use to have 6 vehicles, just sold the GTX today, I just dont have time for it but I really did want to keep it :cry: . It was getting over 40 mpg and was damn heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

So what are you going to do with the talon then? Don't strip that thing, it's way too nice to do so. I say seen if you can get more $ for it and then swap the 4g63t with the extra money you got. Or make the talon a DD and build a sick awd colt, just a few suggestion just don't see why ruin a great looking 1g 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:23 am 
CSM Junkie

Dont be swapping 63's into 4G colts. Its just not the cool thing to do. They dont go very fast when your done anyways. Not worth it in my opinion.

;)

-1992 Eagle Summit AWD 4g63t swap (SOLD)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:14 pm 
CSM Junkie

over 40? Shit i NEED a gtx too then. Must be the high gearing they have. I'm just dissapointed i didn't do the awd swap on a 4g car in the first place,, being it's so much lighter to begin with. Problem is, the talon is a little too good to strip. But i got it so cheap who cares? Maybe i could sell it for 2 grand at best maybe 3. The parts to do the swap would cost more than that most likely, so i might as well just strip the damn thing. I don't know. We'll see. I still have to get this colt running properly anyways. I think it needs a fuel pump. If that doesn't fix it, then i give up in goes the 4g63t.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Lookin good man.
How hard is it to do a swap like the one you are doing????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:20 pm 
CSM Junkie

Don't ask me about difficulty of engine swaps, The first (hybrid)engine swap i ever did was back in 98 or 99, i was about 19 or 20 years old, and i stuffed a 5mge supra 6 cylinder into a 73 celica without a clue what i was doing. It took me like 200 hours+ to do the job. I changed everything on that car to a supra, it now has all the brakes , suspension, and the complete rear suspension independent with discs and lsd.

Basically every hybrid i've done since then has been easy as pie compared to that.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next