Finished project after six years... 1989 Turbo
Page 1 of 1

Author:  big&bad [ Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:42 am ]
Post subject:  Finished project after six years... 1989 Turbo

Well, six years ago I bought Mysteks black Mirage Turbo from Poland.
I thought, it would be a fast project, but after dismantling the first parts, I knew better...
The good thing - the car was cheap, and all parts had been in place.
The bad thing - quite every part made of steel was rusted or broken.
So, it took two years to dismantle the car down to every single bolt, catalogize it and decide if a rebuildt was possible, or had to be replaced by an overhauled used part. Or had to be remanufactured...
At my „pigsty“, my private barn and garage, I had a 1989 Mitsubishi Colt GTI 1.6 as a donor car for most mechanic and interior parts. Also, I bought a quite rust free 1990 Colt Glxi 1.5 as a donor car for all the sheet metal...
The list of the to-does what endless, and the list of parts of things to be organized not very much smaller..
Most important, my metal-specialist had to drill out every welding point of the donor and put it beside.
Then, we identified all parts of the Mirage that had to be replaced:
- both front floor pans
- rockers
- window frame
- lower B-pillars
- doors
- fenders
- rear wheel arches
- trunk pan
- rear axle mounts
- front strut mounts
The complete shell was sandblasted and welded together, primered, fillered, painted and sealed...
After this, another friend started with the rebuildt of the engine. This was completely dismantled, too, cleaned, milled and honed. I bought new pistons and rods from CleggEngine, the Turbo was rebuilt by Turbo-Zentrum Berlin. All gaskets had been replaced, too, the crank became micropolished and fine-balanced...
So, we started with the next parts: The complete axles, brakes and suspension. I took these parts from the Gti - they are the same - and overhauled everything. The calipers had been cleaned, new bushings, sealings, pistons. New brake lines. All parts before assembly sandblasted, primered and painted. All sliding areas micropolished. At the axle shafts, new bearings, rings, boots, new paint and balancing. All arms new bushings, all bolts cleaned, sandblasted and yellow zinked. New shock absorbers, lower springs from the Gti. At the end, it was like brand-new.
Some friends took care of the interior. I could get a new carpet from the US. For the seats, we had to check every rail, every spring or lever from all 3 cars. Finally, we had a complete set, but the outer grey sides had to be remanufactured by an upholstery. The upper of the dashboard had to be replaced because of cracks with the Glxi - for gods sake, it was the same color and style.
The gauge bezel was complete crap and replaced. The transparent cover was scratched, we could replace it with one of a donor car.
The headliner was cleaned by a professional carpet cleaner and looks like new.
Unfortunately, the original column switch was broken. All three available parts from three different models were dismantled and could manufactur one that works, with all functions.
The complete harness was inspected, every cable checked for resistance. A dozend of them had to be replaced. We cut the old main insulation, replaced the cables and mantled all again. All connectors had been checked, loose pins or sockets had be re-pinned.
Every rubber or plastic part were cleaned and soaked for weeks in a professional softening fluid. Rusty parts at the metall interior fasteners brushed with a micro-brush and painted.
The plastic reservoirs for the windshield or the coolant had been cleaned with hydrogen peroxyd until they looked as new.
Missing parts had been ordered by Amayama in Japan, at US suppliers or I could get some from forum members here - thx a lot!
After 3.5 years, we made it - it was finished! Now, the hardest part started: the official registration in Germany.
Just for your understanding: every car registered in Germany needs a „allgemeine Betriebserlaubnis“, a general permit to use german roads. For normally, this is given by the DOT to the car manufacturer. But the Mirage was never sold in Germany, so I had to do the work.
It took 4.5 month, several tests and inspections, but now I got it 100% proof legal... Including the certificate that the car is 100% original and because of its age a historic car...

Author:  big&bad [ Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Finished project after six years... 1989 Turbo


9308743F-7C2E-4106-A0D9-62B32695D1DA.jpeg [ 127.25 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]
A11F58E5-5874-44EE-852E-6FD2E6CE6438.jpeg [ 127.25 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]

Author:  big&bad [ Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Finished project after six years... 1989 Turbo


E5DCEC98-F36A-4189-AC42-027CED13862A.jpeg [ 140.33 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]

Author:  big&bad [ Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Finished project after six years... 1989 Turbo


39CD4991-AA7E-46A9-9F55-67B1E2C69F3F.jpeg [ 127.1 KiB | Viewed 1593 times ]

Author:  arrowhead [ Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Finished project after six years... 1989 Turbo

Quite bit of work and patience, but the results look real good, congratulations.

Author:  quikgt [ Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Finished project after six years... 1989 Turbo

A LOT of work you did-and the results look fantastic!
Let’s see some interior and under hood pics.

Author:  Flying Eagle [ Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Finished project after six years... 1989 Turbo

Biggest build to date on one of these, in terms of restoration that is!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC-05:00
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited