4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:52 pm 

help i blew my stock 4g61 turbo(down shifting on a honduh) and it started smoking like a son of a gun so i swaped a 14b,1g exhaust manni,1g o2 sensor and housing in, and now my car runs like crap or barely runs at all, i also get metal on metal rattling/grinding sounds ever once in a while but then it goes away, any ideas, all info would help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:53 pm 
CSM Junkie

Possibly a bad turbo? (the grinding sound could be the blades hitting the housing)

Check out my website: www.members.optusnet.com.au/~onnzo

Member #31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:54 pm 
CSM Expert

Metal to metal? sounds like you might have some bad bearing in that turbo....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:59 pm 

turbo spun good and had minnimal shaft play wut about it running like crap, i was thinking it might be the cat is fouled from when i broke the 11b exhaust shaft and oil was being poured down the exhaust pipe, would it be real harmful to run just the manni for like 10 min

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:02 pm 
CSM Expert

No it should be fine to run just a manifold for a few mins and yes a plugged up cat would definetly cause serious problems for the car if it runs better that way I would suggest taking a broom and pushing out the CAT it will solve your problems and will stiill look stock for anyone looking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:05 pm 

thanks i will try that, i just need the current exhaust to last until next week the im putting in a 3in from mannifold back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:16 pm 

if this dosent work do you have any other suggestions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:22 pm 
CSM Expert

Well you might be leaning out the car with all the extra air your injecting into the motor as for metal to metal contack sounds like bearing issues in the turbo might want to double check that turbo for reference...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:48 pm 
CSM Junkie

If you want to check if it is your cat - just disconnect the front pipe (the pipe from your dump pipe to the cat)

If it is a blocked cat it should run fine with this unattached...

Member #31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:34 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

wouldn't it not be a good idea to just run the manifold? i thought you burn up valves that way... might be ok for a short period of time but you could just punch out the cat and be done with it, without taking off the turbo which is way more of a pain than just unhooking the downpipe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:54 am 
CSM Junkie

Its just a way to test to see if the cat is clogged!

Actually - you could just unbolt the cat :)

Member #31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:15 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Yes just disconect the down pipe much easier than taking the turbo off. did you clean yoru intake pipes and Intercooler if you have one and did you change out yoru pluggs if you blew all that oil in your intake I bet your pluggs are fowled. Let us know what fixes your car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:35 pm 

As far as your car running like crap-- i can say that my1.6 with a 14b-1g manifold and 02 sensor-1g MAF-1g intercoller and soft pipeing-1g fuel pump-and 450 cc injectors runs like a bat out of hell--i would suggest definetly adding a bigger fuel pump and injectors you can probably pick them up out of a 1g for less that 100 bucks easy
also a 1g maf might meter the air better-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:00 pm 

Being that you just did a turbo swap and the car is now running poorly it is probably due to something that was disconnected or unhooked during the swap. The car ran fine before the swap (less the turbo grenading) thus it should run fine after the swap. Check the basics first: intercooler/charge piping, pressure test, MAS plug, MAS clamps, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. If that doesn't do it, drop the downpipe off of the O2 housing and run it for a bit like that. That ought to bring the problem to light.
As far as the metal on metal scraping noise, that's never a noise you want to hear (especially in a turbo car). My guess is the bearings in the turbo are bad and causing the compressor or turbine wheel to scrape on the housing. OUCH! :( I've got a 14b off of my Galant and a 14b off of my old Eclipse just chillin' in the shed so if you're interested... :wink: Yeah, lame sales pitch!
If you're not turning up the boost right now on the 14b I'd say to stick with the '61T ECU, MAS and injectors. An EGT or datalogger might not be a bad idea just to make sure you're not overrunning the stock injectors with the 14b. Until you've got a way to compensate for different injectors, MAS, or ECU (SAFC, PMS, SAFR, etc.) employ the KISS method: Keep It Simple Stupid. Wow, I was all about the acronyms in that post! :D

'91 GVR4 #141

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:18 pm 

well the cat is ok i can see light thru it and nothing came out during cleaning with gas and a air compressor, checked spark plugs and the number 4 plug's gap some how had disapeared, still ran like crap with no cat and and a new plug, metal on metal noise showed up at 3500 rpm in 3rd gear was noticeable for 3 sec then lossed power from motor for 5 min, so i know its not the cat and i still dont believe its the turbo, still on the hunt :evil: