4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:46 pm 

Please reply here with the known working turbo upgrades for the 4g63t.

I dont have a 4g63t, so please let everyone know your thoughts and opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:49 pm 

The most common 1G upgrade I'm familiar with is the Mitsubishi TD05H-16G-7CM2. More commonly referred to as the "small" 16g. Frequently underestimated, it comes on strong with quick spool (full boost around 3.5 - 4K), mid flow (505 CFM), and if clipped, hangs on with good top-end power. You could expect a maximum of around 340 horses with proper supporting mods for this inexpensive and stock appearing turbo.

As for 2G upgrades, the Garett T28 is a fairly popular upgrade. The stock Garrett T25 found on 2Gs was already small, so the upgrade (while bigger than stock) is small as well. The T28 is rated at up to 300 horses, which is good for a quick street racing car. Spool comes on quick, although there is a noticable lag from the stocker. The powerband on a car that could most efficiently use this turbo is fairly narrow, so don't expect huge top-end in a 1/4 pass.

One of the least known upgrades for a 4G63T is the TDO5H-17C-7CM2. Also known as a Frankenstein Jr., this turbo was a stock unit on the Typhoons/Syclones. Those turbos DID utilize a larger TD06H compressor housing and an 8CM2 turbine housing, however the turbine wheel and 550 cfm compressor wheel remained the same. Even with the larger housings, to an untrained eye, this turbo appears stock. Good for up to 370-380 hp, this turbo flows as much as a BIG 16G (550 CFM) but due to the characteristics of the "C" series compressor wheel, it spools a bit quicker. Expect full boost around 4K. Definitely a turbo to consider if you're planning to put the smack-down on your local LS1 F-body or Vette.

Other upgrades include:

Mitsubishi TD05H-BIG 16G-7CM2 - (380 HP)
Frank Jr. Stage 2 (19C) - (380 HP)
Big T28 Killer - (380 HP)
Mitsubishi TDO5H-20G-7CM2 - (400 HP)
Turbonetics T3/T4E 60-1 - (500+ HP)
Greddy T78 - (700+ HP)

There are MANY other possibilities to consider, depending on your desired outcome. For all-out top end, consider a GT series or one of the FP series ball-bearing turbos. If you're into auto-x, consider a smaller turbo that doesn't place your on-boost and off-boost hp ratings in two different zip codes.

-Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:47 pm 

Forced Performance Green

Mentioned this a few times here, but I just took the FP Green off of my GSX. Got it with the 8cm turbine housing option. Would get full boost by ~4200 RPMs and it wouldn't let up until the rev limiter. At 20 psi with 264/272 cams it pulled like a raped ape.
This turbo might not be the newest, most up-to-date, ball bearing, ceramic whosamabob, etc. but is DEFINITELY up there with one of the better/best DSM turbos for a "street" car. Kinda like a BR 20g in that it is able to stand the test of time. Just my $.02...

Post subject: Re: TDO5/6-20G
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:37 am 

Quote:
I have ran the TDO5-14B hit hard early then died out. Will work better with a lot of mods and bolt ons as DSMERs have proven.
I still have the stock 14b in my GVR4. With 2-1/2" test-pipe back, AVCR, and Blaha MAS, I can boost up to 17 psi without worries on a cool evening. And the Greddy Type-S BOV being externally vented has to be worth at least 5 hp... ;) OK, maybe not, but it definitely gets some attention.

Ren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:46 am 

TD05/6 20, 22 and 25gs are the flavour here in NZ. Although we have 3 Evo lancers running GT35s (I think) These cars also do 9 sec 1/4 miles :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:44 am 
Restricted Newbie

I had a FP Green on my 1997 GS-T Eclipse and loved it. I plan on going with the new FP30 650 on my colt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:31 pm 
Some call me a god

60-1 Trim T3/T4.

The term turbo lag is overrated. I never did much boosting on the street. Boost came on full at about 3.5 - 4000 rpm's. When you have to just about annialate the car next to you, this is the turbo to do it.

The only way I can describe full boost, is to say that it feels EXACTLY like being on a plane on the runway, right when the Pilot nails the throttle :P

That's what 20psi fells like :twisted: :twisted:

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:35 pm 
Some call me a god

My setup first to give you an idea:
Stock 4g63t longblock
2g MAF
Ported and Clipped 18g
homemade boost controller
Ported 2g Exhaust Manifold
Buschur Racing Mandrel Bent 2.5" downpipe
2.5" Victory Performance O2 housing
Denso 660s
Walboro 255
Act 2600lbs clutch w/ 2600lbs disk
Lightened Flywheel
SAFC
Custom 25x8x2.75 FMIC
NO suspension

Mitsubishi 18g Ported and Clipped:

This little fella is a nice street turbo with full boost coming on strong around 3400rpm. This turbo is actually extremely quiet without a lot of whoosing noise as with certain 16g turbos. At 17psi 1st gear is non-existent, 2nd equates to a lot of wheelspin from full boost to 6k rpm where I start to actaully wheel hop slightly at times, which can't be good for the axles, but impressive nontheless. This is on pretty good street tires as well. 3rd gear pulls pretty hard until whenever I decide to shift since I don't have a rev-limiter. I can't light the tires in third yet but I can torque steer all the way down the road, I really have to pay attention to what I'm doing when I get on it, especially in 2nd gear. At 17psi I started to overrun the slightly hacked 1g MAS using 660s so I had to put on a 2g MAF. From 17psi on my setup I'm guessing 13 flat time slips with a good tune and DR. I think this turbo could potentially be a 12 flat candidate on slicks with the supporting mods such as fuel, suspension, FMIC, SAFC, exhaust. I believe it is an excellent upgrade for any stockish 4g63t and probably a great turbo for the 4g61t guys who want some slower spool time and more topend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:15 pm 
Restricted Newbie

The FP green is the best bolt on turbo for a stock motor app that ive ever messed with. And ive had alot of turbos to say the least. I put it on a totally stock engine stock cams and all. Only mods i had were 660 denso injectros, supra pump and AFC. Took it to a Dyno jet and with 3 pulls layed down 427.5WHP on 24psi and 109 octane fuel with a 2G maf, and with 3 pulls 385.1WHP on 19psi and pump gas with a gutted 1g maf. The car started cutting out due to the maf so i couldnt turn it a lil higher to get some more HP on pump.... Thus the reason i stuck the 2G maf on and went back at 24 psi :) The reason for only 3 pulls each is its 50 bux for 3 pulls and i CAN be a cheap:) This was A/F ratios of around 11.5 and total timing around 20-21 degrees. I then took the turbo and put it in my 90 AWD FULL WIEGHT daily driver also with TOTALY stock engine and ran 7.29 at 99.8 MPH in the 8th mile at 28psi. Then got booted for no cage. So i only got 1 pass.... SO it couldve only improved with lil more boost and a harder launch. the 60FT on that 7.2 pass was a 1.75 And yes it STILL had the 3 bolt rear..... SO if tuned right this turbo is capable of very high 400whp on totaly stock engine. Stock cams ect ect Id really like to see what the turbo is capable of on a fully built motor. VERY impressive turbo. And like the other guy said. it might not be the newest turbo to date. but IT WORKS! There no doubt about that!!

89 Turbo Colt 4G63 FP Green Model 427.5WHP 24psi

89 Mirage Turbo 4g63 SC61,2-216 FMIC,HKS272s,Eagles, Wisecos, FRH intake,methanol injection, nitrous injection, VPC, AFC ect ect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:32 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
89 Mirage Turbo 4g63 SC61,2-216 FMIC,HKS272s,Eagles, Wisecos, FRH intake,methanol injection, nitrous injection, VPC, AFC ect ect

:o :o :o Good f*cking god man!!!!!!!

89 2.0 Turbo Colt
13 Ducati 1199 Panigale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:47 pm 
Banned for being a dick

Just took a ride in a FWD Eclipse running Greddy TDO6-20G. 8cm exhaust housing Very large Greddy compressor housing with 3 inch inlet.
The TDO6 exhaust wheel really delivers some serious power hitting around 3600rpms full boost.
The car is running front mount intercooler, custom hard pipes, stock engine stock exhaust manifold. 3 inch exhaust, Profec A boost controller, and Super AFC.
I cannot wait to get this turbo on my Mirage. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:42 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:

:o :o :o Good f*cking god man!!!!!!!
Thats what I was thinking :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:00 pm 

Well here is what I have right now:

4G63T
ARP head studs
Metal head gasket
Ported and polished head
radius valve job
Crower Heavy duty springs
Titanium Retainers
WEB 276/276 cams

Rev Hard Manifold T4 mounting flange
3 inch mandrel bent exhaust by 4Gperformance.net
Custom 2.5 inch hard pipe kit by 4Gperformance.net

Apexi Ecletronic Boost Controller
Apexi Super AFC II
950cc injectors
255fuel pump
Cyclone Intake manifold
Chipped ECU

Short throw shifter
ACT 2600 clutch
lightend flywheel

I have a TFO7 VGT Turbo/ This is the newest turbo technoloy on the market. I imported it from Japan MHI. I will post some pics once I figure out how this all works up here.

I am in the process of solving some installation issues so once I am done I will post my results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:49 pm 
Restricted Newbie

my setup
gt35r
large front mount forget dimmensions
hks280/280 springs and retainers(Head Mildly ported)
Still stock block 2g pistons 1g rods ( Balance shafts removed)
750cc injectors walboro pump
arp head studs / mitsu 3 layer head gasket
Dsmlink
TRE Tranny (Welded diff)
421whp on 110 oct 30psi
cant wait to see what she will do when i have to rebuild the bottom end with some forged internals

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:30 am 

Wow this is about as vague as it gets actually but I'll do my best to explain a few of the most popular ones since I'm a dsm guy.

EvoIII 16G is one of the most popular turbo's on the market, quick spooling (usually around 3400ish) makes it great for the street, a great 12 sec (even 11's and in one or two cases 10's) turbo its definately a fun little upgrade, flows a little more then the Big16G or the small16G which are both great turbo's in their own right, these normally do not require forged internals

50 Trims, about a year ago this was all the rage, 50 trims are easy 11 second turbos with the right supporting mods, the FPGreen is a 50 trim turbo and in my opinion is the best one out there. Still very streetable and a whole lot of fun. Time to upgrade your internals though and cams

60-1 turbo's are starting to get out of the streetable range although many will debate they are still good for the street, once boost kicks in though hold on tight because this baby will move your machine. Definately look into internals and a good set of cams

FP 3052, right now one of my favorite turbo's, not a whole lot of them out there due to the cost but its one of the best street turbo's I've witnessed, Being ball bearing makes spool up a cinch, on pump gas there have been 500+ plus hp machines made, obviously internals and supporting mods are a must.

FP3065 and 3575 for a full review on these two check here: http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203475

From there you can look into T3/T4 options for more go the Gt35r is very similir to the FP3065 in characteristics only in a Garrett housing, from there the GT42R is the mother of 4G63T turbos capable of 7's (as of currently although there are rumors of Shep possibly stepping up larger in the future)

Other options that are no longer as popular but are still great turbo's include

20G's, this was the first turbo to power dsms into the 10's and is still looked upon as a great turbo by most knowledgeable dsmers, although it has been replaced mostly by the 50trims as a turbo that is cheaper and performs similarily.

18g not very popular at all but loved by most who have run one.

T28, if your running a second gen dsm setup this will bolt right up although I would bet most swaps on here are the loveable first gen 6 bolt setups.