4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:16 am 
CSM Junkie

Ok I measured the rear end several times (93 Hyundai Excel 4g63t) and I get from hub to hub width wise 53' inches and I measured a DSM 1g AWD subframe width and it's 56' inches. So know it's 3 inches longer so that leave 1 1/2 futher on each side when the AWD is centered. Are the colts/mirages the same thing that they are narrow like my Hyundai?

I really want to make this work for me with this car because I want to build something that's nasty and a sleeper on street tires. The only thing I could see to help with the width would be to get wheels that are offset a lot to compsate for beeing wide. So let me know what you guys got that would help me out here, thanks tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:12 am 
CSM Junkie

Could anyone help a brother out,lol. I need the measurement width wise from the rear of a fwd colt to know what parts I need for the AWD swap that I'm going to do to my Hyundai Excel this winter. I have a funny feling that the awd is going to be very long and the tires are going to sticl out way too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:16 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I wish I had one laying around to measure for you, but I don't. However my car uses a 8.8 Ford rear axle with mustang length axles in it and looks perfect. So the Colt rear axle width should be the same or very close to a stock 5.0 mustang, and this axle measurment should be much easier to find.

87 Conquest TSi, Coilover, huge sways
01 Dodge 2500 4wd cummins (tow rig)
91 Suzuki Samurai (Rock Crawler)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:39 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
I wish I had one laying around to measure for you, but I don't. However my car uses a 8.8 Ford rear axle with mustang length axles in it and looks perfect. So the Colt rear axle width should be the same or very close to a stock 5.0 mustang, and this axle measurment should be much easier to find.
Is the gear raito on the mustang rear end the same as the 1g rear diff? Will i don't know if I measured it right but I got 53' inches on the fwd rear and got 56' on the awd rear end. So I'm not sure what to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:24 pm 
Some call me a god

The excels and the csms share the same suspension geometry. You'll do fine. PLUS the negative camber of the AWD suspension will bring the tires in some

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
The excels and the csms share the same suspension geometry. You'll do fine. PLUS the negative camber of the AWD suspension will bring the tires in some
The rear suspesion is totally different than the CSMs because the car does have a McPherason struts in the back, the spring and shock are seperate, so it's going to be a challege for me for this swap. Also noticed that the same year hyundai scoupe is the same as the excel and there is a guy on car domain that did a awd swap here is the link:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2359272/5

If you noticed that the rear end sticks out a bit and that's what I'm consered on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:06 pm 
The Silent Administrator

He's running stupid offset on those aftermarket rims, I'm sure you can dial it back from drifter to something more sain and that might tuck under rolled fender lips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:54 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
He's running stupid offset on those aftermarket rims, I'm sure you can dial it back from drifter to something more sain and that might tuck under rolled fender lips.
Yeah that's what I'm hoping to do but he are some rear end/suspension shots from my hyundai:

And also I was thinking maybe I could find another rear end of and snaller car like mine that I could fab up to the car, ....hum? :twisted: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:37 pm 
Some call me a god

Check the 1/2 gen section. There was a guy there that did the AWD swap on one and the 2gen CSMs have a very similar rear end.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:43 am 
CSM Junkie

Going to measure the rear end of a colt today in the junk yard, so hopefully I can get some answers about the AWD swap I'm going to do for next winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:05 pm 
CSM Junkie

Dam it I couldn't do anything today raining like a bastard so I'll try tomorrow. New England weather sucks ass,lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:26 am 
CSM Junkie

Ok another attempt today to measure the width of the rear end of the fwd colt as well as a hyundai elantra, so that way I can find out my answer to my question, wish me luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:35 pm 
CSM Expert

The Excel uses trailing arm rear suspension and given that your going to have to reinvent just about everything doing an AWD swap. The rear end is nothing like the C50 CSMs and the rear track is a lot narrower which you have found out and also explains why that guy doing the AWD swap on the Scoupe has had to tub out the rear end.

The Elantra however shares pretty much the same torsen beam rear axle as the CSMs and has the same coil-over dampers and pickup point which would make conversion pretty much identical to the CSMs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:33 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
The Excel uses trailing arm rear suspension and given that your going to have to reinvent just about everything doing an AWD swap. The rear end is nothing like the C50 CSMs and the rear track is a lot narrower which you have found out and also explains why that guy doing the AWD swap on the Scoupe has had to tub out the rear end.

The Elantra however shares pretty much the same torsen beam rear axle as the CSMs and has the same coil-over dampers and pickup point which would make conversion pretty much identical to the CSMs.
Yes, your absloutely right I measured a colt today in the local pick apart and I measured it and it was 56' inches, which is the same as the awd 1g rear end. Also measured the rear end on a 94 hyundai elantra and it was 56' also, I was like WTF!!!!!!,lol. So there goes my plans for the awd swap for the excel went out the window now and might be doing a hyundai elantra instead. It sucks that I going to get rid of the car because I really like that car a lot and seeing how it would be more work than I could chew, it would be a crime to cut the car up to ruin it. But I really want to build a sick ass hyundai that's awd and unnoticeable to people,lol.

So for now drive it, fix it mint, maybe paint it and then winter time comes again it would be a hunt for a hyundai elantra. Also I really want to bring the hyundai to the DSM Shootout this year to also meet some of you guys there as well and show off the ride in person,lol.

Also if anyone that lives near me that has a hyundai elantra that I'm looking for please email or pm me info. of the car.