4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:10 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I have a JVC KD-S890 which I'm putting into the new Colt, just wonder if anyone might know why I keep blowing fuses.

From the 12V wire [yellow] on the car, to the deck, there's a little fuse box, and it has a 1 Amp fuse in it. Well, it keeps blowing. Should it be a higher amperage fuse? I've gone through about 10 1 amp's now.

The CD Player will power on, and it starts to play the CD. But as soon as I try and raise volume or something, that's when the fuse blows.

And I only have 2 speakers hooked up to it right now, on the right side.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:14 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Under 'General' in the book, it says:

Operating Voltage: DC 14.4 V (11 V to 16 V allowance)

Does this mean anything? I'm freaking out. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:22 pm 

It keeps blowing due to it grounding out. Where are you connecting that 12V constant wire to? Yellow is for constant 12 volts. Reason for the fuse.

Red is for switched 12 volts. Meaning, when you turn the key to accessory, you get 12volts.

Find a good constant and then hook your yellow 12V+ to it. Can find it on the steering column, or if you have to , run a wire thru a grommet on the fire wall and hook it directly to the battery. Make sure you fuse it at the battery with a larger fuse holder.

Just get a volt meter or a test light to find these wires. Also, go the factory manual. It should tell you there.

RTFM (read the f'ing manual) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doh.. stupid me. I just went back and read whats happening to your radio. Is it new? Sounds like a POS to me. Umm.. there should be 4 channels on that cd player. You should be using them. What i mean by that is.. green, purple, silver, white.

White is left front
Silver is right front
Green is left rear
Purple is right rear.

Ones with the stripes are negative wires.

Are you using a wire harness? You know, to plug into factory stereo wire harness? It's merely a plug and play ordeal if you are.

Good luck! :cheers:

"Why punish thy self, when you can punish thy toilet laddie."

"You can sleep with your car and you can sleep with your girl, but the car will never leave you."

"Haul arse till you see God, then brake!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:34 am 
Restricted Newbie

It is grounded. And I'm running the yellow wire from the stereo to the yellow wire in the car. Now, inbetween the yellow wire from the stereo to the yellow wire leading to the battery there's a fuse linkage and this is where the 1 AMP fuse it located. So far, people have been telling me that this 1 AMP fuse is why it's blowing. The deck and speakers are drawing too much power from this fuse, thus making it blow.

I'm calling my gf's father today to see if there's the same type of fuse linkage in the 91 200E, and what amperage the fuse is inside that linkage, in order to make sure that it's the amperage on the fuse in the current car that's making that fuse blow.

I hope it all works out and I havn't ckufed my power supply on the stereo.

=(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:37 am 
Restricted Newbie

As for the speaker setup on the harness, it's two wires - both a positive and a negative, so I just re-wired the entire car in 16 guage Monster brand speaker wire last night. That eliminated the 'common ground' problem I was having witht he car's original speaker wire setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:19 am 

Quote:
It is grounded. And I'm running the yellow wire from the stereo to the yellow wire in the car. Now, inbetween the yellow wire from the stereo to the yellow wire leading to the battery there's a fuse linkage and this is where the 1 AMP fuse it located. So far, people have been telling me that this 1 AMP fuse is why it's blowing. The deck and speakers are drawing too much power from this fuse, thus making it blow.

I'm calling my gf's father today to see if there's the same type of fuse linkage in the 91 200E, and what amperage the fuse is inside that linkage, in order to make sure that it's the amperage on the fuse in the current car that's making that fuse blow.

I hope it all works out and I havn't ckufed my power supply on the stereo.

=(
That fuse is there to keep the thing from catching fire. You have another problem else where. I suggest NOT taking out that fuse till you figure out whats wrong. Sounds like the head unit to me. You might want to try something else if you do have one laying around. Good luck.

"Why punish thy self, when you can punish thy toilet laddie."

"You can sleep with your car and you can sleep with your girl, but the car will never leave you."

"Haul arse till you see God, then brake!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:10 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Actually that fuse was completely useless for my specific deck. As that fuse linkage was in there from some crappy sony tape deck install. I cut all the linkages off, wired the 12V and Accesory together, got the Remote line running and plugged it all in and it worked perfectly.

I just finished up wiring the speakers, and getting it all tuned and ready fro my heavy hitting trance. LOL.

I got a few shots up at cardomain.

http://cardomain.com/id/redeyz13

Finally!

Thanks for tryingto help, eh. <-- typical

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:14 pm 

I always had the same prob, blowing the pissass 1 or 2 amp fuses they include. I switched them out for 10 amps and forgot about it.

Disclaimer: If you switch yours out for 10 amp and your dash spontaneously ignites, I am not responsible. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:07 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I took the whole fuse linkage off and hardwired it directly to the back of the deck. The deck has it's own 15amp fuse for overload protection.

Works like a charm now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:11 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Yea it was too small of a fuse so whenever it was time for ur deck to pump out some power it would trip the fuse, no problems with wiring or speaker impedences. If there was a short or a constant ground the Deck wouldnt even turn on, the fuse would just blow. I ran a power wire to my deck just like you would a sub amp. This helps alot, if you are just using the stock wire commin from the fuse box and you have a powerful deck you will be stressing out the system and not providing enough power for ur deck to pump out power. If anyone here suffers from the lights in there deck goin dimwith bass, run a 12 guage wire with a 20 amp fuse, I have a Alpine 60x4 deck and this gives it enough power (my deck has a seperte wire just to power the amp). Give this a try, you will not be unsatisfiyed!

'89 Dodge Colt 100e with many toys of the 200gt