4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:59 am 
Some call me a god

What do they classify our cars as if they have the engine swapped, AWD conversions etc... Do our cars fall into any of the classes?

I was recently informed that I wouldn't be allowed to race without a helmet, since my car is faster than 13.99. Wanting to know what helmet to buy, I started digging. The track says it's IHRA sanctioned, so I started reading the IHRA rulebook. I started thinking superstock, but I have no idea if that's correct. If it is superstock, then we are all required to have a racing jacket?

Are AWD swapped cars even legal to run? From the wording in the rulebook, it looks like simply having forged internals is a disqualification. Things like this:
"HOOD: Full stock hood and bracing required. Hood openings and or hood scoops other
than original equipment prohibited." would automatically disqualify me, but it shows a picture of 2008 champion Craig Marshall's Grand Am with a huge hood scoop on it. WTF?

Am I reading the wrong section?

Here's a link to the IHRA 2009 rulebook:
http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/pub ... m=1203&l=1

I'm just worried that I'll buy a helmet, and they'll say I need a jacket, I'll buy a jacket, and they'll tell me I need a N/A 1.5L in my car etc.

Keep in mind, I just want to run for the fun of it. I don't care about being in the professiolal circut.

Last edited by Coltsfan on Mon May 25, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:56 am 
Some call me a god

I was informed by the track that I go to a few years ago that the helmet has to be atleast a "snell 05" and DOT approved. The jacket was required for me because it is turbo charged.

I am not too sure about all the different types of classes but last year I was able to run in street legals and sport compact runs.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:08 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

The helmet you will need no matter what. I do not think they even expire. No matter what car you have or drive you will need it. So even if they don't let your car run in a class you will still need it for test n tune or whatever they call it at your track.

The jacket is 60$. I ended up having to buy one after getting into it with a official about not wearing one. I have to admit it is a nice jacket and I feel kinda cool wearing it at the track even now when I don't have a fast car.

As for the classes. I tried that link and it would not load (probably my crappy internet). When we ran the import face off they let my car run (we called ahead to make sure) as a stock drivetrain car. The don't look at it as your car came with a 1.5L but what the chassis came with from the factory. Thats why a 88 camaro or whatever that came with a v6 in it can have a 400 small block in it. The chassis came factory with that motor or motor family.

The same applies to the colt. The car came with a factory 4G61t in it and the 4G63t is in the same family of engines with a turbo (single power adder) and also the car came outside the U.S. in AWD configuration. So a AWD 4G63t Colt being in a stock class is no more of a stretch then a random big block V8 car.

The best thing you can do is the call the track ahead of time. There is always somebody there who can help you and point you in the right direction. It is in the track and the IHRA's intrest to let you run.
On the flip side, don't forget that most of the tracks do not have the patience with the 4cyl guys that they will have with a v8 guy. If they tell you "no" that you cannot run in a particular class, ask them if there is any other class that you can run. If they tell you no, when you get to the track ask a official or go to the tower and speak to somebody again. Be patient and professional. Tell them that "persons name" said that you would not fit into a class, but since I am here mabye somebody could look at my car and squeze me in.

I hope this helps and best of luck

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:45 pm 
Some call me a god

Wow thanks! Those are the kinds of answers I needed to hear. $60 is nice. I was expecting to hear, $250 for a helmet, and another $350 for the jacket, but that's not so bad. As the saying goes you gotta pay to play.

Since it doesn't seem like they want to kick me out of the track for driving an evil abomination, I'm going to purchase the equipment, and continue modifying my car untill they tell me it's too much. Then I'll step it back one notch, Muh ha ha ha...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:16 pm 
Some call me a god

Link fixed.