4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:43 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hi, My name is Ed and im considering doing a 1.5-4g63 swap as a beater/transportation car. Obviously its a bit harder than a 4g61t-4g63t swap but im not thinking im gonna have the funds for a GT, assuming i can actualy find one. Couple of questions

1. WHich FWD transmission has the highest power tolerance/most favorable gear ratios? (I guess this is between the 1.6T tranny and the 4g63T FWD tranny because i would use the T flywheel, PP, and clutch.)

2. Where is the best place to source conversion parts like the motor mounts? (and a follow up which transmission combos with the 4g63t need the motor-tranny spacer plate, which combos need which, and how does one find that besides going to a junkyard? )

3. It seems like just about any axles work with any transmission (ie. auto axes work with 5 spd trannys from a DSM) is this true?

THanks all i searched a lot of this but it got pretty confusing.
Id love to hear from some guys in the cincinnati/ohio area that have done this swap and may be willing to give me some advice. Thanks again

Ed
Rx-7 SS 5.7L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:12 pm 
Restricted Newbie

no one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:35 am 

Ed,

First of all, welcome to the boards!!

You bring up some good questions, hopefully somebody with a little more knowledge concering the differences in the trannys (if any) will be able to better answer them.

What I do know:

As far as gear ratios go, the "best" setup is to have a tranny with a taller GVR4 1st gear, double synchros and GM Synchromesh fluid (I've tried 4 others and believe me, Synchromesh is the ONLY fluid I put in my tranny now). The stock DSM 2-5 ratios are pretty damn good IMHO.

The 1.6 revs higher than the 2.0, but produces less torque so I would conject that if the trannys ARE different the 2.0 would be a bit stronger (DSM trannys are one of the weak links anyway).

As far as parts sourcing, www.dsmtrader.com is an EXCELLENT place to find the extra parts you'll need to do the swap. A local parts car would be your best bet though.

With regard to the axles, I'm not sure that auto axles would work on a 5 speed (experts, please correct me if I'm wrong). I do know that FWD and AWD front components are nearly identical, if not exact, so I would expect that the front axles from a AWD would fit a FWD. The best route to go in that regard however, is to get equal length half-shafts which will all but eliminate torque steer.

Hope I didn't confuse more, and if I got something wrong, EXPERTS: please correct me.

-Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:41 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Here is something regarding ratios:http://www.4g61t.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... um=2&por=1

Another good source for parts is www.car-part.com. It searches recyclers nationwide and you could narrow it down to your region.

Good questions. I'm gathering info on the swap as well(91 Excel), and the tranny/axles remain my biggest grey area...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:46 pm 
Restricted Newbie

thanks for the replies. Im pretty down with the DSM community as i owned a 91 TSI AWD before undertaking my latest project (the Rx7), and DSMtrader is indeed an awesome place. Car-part is awesome too, but it often fails to have options for certain parts, the parts worrying me would be 4g61t motor/tranny plate and 4g61t motor mounts.

I was under the impression that torque steer was more due to the open differential than the halfshaft length, but then again ive never owned a fwd car powerful enough to have torque steer :wink: .

Aside from that im pretty comfortable with the tranny/axles, its the wiring that bugs me because im wiring retarded. How has everyones experience been with the 1.5-'90 DSM wiring harness interfacing?