4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:36 pm 

I have laid out an aluminum rear bumper as a direct bolt in for C/M's. It is a project for my rally car that I thought might have some shared interest. It will reduce the pivotal weight that is hanging behind the rear wheels.

The price will depend on the number of people who are interested. As wild guess, I expect around 150 if I have 10 people? I am makingno money, but a higher quantity will make my price cheaper as well. This is a bumper and based on the Eclipse one, should weigh around 10 lbs. The stock bumper cover will still fit.

Respond if you have any interest.

Chris

Last edited by rallyguy on Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:55 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

yea im interested in that too...any pics of it yet? i want to see the quality of it...

85.5 Porsche 944, Gaurds Red, 70K original miles

"I'm Rick James, bitch."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:03 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I'm in too.

Geoff
Mach V Motorsports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:54 am 
Some call me a god

i would venture to say that it is something like the one offered by dejon tool

www.dejontool.com

somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-10 pounds, offers NO crash protection whatsoever, and will not even support the weight of your hitch(probably) jason, the stocker weighs somwhere in the neighborhood of 30+ pounds, both front and rear, so you can shave upwards of 40 pounds total for both

i have a 92 laser that i am planning on adding a set of these bumpers to, in order to clear the huge front mount i want, and they will trim alot easier than the steel ones, the bumper covers do fit as normal, although self tapping srews are used instead of bolts i do believe

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject: Answers:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:48 pm 

Stock bumper: 31 lbs exactly.... New bumper should be under 10.

Hitch: ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! This is a show part only and offers no function

Quality: I dont make it myself, it is manufactured by a sheet metal shop that makes part for the medical company I work for, their work is top notch. When I said I am making NO money on this, I was honest, just charging what I have to pay for him to setup so that my price goes down. I can send pictures of other projects he has made for me.

Dejon Bumper: It is very very simlar except that it fits our cars. It is, however, simlar to the off-road bumper he offered last year, not the current one on his page. Actually, if you read his page, the picture is not what he is currently selling, it doesnt include the reinforcement web (as I read it) They are simlar but the one he has now uses springs and has some reinforcement web, the off-road one didnt have that. He makes good bumpers and I used his on my rally Eclispe. Honestly, I wish he made one for us because it would save me the work. Also, Dejon uses sheet metal screw, but mine will be supplied with Stainless Steel 1/4 - 20 buttonhead screws with nylon insert locknuts. All holes will be punched by the machine shop.

Cost relative to the Dejon bumper: Quantity equals cost reduction.....

Front bumper: No, I wont make one of those. For one, too much liability as if a useless rear bumper isnt scary enough. Second, I found a great, yet safe alternative at the junkyard. Front bumper from a Dodge Stealth, weighs 14 lbs compared to 28 lbs for stock, is very simlar shaped and mounts fairly easily. I have pictures if anyone wants them. It required a little removal of the styrofoam, and bolting or welding of the stealth bracket to the Mirage bracket. Really quite easy for the weekend mechanic though. If only you can find a stealth bumper like I did......

Last: I should have pointed this out more clearly above. As crackerman pointed out, this will offer no rear protection. It will hold your plastic cover in place, that's it. It is considered a race part and is sold as such.

If there are more questions, post here or respond directly to me. When I get a good idea of everyone interested, I will get an exact price based on quantity and give everyone a last chance to back out. This should happen early next week.

Chris

Post subject: Draft pics available.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:22 pm 

Several pictures posted of the CAD drawings here:

http://www.geocities.com/colt4rally/bumper

I will post a picture of another part at the same site that the same sheet metal shop has made for my projects.

10 have been ordered and have approx a two week delivery. The first one will be fitted to my car before the final 9 are run. so fitment should be very good (I am not claiming perfect though).

Based on the quantity of 10, the price has come down to $120 plus shipping. Shipping dimensions are APPROX 50"X8"X6" and weigh about 13 lbs? coming from zip code 95032 so you can calculate your shipping charges. Stainless steel hardware is included.

I am drafting a liability waiver right now that everyone will sign (if they want a bumper). Just covering my ASS for this "race" part.

I will accept paypal (including credit cards), check, or ship COD certified at your expense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:00 am 
Hey guys, I got my bumper in from rallyguy. It looks good. I haven't had a chance to install it yet. When I do, I'll take a bunch of pics and do a write-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:30 pm 
CSM Junkie

:-? Coming in late here, but do you still have the alum. bumper avail? If so I would like to order one. I assume it would go to Pay Pal. give me the details by PM or blspruill@cox.net. (757) 547-1648

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:29 pm 

I too am late but want the bumper replacement. How do I go about purchase? Let me know!!!!

Jeromy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:13 pm 
I finally moved the instructions to the forum. I've got more pictures this time.

http://forum.4g61t.org/viewtopic.php?p=25163#25163