4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:56 pm 
Restricted Newbie

First, I'm an old school mechanic (30 years) If I throw some gas down the intake, it runs for a couple seconds so I know the spark and timing belt are fine. I pulled the fuel return line off and no fuel pressure apparent.(didn't have tools to undo the pressure line, but I don't hear the fuel pump running)
The owner of the car is a single mom (just had her baby friday night. Car quit on her friday AM) Trying to find out if there is a fuel pump relay or some way I can bypass the ECM to force the fuel pump to run w/o crawling underneath (figures it's the only model where you can't access the fuel pump under the back seat!) It has lots of gas (she filled it the night before it quit)
All she did was roll up to her mailbox, shut it off to use the mailbox key to open the box, then it wouldn't start. Tabs expired last night so I have to tow it to her dad's place (he is TOTALLY unmechanical) I don't want to throw on a $130 fuel pump when that may not be the problem. Don't know about any codes. (I didn't have any tools with me)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:36 pm 
Nobody Important

Ugh, I can't remember the color of the wire (green?) but it is under the hood and is energized when the fuel pump has power. That way you can test if it is even getting power. It is a single connector plug. I believe it was on the firewall up top in the middle... but my car is nowhere near stock anymore so I could be lying. If I can find a picture I will show ya.

I assume you could try pumping power into that and see if it fires up.... but do NOT quote me on that, I have never tried it.

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:16 pm 
CSM Expert

It sounds like a total ECM failure its VERY common on this car and you won't get fuel because the ECU won't give the fuel pump relay power. I would suggest opening the passenger door pull off the kick panel unbolting the ecu opening the cover and give it a smell does it smell funny? (shouldn't smell like anything unless its a smokers car then it will smell like cigarettes) If you smell something fishy or burnt smelling then I would suggest its time to to get the ECU rebuilt. It can be expensive but there are many good hearted people here that would probably refurb the ECU for a few bucks not the hundreds that most rebuilders charge and will do the same thing... I hope this helps....

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:40 pm 

i am dealing with the same thing right now... i just cant find a CHEAP ECM... im gonna try to replace the caps... any one have a ECM for a 1.5L layin about on the cheapness... any help would be great... thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:12 pm 
CSM Expert

Email Jeff O the guy who runs dsmchips.com and ask how much he charges to rebuild an ECU he has an excellent record rebuilding these and he's pretty reasonable with price he gets the thumbs up from me and hundreds of others I'm sure...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:37 pm 

oooo good idea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:16 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

easy, to tell. take the ecu out first and look for burnt spot. if yes, then it is ecu. this is a 10 minute job. on automatic 1.5, the small fuel pump test connector is on the fire wall. the color of the wire is black red. just connect a jumper wire to it and touch it to the battery positive terminal. you can disconnect the fuel line to see if fuel flow out off it. then you can check the relay. if nothing happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:53 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks guys! This may be just what I need! (wish I had posted last night. I just towed the car home a few minutes ago) The spark still works because I fed the intake with a small handvalve and outboard tank squirting fuel into the intake while I was driving it onto the tow dolly.

PS: I read on another list about the capacitors that leak on these PCMs

PPS: Wire turns out to be black with white trace and is dead center. Hooked to battery and gas sprayed, but no run unless I feed it gas. I found what looks like a tiny burnt spot on the board. Wish I was an EE!