4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:12 am 

I bought a 1989 mitsu mirage from a member on this site (don't remember his name, but you can look at my previous posts as I don't have many) with a "blown headgasket". I got multiple stories from him and it was VERY confusing, but from the sound of things, it seemed as though he installed dsmlink, some 680cc injectors, and an evo 8 maf, and it started smoking (poor tune?), so he assumed it was the headgasket and pulled the head. I got the car, the bottom end looked fine and the head looked fine, so I went to mitsu and got all new gaskets and threw it back together. I bought the car with the intention of selling it, so I haven't driven it much. This is a running 1989 mirage GT with a 4g63. I drove it once about a mile up and down my local hills, and here are the things I noticed which I would adress if I were to keep it.

The tune could use some cleaning up, Im selling the car with a oem ecu and a 1g maf, along with 450cc injectors, so you can't tune with dsmlink, but the car stalls sometimes when you put the clutch in. It is exactly like my talon did after the act clutch was installed, and is 100% due to the fact that the lowered rotational enercia allows the motor to slow down too fast. If dsmlink is purchased for this car, you can adjust the cruise rpm so that it won't stall in such a mannar. The car also has no exhaust, its an open o2 housing. The starter motor's solenoid is going bad, so sometimes when you go to start it you just hear the starter motor spinning, but normally after 3 or so tries it works and I know its the starter motor for a fact. The paint isn't in the best condition, as mentioned in the original sellers post. The door locks are broken, but it should be an easy fix. (I'll be honest here, I tried to slim jim the car when I locked the key in it, and broke these little purple/pink plastic tabs in there.) I think thats all, I don't remeber testing the radio and other interior things, but the brake lights and reverse lights worked. I would also recomend replacing the drivers seat and the tires. The ecu I am including had the capacitors replaced, but still malfunctioned on me about 3 times over the course of a couple hundred miles, so I would suggest replacing it asap.

The good:
rebuilt transmission with a quiafe lsd (that diff right there is worth 1000 dollars)
act 2600 pressure plate with (what I believe to be) a street disk and act lightweight flywheel
14b turbocharger with approx 93k miles on it off my talon
oem piping with 1g bov
power steering works like a charm
I was told the brakes were recently rebuilt. I wasn't aware that replacing the rotors was a rebuilding process, but apparently on these cars need it.
I'll post more as the questions arise and I remember other things.
191k miles on the clock
This car is CARB certified. Once you get an exhaust for it, you can legally take it to any smog shop and have it smogged. If the technician were to notice that the car is a 2 liter instead of the oem 1.6 liter, he couldn't do anything because it legally has a 2 liter.

I'll be pleased to answer any questions about the car, but if you pm me with an offer I find insulting, I will perminately ignore your user name.

Im starting off asking 3500 OBO. I don't want to hear it if you think thats pricy, this is a rare car with some expensive work done to it. The motor is good and it is running. I've seen non running ones of these cars selling for close to 2k, and the original purchase+ all the gaskets/parts needed to get this car running alone was above 2k. Not to mention the time I had to take off work to work on this thing and the time it took me to diagnose the problem.

Here are some pictures, I haven't washed it and its been sitting under a tree, so don't be surprised next weekend when I post the pictures of it washed and it looks 100x better.

Obviously, I've owned my fair share of turbo mitsus, so if you want anything, like an fmic or smic for this car, it can be arranged in the sale as well.

Last edited by tstkl on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:17 am 

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/tstkl/mirage/

some more images and some a video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:49 am 
The Silent Administrator

Would you consider adding the car to the VIN Registry? I hope this car goes to a good home. I'm a little partial to silver turbo cars! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:33 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

*Bonus* Who ever buys this car gets a free stock exhaust (if you want to drive to yuba city) so you can go smog the car :wink:
Good luck with the sale If you want to get the rid if those 680's let me know and that tranny...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:01 pm 

I might end up picking up the exhaust from you before this car sells, since I might end up keeping it. I'd assume the vin was added to the registry already by the previous owner, but if you link me I'll check.

the 680's have a home on the 2 liter going into the conquest, but I might pull the tranny out of this mirage and put my spare fwd dsm tranny in it if someone wants to buy this tranny for it's diff. I don't remember how well it shifted, but I don't remember having any trouble at all, so thats a good sign. Pm me if your serious about the tranny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:07 pm 

3200 OBO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:42 pm 
The Silent Administrator

http://forum.4g61t.org/viewtopic.php?t=19530

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:03 am 

I'll be getting the exhaust for it and smogging it, so it will be road legal when sold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:07 pm 

2900 OBO

I'd rather sell it to a 4g61t guy than someone who doesn't know what they have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:00 pm 

cars got exhaust now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:31 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

bump good luck w/ sale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:37 am 

2700 OBO, I'd like someone to take it off before the 18th, but if not Im keeping it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:49 am 
Was: 92GVR4#847

if you could fine a way to get it down here to texas for $2500 comsider it sold. highly unlikely but I figured I try

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:53 am 

hahahaa,... texas,.. good one....

Post subject: 89 mirage
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:06 am 
Owner/Admin

might have to add this to my collection 3,500 no questions asked

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next