4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: turbo question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:47 pm 

do you guys think a t-66 turbo is to big for a 4g63 that gets driven on the street and it will spend some time at the track it has bc 272s aluminum flywheel no balance shafts stock bottom end 2g maf and 550s when it was in my 1g it had the same setup but it had first gen maf 510s small 16g puishment racing front mount 16 psi of boost and no tune and ran 14.01 with a slippen clutch and a junk awd tranns that would not let me shift in to 2nd for about 30 feet thanks for any input

Post subject: Re: turbo question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:17 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
do you guys think a t-66 turbo is to big for a 4g63 that gets driven on the street and it will spend some time at the track it has bc 272s aluminum flywheel no balance shafts stock bottom end 2g maf and 550s when it was in my 1g it had the same setup but it had first gen maf 510s small 16g puishment racing front mount 16 psi of boost and no tune and ran 14.01 with a slippen clutch and a junk awd tranns that would not let me shift in to 2nd for about 30 feet thanks for any input
It will be pretty laggy, and you'll want a better fuel system and engine management setup to really take advantage of a turbo like that. 550's and a 2g MAF simply won't cut it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
It will be pretty laggy, and you'll want a better fuel system and engine management setup to really take advantage of a turbo like that. 550's and a 2g MAF simply won't cut it.
so should get a smaller turbo or bigger everything else

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:48 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Stick to the 16g and start upgrading everything else. A CSM can go plenty fast on a 16g for most people, 120mph traps aren't out of the question if you really know what you're doing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:11 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Stick to the 16g and start upgrading everything else. A CSM can go plenty fast on a 16g for most people, 120mph traps aren't out of the question if you really know what you're doing.
what should i upgrade i would like to be in 11s

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:01 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
what should i upgrade i would like to be in 11s
Get yourself a really big pair of slicks, for one thing. If you have to ask what it takes to be in the 11's, then you're not ready to run 11's. Start going to the track as often as possible, learn how to drive your car, learn how to tune your car, and add parts accordingly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:51 am 

a know alot about cars i did the 4g63t swap on my colt and built my motor i just dont know what combo works and i am going to run dsmlink or aem and have somone who knows how to tune tune it i just was wondering what was the right parts combo to get started

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
a know alot about cars i did the 4g63t swap on my colt and built my motor i just dont know what combo works and i am going to run dsmlink or aem and have somone who knows how to tune tune it i just was wondering what was the right parts combo to get started
Well you're on the right track with DSMLink or AEM, obviously you need a wideband of some sort. You will need a decent fuel system, race gas, and a turbo that will support around 400whp, and that will get you into the 11's with slicks and good driving. A decent clutch and tranny setup is obviously important as well. A 50 trim turbo is solid, something like a PTE 50 trim or an FP Green will get you there. If you've got money, a GT35R is pretty much the best all-around turbo for a street/strip type car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:10 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Well you're on the right track with DSMLink or AEM, obviously you need a wideband of some sort. You will need a decent fuel system, race gas, and a turbo that will support around 400whp, and that will get you into the 11's with slicks and good driving. A decent clutch and tranny setup is obviously important as well. A 50 trim turbo is solid, something like a PTE 50 trim or an FP Green will get you there. If you've got money, a GT35R is pretty much the best all-around turbo for a street/strip type car.
i was thinking of a gt35r what do they go for new or used and what is a good injector to get started with and can i still go with 2nd gen maff and what bout the rest my parts good or bad i like the cams but what do you think

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:48 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
i was thinking of a gt35r what do they go for new or used and what is a good injector to get started with and can i still go with 2nd gen maff and what bout the rest my parts good or bad i like the cams but what do you think
Usually around $1,300. If you want to run a turbo like that, you'll want at least 1,000cc injectors. You can run a 2g MAF, but it's not ideal. You'd be better off with a DSMLink and have it run a GM MAF blow-thru.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:03 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Usually around $1,300. If you want to run a turbo like that, you'll want at least 1,000cc injectors. You can run a 2g MAF, but it's not ideal. You'd be better off with a DSMLink and have it run a GM MAF blow-thru.
i had a ported 3 inch maf i was going to put on then i read how much you have to tune it because they are only preset at somthing like 72 degrees but do you still have to adjust them all the time when you run the dsm link because if so thats not to appealling to me ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:24 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
i had a ported 3 inch maf i was going to put on then i read how much you have to tune it because they are only preset at somthing like 72 degrees but do you still have to adjust them all the time when you run the dsm link because if so thats not to appealling to me ?
No...that's not true. If you use a MAF Translator then you just plug it in and adjust for your injector size. If you have an EPROM ECU then it's better to have the ECU sent off to have a custom chip burned for your injector size and set the MAF Translator up like the car is stock. DSMLink is a whole seperate deal, only the newest version has a built-in MAF translator.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:34 am 

Quote:
Quote:
No...that's not true. If you use a MAF Translator then you just plug it in and adjust for your injector size. If you have an EPROM ECU then it's better to have the ECU sent off to have a custom chip burned for your injector size and set the MAF Translator up like the car is stock. DSMLink is a whole seperate deal, only the newest version has a built-in MAF translator.
my bad i just read that you have to always be tuning on youre translator because they dont know the temp differance i have never even saw one up close so i cant quote anything

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:47 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
my bad i just read that you have to always be tuning on youre translator because they dont know the temp differance i have never even saw one up close so i cant quote anything
Some people have better luck with it than others. Generally you never tune on the translator itself, you run an S'AFC and fine tune the car using that, in conjunction with a wideband of course.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:56 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Some people have better luck with it than others. Generally you never tune on the translator itself, you run an S'AFC and fine tune the car using that, in conjunction with a wideband of course.
my car has an afc2 so then use the and dsmlink or aem and i can run gm maf possibly little to no prob also you dont use afc on aem or do you