4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Fraud Check!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

Ok so iv been away for awhile, away with the military... Im coming home & at the airport for 6 hours waiting with 7 other guys before we part ways. Its 8am and were all drinking celebrating... I talk with my wife on the phone.. Shes like did you cash a check.. im thinking 100,200,300 dollar check... im like no. Shes says there was a check written for almost 3k. I call the bank and ask the situation. I was drinking jack, so my happy mood went from happy to angry! So i stopped drinking.. Needless to say, soon I land get home, I stop at Chase. I stop that account switch all money to new account, I get a copy of the check. Doesnt look like my wifes signature. We never had any checks for this account. So this person got our account info somehow, made up a fake check and deposited it somewhere while I was away and got the money. This has been a huge hassle! Had change everything that is automatically withdrawn mortgage, car payment, etc etc still have to finish! My wife had surgery on her ankle month ago, had go in there to sign onto new account ... Such a pain!! Had to file a police fraud claim.. Had to switch almost 3k into old account to get it out of negative, Still waiting on that money and fraud money to come back to new account! Im just venting, but get this... the person never endorsed the check on the back, the bank tells me they cant see where they deposited it at?! I cant even go into chase and deposit a 40 dollar check without a ID! The person made the fake check in only my wifes name. But this check looks part business part personal. The person its written to is most likely fake because I dont think they be that stupid. Funny cause the detective asked if i knew that person, I told him believe me if I knew him I wouldnt have filed a police report! lol, He didnt get my sense of humor though. But seriously I know its shot in the dark, Im just waiting on my money to come back since they said it was fraud, The detective told me he went to chase and it will take about month before subpoena to go threw and get all the info and hopefully video tapes. I really dont know Ill do once I get his info... lol Im just angry at this person and the bank for letting it go threw!

Post subject: Re: Fraud Check!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:45 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Wow, so much hassle and such red tape to get through to come out the other side.

I was fortunate that my bank caught my debit account being hacked (debit card usage in NY City). Two identical transactions for $230~CDN each.
They flagged my card, so I could not use it. I went into the bank and they said to call the fraud department.
Long story short, they figured it was fraud and asked if I had been in NY that weekend. I said no, I was 2 hours from Ottawa in MTL at the time.
I had paid for gas in Ottawa and cash for everything while I was in MTL. They refunded my money within 24 hours or less and we switched my debit card.
This was before I had a chipped card I believe, but I could be wrong.

Hope this works out for you, seems the system for consumers is too "runabout" to be proper.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 pm 
CSM Junkie

When the sentence doled out to the criminals involved in these scams is shorter than the time it takes for hard-working souls to get their money back...you know the world is a fruit and banana up place :(.

Sorry to hear about your trouble dude :(.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:10 pm 
CSM Junkie

thanks man! Yea I know its most likely a shot in the dark, I know all about the check scams from nigeria etc etc... But its scary to know someone somehow got info to our bank and made a fake check from us and cashed/deposited it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm 
CSM Dik

Damn that is messed up! I'm with Chase too,I thought their security was a little better than that!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

Yea me to! So get this, same day I closed account, its restricted right now. Me and my wife have new account, its restricted and will be closed in 30 days. So that I can get my military deposits etc. Today I call the bank asking about my refund of 5,500 was, they transfer it to new account. There like did you try cashing another check..... im like no! So I have to go in there today get print outs, and back to detective. Someone tried cashing a 5200 check now! This person or persons better hope they dont find out who they are!! lol This such a hassle... never thought something like this would happen... Now that spring is here, im back with the military, I was gonna start fixing the colt but now have to wait little longer..

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:53 am 
CSM Junkie

So the detective called me from St Louis.. Asked if I'd come to court so waiting on return call..I'm gonna make the 3-4 hour trip from Chicago....really curious how this person got our info...funny because the first check was written to the real persons name. The detective told me it him and his wife was going to there place....... make a trip with the colt if it gets finished in time. :rock: curiousity

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:31 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I hate it when this happens, my sister went through one of those Nigeria check scams.
she was selling an item on Craigslist for $400. they sent her a check for 10k she cashed it she withdrew x amount of money wired it back to them, and she never saw it again the odd thing is chase bank cleared the check in the first place why?
it was sitting there for three days too, they should have known it was fake by that time.
I feel your pain this makes me sick to my stomach whenever I hear this kinda thing happen.
man the most I ever got scammed out of was $300 dollars I guess i got lucky.
as you could imagine my sister learned a hard expensive lesson.

I hope they make the offenders give you double the amount of money they took from you
if I were the judge, I'd make them pay double the amount back
I mean most of these jerk criminals don't understand how lucky they are to be in the US, if they try this over seas in a third world country, and are convicted :axe:you know they're in for a world of pain.
hope your issues get all sorted out man.