4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:25 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I have registered my Mirage to run the standing mile at a local event held at an air strip. Starting to read up now on what preparations I should do to get the car ready. I know nothing about the mile. Im looking for info on the tune, suspension setup, aerodynamics, safety, and any other helpful info. Not sure what mph to expect but the car will be making 500+ whp and weighs about 2350 with me. Thinking maybe I should roll out all boost 1 and 2 then add in nitrous for 3 and 4 then run out 5th all boost and maybe lower it with the ebc. Nitrous is jetted for 100shot, boost is at 28psi. The car has been sitting for about a year now, it runs and drives just need to track down a boost leak I believe as it is going rich under boost. Also last time I raced it I rolled on some bikes and it was only seeing 12degrees advance, I believe the stock ecm would give me 18-20 in the past but it has been a while since I played with this car since I had the evo for a while and now have an E46 M3.

Tons of info on my car can be found in a search. It is a eagle wiseco 2.0, old school crower stg. 3 cams, fp3065, magnus, single fogger wet, maft/eprom, crap tranny, ground control coilovers 250f 700r stock shocks, also it is on et streets cannot remember what size at the moment.

Am I insane? :o

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:42 pm 
Some call me a god

500hp....umm...I think you are going to hit the rev limiter in 5th gear for a while before you even hit the mile, but someone else will have to verify that. You had better contact Biglady112, as he has a car setup for that kind of action.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:05 pm 

I have a fwd dsm trans on some big et streets 16x10 I think. JP has gone 190+ on this gearing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:56 am 
Some call me a god

If the car can stay in one piece I would expect you to go 160-180. Doing anything more than that requires some serious power. I currently do not have the power to do what I want, but I am slowly working towards that goal. And my goal is 200mph in the standing mile.

I just say get the car as ready as you can, go have some fun and learn what you can from your first LSR event. There is a lot that goes on and a lot that happens in a mile. Just humble yourself and don't expect too much. Just try to bring the car home in one piece. That is always the most important. As well as yourself.

Steven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:11 am 
Some call me a god

Wow. Just did a little searching on this event. I am not liking what I see. Looks like it is going to be a half ass run event with safety not in the forefront of the event holders mind. Good luck and stay safe. You and the others are going to need it. I hope no one gets hurt. It might not end up pretty.

Steven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:56 pm 
Some call me a god

the biggest thing you can think of is safety. nothing else matters than that. and with that comes BRAKES. you have to haul your car down from 180 to 40 ish to make ANY kind of uturn at the end of a runway. if you feel anything is wrong its not worth wasting your life over. fix it right.

biggest checklist is

wheelbearings
brakes
tires
brake lines.

no fluid leaks

horsepower is secondary, after you are comfortable on the track.

try 20ish psi a few runs and get comfy, then turn it up and go balls to the wall.

keep in mind a Dynomometer is VERy hard on a car, this is a 20-30 second dyno run. expect things to get VERY hot.
and no you shouldn't run out of gear at all.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 pm 
CSM Expert

You should reach out to Mike Reichen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:16 pm 
Some call me a god

I think Grant and I helped with what is needed for this event. I have been to 6 LSR events now. And Grant has been to texas a few times. Not only that, I believe grant is going to give it a whirl next month down there.

We just want him to be safe, as that seems to be the last thing on the organizers mind.

Steven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:16 pm 
Some call me a god

its Graham

no i am not gonna be participating next month, as much as i want to, i am in the middle of a divorce right now so funds and time are tied up in legal proceedings. but a local dsmer will be there in his early 2g fwd and i will be a member of the support crew (for the mornings, until i have drank too much to care)

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:18 pm 
Some call me a god

p.s. mike reichen stood on the brakes at 200 mph with dsm "big brake" bolton parts. for the 0-200-0 challenge that he cleaned the clock with.

said it was the scariest thing he had ever done

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:29 pm 
Some call me a god

Oh shit. My brain said graham, but my fingers said grant. I am at work so I was hurrying between the customers. And I am not suppose to be on anyway.

Sorry to hear that man. I remember you saying you were going to make an effort.

Oh, and that is why I am mounting a parachute to my car. After watching Nick do three back to back runs in march with no chute, um yea, his brakes were on fire. Smoke pouring from them. Watching him just further drove home that I want/need one.

Good luck down there. He and I will be racing, but in Utah at World of Speed. We leave in 13 days.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:10 pm 

I ordered 1600s, COP, and am looking for a used dsmlink. I know the car will make more power with the E85 and I should be worrying about other stuff for the mile but it should be much easier to tune more reliable power and I will finally have timing control. I have done a little bit of researching on aero/suspension and have a list of stuff to do to the car.

steel brake lines (waiting to be installed)
new wheel bearings with synthetic grease (not sure if I am going to pull this off)
strengthen front and rear bumper (currently half mounted with zip ties)
add front and rear undertrays for aero and to help hold on bumper
adjust the suspension lower
swap out the bumpy 700lb rear springs for 350s
maybe look into limiting straps or traction bar to help with traction (any ideas?)
Take off the big mickeyTs and install new bfg drag radial 255/50s up front
rewire the nitrous for 50-75shot spool up shutting off at 20-25psi
maybe ditch the exhaust to help with aero and run straight out the bumper (added power bonus and wow factor)
remove wipers and mirrors to help with aero
Swap in a manual seatbelt if I can find one
new wideband sensor
fresh oil change
couple sets of spare plugs

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. I am still unsure about the tune, how conservative to keep the timing. Plan on having the boost around 28-30psi.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:54 pm 

Brake lines done.
Just noticed my magnus is cracked so I pulled it off today and will bring it to get rewelded for the third time.
Also noticed the swaybar bushings are gone and the front sway bar just kinda flops around. I always wondered why this is the only fwd car I have ever driven that oversteers when pushed in the turns.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:06 am 
2nd Banana

350# springs are still going to be bumpy as hell, just so you know.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 am 

I still want the rear stiff to help with weight transfer. I have the ground control kit for a dsm and I believe the spring rates were 450/350. I found the 700s laying around left over from a tein kit for an evo so I threw those in last year when getting my car ready for the shootout.