4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: First Passes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:23 pm 
CSM Junkie

I made my first passes in the Colt last night at the Vegas strip. Conditions were far less than ideal. As Tretec puts it, "it's like an ice skating rink." That's exactly what it was since there was no track prep at all and it was fairly cold. (40-45deg)

I only got to make 2 passes. Both were less than what I was looking for, but I was getting a feel for the car and the track. I ran a 16.3 first pass with a 2.6 60ft. I eased it off the line and never got into full throttle until 3rd gear. The top of 2nd gear I was moving sideways like I was on ice. My logs show me throttle up twice in second before I gave up and put it in 3rd. I was getting quite a bit of knock at the top of 3rd. I had about 16 counts by 6500rpm. I also blew off my upper intercooler pipe from the intercooler. I have a cheap Home Depot rubber coupler I need to replace with something that actually works. Luckily, this was at the end of the run and probably didn't effect my time at all.

Second pass was a 15.3 with a 3.3 60ft. I got over ambitious on the start and spun badly. I got into second a little more and may have even hit full throttle. 3rd gear pull was good, but still had knock. I added fuel between both passes on the SAFC-II and got knock down to 10 counts.

There were way too many people there to make a good number of passes. I waited in line for over an hour to make my second pass. Part of this was due to track clean up. Some dick took fluids all the way down the track instead of pulling off. Also, the Mustang GT I was against on the second pass, drifted into the center and took out the timing markers like a dumb shit. Why is it Mustang and Honduh drivers seem to be the dumbest ones on the track?

I have a ton of work to do to get my time into the low 14's like I wanted. I think it's very possible to make a pass like that on street tires and an open diff. Hopefully I'll get to make some more passes before someone buys my car. We'll see.

Post subject: Re: First Passes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:34 pm 

sounds like your figuring your colt out :-) what is your setup if you dont mind me asking?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:40 pm 
Some call me a god

Is this a 4g61 or 4g63 car? You'll have no problem getting a low 14 with a damn near stock 4g63. First time I took mine to the track I was running 14.3-5s all night trapping 106-107 on street tires. Horrible 60s and no real traction till 3rd. Running a 15.3 with a 3.3 60' definitely shows a 14 sec pass is easily doable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

my friend had a stealth r/t and we went to the track a couple years ago. he tuned it using e manage. I had some bolt ons including tdo5 turbos headers front mount. well what im getting at is his intercooler pipe was loose but didnt pop off till the end of the day. best he ran was a 14 with some 15 second passes. once we tightened the pipe up after it blew off he ran a 12.6 @ like 110. Your knock may have been a rich knock from the loss of metered air.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:14 pm 
Good to you for trying! It takes a good feel to get traction in a high hp fwd. I should know I'm still trying-nearly 350 whp and only a 13.4, but at least I've never had a 3.3 60',lol. Really tho, keep it up, we'll get there 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:05 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Good to you for trying! It takes a good feel to get traction in a high hp fwd. I should know I'm still trying-nearly 350 whp and only a 13.4, but at least I've never had a 3.3 60',lol. Really tho, keep it up, we'll get there 8)
What are you trapping??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:41 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
what tires are you using, slicks, streets or drag radials?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:40 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
what tires are you using, slicks, streets or drag radials?
7 year old hard as nails 205/50-15 azensis, and usually trap around 110-112 but did get 114 on one pass.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:01 pm 
CSM Junkie

My setup is a basic 4G63T:

BS removed
Fidanza 8lbs Flywheel
Excedy Clutch
2.5" UICP
14b 14lbs boost
3" Downpipe back exhaust w/ cat and Magnaflow muffler
SAFC-II w/ stock 90 non EPROM
Hacked MAF (this is a tuning problem right now)
Walboro 255 w/ AFPR and stock 450cc injectors
running on General Exclaim UHP 205/45/16 tires

I know I have a low 14 second pass in here somewhere, but traction is a nightmare. I get better traction on the street. My knock could be rich knock, but O2s are showing .62v. It may seem REALLY low, but my O2 only goes to about .72v on full rich. Due to the hacked MAF I have my SAFC-II set at +40% at idle. I turned the high settings to +25% (or so) for the second pass above 5500rpm. Knock came down, but I shouldn't be knocking at all. I'll have to do some highway pulls in 3rd to get this thing tuned. I could tell it fell flat at the top of 3rd. My 1/8 mile speed was 72mph on my 16.3 @ 91 pass. Can't find my 15 second slip, but I'll post some logs for people to look at and see maybe where I have to do some more tuning to get it running right.