4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:30 pm 

in your second pic i see a detailed diagram where did get that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:56 am 
CSM Junkie

Gheeze! It's been a looong time since I was here. As Mark Twain said,"Rumors of my death are highly exagerated." About that "drawing", I can give you a copy if you will send me your email addy via PM. (or at least I think that I can make an attachment) It's really nothing but a free hand sketch, but I do have a photo saved.
I'm glad that there is still interest in this project. I now have the rearend ready to install. However I do have a PROBLEM. My four bolt axle on the driver side does NOT seem to want to fit. It seems to be just a little long and the retainer spring clip does not engage inside the diff.???? My parts all came separately. I THINK that the diff. and axles are from a first gen. Eclipse. I did convert from a three bolt to a four bolt. The four bolt axles came separately, so I am not sure whether they are 1st or 2nd Eclipse or even Gallant VR4's, or whatever. Are there any suggestions? I am trying to compare mine with after market axles, but they are difficult to find. Also, there are no identification numbers on the axle. Advice/help appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:14 am 
The Silent Administrator

Bill we must have a connection, because I thought to myself, "Did Bill build himself a cocoon with all the Silk he had saved up?" You've been hibernating, but it's glad to hear from you again.

Can you pull out the two inner axle stubs and measure them, the circlip location for one, must be in the same spot on both, or at least you will know whether one is too short and not getting to the engagement area while the other one will reach it, or one is too long and going past the point it should. I think you have a short inner axle stub, assuming the circlip spot is identical in travel from the outer most point of the stub (the part inserting to the pumpkin/diff) and the circlips are identical in width and uncompressed diameter to properly engage the differential attachment point.

Who can tell us whether 90/91+ or which ever years have different inner axle stubs or tooth count altogether?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:56 pm 

This is wierd, just last night I was thinking about this swap. I think there is a difference in the splines from 3 to 4 bolt axles, the 3 bolt have a smaller diameter(and less splines i think) than the 4 bolt. Also there are differences from lsd to open diff. the lsd has a longer splined section on one of the axles, to engage in a vicious coupler (much like the one in a awd trans) that is in the carrier. 2G dsm do not have bolts on the axles, they are all one piece, and IIRC galant VR4's only came with 3 bolt rears. I hope this is acurate and helpfull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:18 pm 
CSM Junkie

While not definitive, the info. is a help. At least it confirms that I am not just unable to get the thing in. I will be doing some measuring in re clip position and axle length. In hact, I don't remember a clip in the right side inner cv. I am also going to try and locate a 3-bolt shaft. If it will fit into the "pumpkin"(love that term), I will just swap the 4-bolt outer end so that I will have a4-bolt outer on a 3-bolt inner :rolleyes: . (That sounds like an "inny" and "outty" naval. :wink:) I've done worse.
So, does anyone have a 3-bolt rear left or a set that they will sell? Yes, Mr. administrator, I am going to go to the buy&sell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:37 pm 

I have two GVR4 rear axles that you can have if they will work for you. All GVR4's had 3 bolt rear pumpkins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:39 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
I have two GVR4 rear axles that you can have if they will work for you. All GVR4's had 3 bolt rear pumpkins.
The GVR4 rear axles are different. No GVR4 ever came with an LSD rear-end, so those axles will only work for him if he has a non-LSD 3-bolt. LSD rear-ends take a different axle, at least on the driver's side for sure, passenger may be the same though, I can't remember for sure.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:02 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up Tony! Well Bill I have a 3 bolt GVR4 rear pumpkin and both axles for free if you want them :P . I have a GVR4 driveshaft you can toss on the back of the truck too if you want it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 pm 
CSM Junkie

Well, that does have promise. Have you moved? Where is Stantonberg or whatever? I may have to drive down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:44 pm 

Quote:
Well, that does have promise. Have you moved? Where is Stantonberg or whatever? I may have to drive down.
Yeah we bought a house finally. Its only about 20 minutes from Wilson. I could also meet you in Emporia again some time if that would be better. If you toss me a few bucks for gas that would probably be about the same as shipping it. Plus like I said I have an extra driveshaft too if you need one, or a spare for that matter. Just need to move this stuff and don't want to toss it for scrap if someone needs it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:00 pm 

Looking good Bill, I cant wait to start my swap in two weeks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 am 

my email is dchandler85@hotmail.com plz send

Post subject: Re: Silky AWD progress
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

I'm back again. Somewhere I was worried because I could not get my rear axle to seal properly in the "pumpkin" diff. Having gotten my parts piecemeal at various times, I did not know the years for the various items and whether they were all compatible. So, I got a bunch
of different axles to see if one would fit. The VR4's are completely different, while the 3bolt axles are smaller in diameter, which accounts for more strength in the 4bolt axles. Well, nothing would fit! After full axle and diff dissambly, I found that I could fit them unassemblied. WTF! Then I noticed that I was putting them together on the opposite sides. Holy diarhea Batman! And that was the answer. The right side axle, the one with the little splined extension for the LSD, will only fit on the right side. The axles are not marked and there is nothing in the old Haynes Eclipse manual about it. :oops: Should have known. Indefence, I did not take them apart. Anyway, problem solved and the rear end is ready to be mounted. Here are some pics:
Here is the rear suspension from the Jyard.
Here are two shots of the suspension parts after disassembly, cleaning and painting. Ready to add the new urethane bushings.
Here you can see the new 4bolt hubs and bearings.
And here is the finished rear suspension all assembled with new rear camber control arms, up-graded antisway bar etc.
Here is the tranfer case, all rebuilt and pretty like the rear diff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:12 pm 
The happy administrator

Goddamn, that's a beautiful pic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:30 pm 

Bill, thats too nice to put up under the car :P . If you don't mind me asking what all is involved in rebuilding the transfer case? Is it as easy as swapping in new bearings or do you have to set the pre-loads like in a tranny rebuild with shims?