4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: VR4 Hub questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:50 pm 
CSM Junkie

As I understand things, the '92 Galant VR4 hubs are the "best" (or better) choice for all four wheels. These things are EXPENSIVE. (hub shell and studs-$178; backing plate-$29; knuckle-$200!; bearing cover-$6.50; inner and outer bearings-$72; snap ring-$12=$497.50@setx4=$1,990 for all) I must be missing something here. What makes them sooo expensive? What are the advantages? What are alternatives? Are there parts that interchange, such as the knuckles? I think that we should have some good info. on this part of the conversion. Also, bearing, axle, and knuckle compatability and/or desireability. Imput, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:29 pm 
CSM Expert

Don't try and re-invent the wheel.

I've been running stock 1.5L front hubs and brakes and stock DSM rear components with the exception of the GVR4 4 lug spindles and rotors.

I'm running custom camber/caster plates up front with DSS coilovers and koni yellows all around.

I have the custom Mirage big brake kit just sitting here. I'm waiting to find two Wilwood calipers and then I will upgrade my front brakes.

What exactly are you trying to get out of GVR4 components that you can't get with cheap Mirage stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:47 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

People trying new things is what evolves the aftermarket performance of any model. Granted this is not the greatest example of good potential for a reasonably priced alternative but people reaching out into ideas that have not yet been attempted is not a bad thing and I wouldn't discourage it just because there are pre-existing options that get the job done.

Tom

'03 Trailblazer - Ours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:12 pm 
CSM Expert

Alright, in that case..

On an AWD setup for the rear, there is no difference in 1G T/E/L rear "hubs" and GVR4 components.

For the front, it's been discussed on here plenty of times. Install and deal with bumpsteer, blah blah, deal with super positive camber, blah blah.

If you want to know more, break it down and be specific about any questions you have. If you want to know specifically about rear components, ask that. I have a hard time answering questions when there are 6 different questions in one statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:50 pm 

Bill you have GVR4 fronts with willwood upgrade these will do you just fine. All you need to do is get the rear. I would go with Jason on using eclipse rear and change out the lug spindles and rotors to 4 lug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:48 pm 

The link I listed below is what I sourced for my conversion for front brake upgrade. http://forum.4g61t.org/viewtopic.php?t=9153

I also looked around and found the Galant GSX AWD to be a good source for Hubs both front and rear. Yes still have the camber problem in the front but thats a small price to pay.

The junkyards are full of these GSXs. I know because I have pulled two complete drivetrains to include rear subframes. Yes the gearing is much higher then TEL AWDs, and Galant VR4, but its available and very much a street light racer setup.

FWD Turbo Mirage final gear is 4.32
non turbo mirage is 4.10
AWD TEL/Galant VR4 is 3.55
Galant GSX AWD is 5.28

This setup was made really for rally cars and has been used for that alot. Especailly the Canadains. I know because the guy who gave me this insight raced up in that frozen tundra using this Galant GSX setup.

Oh yeah the rumor this tranny sucks, not true. Its not weak like many claim. The problem is its single syncro not double. Simple fix, have double syncros installed. Otherwise its the same tranny as the other AWDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:07 pm 

^^^There are fewer Galant GSX's built than GVR4's. You must have gotten lucky to run across two of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:54 pm 

Quote:
Oh yeah the rumor this tranny sucks, not true. Its not weak like many claim. The problem is its single syncro not double. Simple fix, have double syncros installed. Otherwise its the same tranny as the other AWDs.
Not true. The GGSX uses non-tapered bearings in several locations, just like NT DSM transmissions. They are weaker.

I'd also bet hard money that there is a difference in material properites between any of the gearsets for any of the DSMs, CSMs and Galants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:25 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
^^^There are fewer Galant GSX's built than GVR4's. You must have gotten lucky to run across two of them.

I'm with you. I've only seen 2 in person. my buddy bought one and theres some old man that has one. they are rare. grr. i want one. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:40 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:

I'm with you. I've only seen 2 in person. my buddy bought one and theres some old man that has one. they are rare. grr. i want one. :(
I have only seen one in the yards, and I swiped all four hubs :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:04 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I almost bought one for $40 one time but I didn't have a place to keep it :( I still hate myself for that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:39 am 
CSM Expert

I went with the DSM front spindals,hubs,rotors,calipers for a few reasons.

1.After walking around the junkyard for what felt like miles I compared all the setups I could find (3000gt's,galants,DSM's) and thought the DSM's where the best choisc.

2.3000gt's axles are way bigger and they looked like alot of trouble to match, where would you find a rear hub seal that will work on our axles?

3.you can get a part for the DSM's at any parts stre with out having to wait for them to order it.

4. I have so many spare parts for DSM's already so......

5. This will be a track car so I dont want the super heavy breaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:59 pm 
Some call me a god

So with the DSM steering knuckle, how far off was the tierod geometry compared to the CSM knuckle?

Post subject: Re: VR4 Hub questions
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:53 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
As I understand things, the '92 Galant VR4 hubs are the "best" (or better) choice for all four wheels. These things are EXPENSIVE. (hub shell and studs-$178; backing plate-$29; knuckle-$200!; bearing cover-$6.50; inner and outer bearings-$72; snap ring-$12=$497.50@setx4=$1,990 for all) I must be missing something here. What makes them sooo expensive? What are the advantages? What are alternatives? Are there parts that interchange, such as the knuckles? I think that we should have some good info. on this part of the conversion. Also, bearing, axle, and knuckle compatability and/or desireability. Imput, please.
Alot of galant owners ditch the rear steering and convert to 5 lug DSM hubs so the galant hubs they're not that hard to find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:49 am 
CSM Junkie

OK. I am still wondering what combo. to use: I have been contacted to pick up a set of '92 Talon 5-lug hubs. I am hopeful of getting a little wider stance to permit a little wider tire (now using 205's). That was the purpose of considering the Galant VR4's. I will flare the fenders on the outside to accomodate any overhang, and raise the top some. Is it advisable to convert to a 5-lug? Will my Wilwood front brake caliper upgrade be usable with the Talon rotors? I also have it in the back of my mind :rolleyes: to upgrade the rotors. I figure that there is a larger selection for Talon rotors.