4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:50 am 

I have a 93 Mirage coupe that has an AWD 4g63 swap. I am planning on running the car that the drags, auto-x and on city streets. I don't know for sure what springs the car had on it when I got it, but I was told that they are (and they appear to be) stock, uncut 93 Eclipse GSX springs. The front end of the Mirage rides a tad high, even with the added swap weight. I would like to have a slight drop from the stock ride height to lower my center of gravity. I want the car to ride slightly higher in the front than the car pictured here does:

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1376798

The rear height of the car in the link looks pretty good. Currently at my disposal I have the set of used 93 GSX springs and a set of new AWD DSM springs from Sprint (2"drop on a DSM). Can I use the Sprint springs up front? How about out back? I am thinking that I may just install them and see what it looks like, but if I can avoid having to go through all the work, it would be ideal.

Another thing worth noting: I tried pushing the two sets of springs against the ground with my body weight and the Sprint springs were considerably MORE squishy. This seems a little counterintuitive to me (why would a lowering spring flex more than a stock spring?). I know that Sprint makes pretty cheap stuff, but the springs felt fine on my DSM.

Anyway, any help/direction is appreciated. If it matters, the springs will be mated to KYB AGX's. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:10 am 

Update:

I took the set of '93 AWD springs and cut the front ones about a coil and a half. It looks like the rear springs I have had already been cut (though I didn't know how much), so I just put them in without touching them. The car sits at a nice height in the front, but the car is raked forward about an inch (measuring at the top of the wheel well on the fender) so I will need to cut the rears if I am going stay with these springs. I drove the car and the suspension is quite tight. The rear of the car jumps around a bit when driving over 45mph on roads that have sizable cracks in them--and that is with the KYB AGX's set on the softest settings.

After I race at PINKS! All Out this weekend I am going to pull these springs and throw in the drop springs (from Sprint) that were in my Talon. I don't know specific spring rates, but the Sprint springs had considerably more give/felt softer when I pushed down on them with my body weight compared to the stockers. If anyone is interested I will grab some pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:48 pm 

If you know what spring rate you want, I can have a custom set of Eibach springs made as I'm a dealer for them. I have had custom springs made for my galant vr-4 and a csm that was owned by one of the members of this board.

I can tell you that my 3G sedan looked hideous, with a set of stock 1G awd springs in the rear. I had done the awd conversion to mine and the stock 1g springs make the car ride way too high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:00 pm 

Quote:
If you know what spring rate you want, I can have a custom set of Eibach springs made as I'm a dealer for them. I have had custom springs made for my galant vr-4 and a csm that was owned by one of the members of this board.

I can tell you that my 3G sedan looked hideous, with a set of stock 1G awd springs in the rear. I had done the awd conversion to mine and the stock 1g springs make the car ride way too high.
Thanks a lot for the offer. I pretty much have other things higher on my list of priorities for the car now though. After putting some miles (and launches) on the car the rear suspension settled a bit. The rake is not quite as bad now as it was. I am getting a new set of wheels and tires that are smaller than the ones I am running now and I will re-evaluate my suspension set up then.

As it stands the car rides pretty rough. You can feel all the bumps in the road but there is a fair amount of body roll. I think that is because the sway bar bushings are in pretty bad shape. I also have a pretty serious case of understeer. I am hoping the smaller rims and tires will help that.