4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 4g61 electrical problem
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:09 pm 

Hi, I have an electrical problem that is giving me a headache, my colt 4g61t not start, the main relay makes first contact, but when should the latter makes sparks and does not close, the starter does not turn, I might suggest something please, thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:46 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Put a test light at the small wire connection on top of the starter.

The other end of the test light (clamp) to battery ground (-).

Have transmission in neutral with parking brake engaged.

Have a friend crank the key forward, and see if the test light comes on and gets bright when they turn the key forward to "start" mode.

If not, then look back towards the ignition setup. If yes, then look to see if the starter is getting power from the battery. Loose battery connection / terminal can cause this.

Removing the starter is fairly straight forward, but is best done from underneath the car, with the battery cable (-) removed.

I am thinking you have a bad "plunger" or "Bendix", what they call the solenoid on top of the starter.

Check the archives, there is one type of starter that fits .... but it fits many different cars. Search "flying eagle" and "starter interchange"

Any 4g61/4g63/4g67 starter will work. I have not checked for 4g64 but likely it is the same too. Elantra or Talon, or Mirage, or Galant with those motors were all using the same starter, but different plates that align the starter. The starters were the same, the plates line up the starter differently depending upon FWD or AWD flywheels. Automatic equipped transmission starters are different. Use a standard 5 speed starter only.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:40 pm 

The problem was solved by changing the ecu, the car started several times in the morning but in the afternoon failed again, the starter does not move and the main relay is not closed ...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:58 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The ECU has nothing to do with the starter circuit.
It doesn work with the MPI relay however, to keep the car running once it sees a signal from the CAS, or something like that.