4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:51 pm 
CSM Junkie

Hey so for this new house I was looking for a cheap pickup for drywall,doors, etc etc plus to have a trailer. Something that if it broke down & wasnt worth fixing anymore the scrapyard buy for around 500, so be no lost to me. Well after weeks of actually searching on craigslist. I found a 94 auto v6 Sonoma pickup for 500. Only thing is it has 180,000 miles. Starts and runs great! no smoke or leaks. Only thing is the guy said the front calipers where not working and right turn bulb went out and one tire needs to be replaced. So My wife followed me home running just on back brakes. For 500 what do you except? But I was impressed to see wasnt to rusty. The frames good no rust! above both rear wheels there is some rust. Plan to cut out and leave cut or get some trim to weld over. Some other rust spots but thats ok. The tailgate could be replaced, well see. Ill get pics up soon. Just trying to see if I should fix and sell before getting the title and maybe make a little extra and get a better truck? Anyone drove these before? They last awhile?

The other night I picked up the front end brake stuff. Calipers & breaks, I must say these were the CHEAPEST new calipers I ever bought. $11.99 a side plus core charge.

PLan to go to junkyard this weekend. Just getting some thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

The 4.3l motors are pretty solid. Basically a 350v8 with 2 cylinders lopped off with a different crankshaft. The motors tend to live longer than the rust prone bodies.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:06 pm 
CSM Junkie

Thats great to hear! I know this is for csm, but today I finally changed out the front calipers and pads. I went to bleed & still no pressure coming to the front calipers. Ill Have to check more later, the master is not leaking. Only the back is braking.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:48 am 

Maybe the lines are stopped up? The right rear was like that on my eclipse for some reason. I blew some air through it with my compressor and it broke loose.

$500 for a running truck is a steal.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:17 am 
CSM Junkie

My summit is like that now. Rears will NOT work, no fluid leaking. Solid brake pedal. Stops well with the fronts. I suspect they are clogged somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 pm 
CSM Junkie

Yea sucks, thinking just be easy as switching out the calipers with new ones. Yea pretty good deal, From what was reading might have to bleed abs unit, but I dont have a tech2 or something to do it. Not sure. Ill try the blowing lines to see if clears, since todays going to be 78 :rock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:43 am 
The Silent Administrator

You might have to do the Automated bleed procedure is you have ABS in there. Yeah, Tech2 to activate and make sure the battery is in a state of good charge or put the charger on it, cause all your accessories will be on, key forward, and more than likely your headlights short of fuse pulling, and then the full draw from the ABS activating.