4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Criminal!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:19 pm 
CSM Junkie

Crushed my Lantra today.

was leaving the scrappies when someone passed me on the way in. I stopped him and had a look about the car has was taking in.

1979 Mitsubishi Sigma, perfect condition with only 33K miles on it.

Going in to the crusher :-(

Sad, but I may have saved his Starion from the same fate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:10 am 
Restricted Newbie

there was a turbo rwd galant (sohc 4g63t) that went through the local pick a part a week ago. i managed to get a few bits (oil cooler, couple of clips and stuff) but it was off pay week for me, somebody scored the gearbox but the rest got crushed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:38 pm 
CSM Junkie

They crush it?

We've got two types of scrappies here.

1) Scrap metal merchants - you'll get £30-50 for your car, no matter what it is, and it gets crushed on the spot.

2) Proper scrappies - you'll get nothing back for it, but they'll pick it up for you and they keep them (if it's something really rare, they'll hang on to it for years)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:01 am 
Restricted Newbie

we've got pretty much the same, except over the last couple of years 'pick a part' has opened in a few locations.

they buy wrecks, get donated cars, get deregistered cars, get them off councils, etc, put them on their yard for a few weeks, and after that crush them.

you pay $1 to enter the yard, you have to bring your own tools, you strip what you want and pay for it on the way out. they have a set price for everything, no matter what car it is and there's no haggling on price.

there's rules, like no powersaws, no jacks, you have to be wearing shoes, plus a few more on general safety issues. they have an engine hoist available.

its heaps cheaper than buying stuff of normal wreckers or importers, its just a matter of having the time to do it and finding the right car. late and early model stuff shows up occasionally but mostly its early 80's through to early 90's cars. heaps of fun though, its like heaven for car freaks (like me)

here's their website if you want a look, they don't update it but it'll give you an idea of what i'm talking about:

http://www.pickapartnz.co.nz/

cheers
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:22 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

That sounds VERY similar to the Pullnsave http://www.pullnsave.com/ in the Denver Colorado area. $1 to get in to the totally paved lot. All the cars are up on jack stands, lifts, wheelbarrows, carts all provided. Every Thursday on their website they publish the "SPECIALS" for the upcoming weekend. This weekend for instance is any transmission for $29.99. A month ago I pulled a perfect door from a G20 Infiniti and paid $20.91 (normally $32.99). I was quoted ~$400 for this door from any number of yards when I posted an inquiry to a nationwide listing website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:23 am 
CSM Expert

i wish they had ANYTHING like that over here... that pullnsave looks like a really nice place!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:25 pm 

i dontknow whereyou are in va but out here in va beach they have u-wrench it it operates on the same bassis