4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:01 pm 

Ok, so I got 2 12" type R subs hooked up to a digital 1000 watt Clarion amp... when I first bought it, it used to run continuously without a problem at 4 ohms... I killed a battery with the system, but I bought another cheaper used one... I also wired them up for 2 ohm after that.. Since then, the subs will kick out at higher power, like every minute or 2 and then they will start again after about 15 to 20 seconds... its still like this, I even tried going back to 4 ohm but same problem..I checked and cleaned up the ground, the battery connection to the 12 v cable, adjusted amp and deck settings.. nuthing has worked... maybe a cap would help? what do you guys think? thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:11 am 
CSM Expert

It is definately a power problem or short. Does it also happen when you have the volume turned far down but still you can hear everything? If it's happening then, too, I suggest looking at the wiring from stereo line-out to amp line-in. It may be a short in these lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:53 am 
Nobody Important

Sounds like you could be overheating the amp.

Do you have it crammed in a hole or someplace with airflow? It it nice and toasty to the touch?

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:28 am 

As far as the volume on low, I wouldn't really know, when I listen to music it has to be loud, but at a moderate volume it will cut out if a big bass part hits.. as far as the heating thing.. you might have a good point...its not mounted to anything and it sits in my trunk where there is no airflow whatever so ever... I'll check that... thanks for the suggestions guys..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:40 am 
CSM Expert

If you have overheated your amp more than once you might have fried a cap in itand that sound like what you have done was your amp rated 2 ohm stable? I know my Soundstream is rated 1 ohm mono 1/2 ohm Stereo but my Alpine amp I had was only rated 2 ohm Stereo and 4 ohm mono... so you might be SOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:03 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Ok here is your problem...

#1 That is a 1000 watt amp, check to see what the fuse is rated on it, it is probably over 50 amps
#2 Your altinator stock is only a 60 or a 65 (if you havent gotten an new one)
#3 Since you have a small altinator and a cheaper battery your amp is sucking too much power for either of them to handle, thus causing damage

If an amp doesnt get enough power and you have it driving hard your stressing the internal components to deliver the max amount of electricity they can. Since your battery might not be too big and Colts come with very small altinators they dont have a very powerful driving system. When you drive your amp hard do you notice your lights go dim? Including your headlights? Thats from sucking too much power. Its a good way to cook altinators and batteries and if you have a EFI motor its a good way to blow your ECU.

I would get a bigger battery (750 cold cranking amps), my altinator rewound to at least 100 amps, if your planning on running your amp at 2 ohms at least 4 guage wire, and a cap. This will keep your electrical system healthy, reduce your amp heating up and decrease your chance in a fire. And if you amp is protecting itself after 2 minutes of pounding you Do Not have enough power going to it and your gonna cook somethin (and frying amps do not smell good! kinda leaves a nasty smell in your nose for a couple days)

'89 Dodge Colt 100e with many toys of the 200gt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:17 pm 
CSM Expert

My Colt has a 75w alternator. I installed a 1000cca battery too. :) I also use a 1farad cap which does seem to help the bass to seem more distinct.

4g15 12valve 5spd.
4g37 TB, MAF & Injectors. 4g37 ECU
Ported & polished & custom CAI w/K&N filter
5* Cam retard, 7*Ignition advance
2-1/4" catback w/flowmaster muffler
89 GT brake and suspension swap
Lots of little s#@t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:26 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Yeah the EFi colts are 75 amps, the carby's are 60 or 65 stock

'89 Dodge Colt 100e with many toys of the 200gt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:47 am 

the problem is the impedance of the subs.
your amp is only good for a 4ohm mono load, and your subs are giving it a 2 ohm load. overload protection is shutting it down.
try feeding the amp with 4 guage wire, it may allow it to run cool enough to stay on.

Team Canada at work
http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/photos/E6 ... 81P25C.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:23 pm 

hey man if the your subs cut out when the bass hits you either have to small of power and ground, or your subs are shot. even though they still play they could be bad. ive been a car audio installer for 11 years and seen this a million times. try checking the impedence on each sub with a meter. they should be around 4 ohms each. they might not be right on 4 but close, also when you do this do not lay the speaker face side down sit it on the magnet. any other question about car audio or custom stereo molding, or anything that is custom on a car pm me and i will tell you any thing you want to know.
thanks, glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:07 pm 
CSM Expert

That would explain why my two subs cut out. I have them wired to the amp bridged. I have a single 12' in a box, would i be better off with that in bridged mode vs the two tens?

4g15 12valve 5spd.
Lots of little s#@t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:13 pm 

if the 12 is a single voice coil 4 ohm speaker u will be fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:19 pm 
CSM Expert

Quote:
if the 12 is a single voice coil 4 ohm speaker u will be fine
I believe so. Thanx!

4g15 12valve 5spd.
Lots of little s#@t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:32 am 

I say It could be different things that could be causing your problems. I haven't seen your setup but I seen it all. It could be your power wire and ground. If you are saying you are pushing out that much power than 4 gauge wire is the min wire thickness. The only way you are going to kill your battery is if it is old because you could recharge your battery up(when car is not running). If you are listening to your music when your car is running and you kill your battery than one your battery is old or two your charging system is going out the door and you are just running on your battery. Also if you are running that much watts you do need a cap. Another problem is I don't know how you hooke up your subs. If you are running it in pararell and brigding your amp than your at one ohm which could be causing your amp to shut down. But you said you went back to your original setup and it still cutting out. So this might rule out the wiring. Your subs could be shorting if you are over driving them. If you do this enough it is going to freeze(burn out your coils) your subs. Your gain could be turned up to high causing your problems. This will cause your amp to clip and happens most during your bass roles. Your head unit could be causing your problems. But like some one on this forum says how is it doing when you listen to your music at a normal volume. If all case fails have the person who install it look at it. If you install it your self have a Pro installer look at it or some one who knows how to install look at it.