4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:42 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Do they make an LSD for 84 dodge colt 4x2 manual, where can i get one/how much?

Is there an option for a cam upgrade?

What clutch upgrades are available?

How much does the stock heating system weigh? (core, blower motor,
hoses, vents, connections, controls...)

Looking to put hte car on a diet without hacking it up... suggestions?

What is the best compression ratio for this car? It has 7.6:1 and i thought it was best to be closer to 8.5:1.. should i deck the head?

How much porting can safely be done to a stock g32b head, intake, throttle body, exhaust mani?

How much flow does a stock head flow (CFM) and how much might a "ported head" flow?

Whats with these jet valves, Im going to have a spare head should they be removed and welded or what?

Any other head/motor work (not a swap) that can be done while its apart?

Ask anyone who has read it... Amazon has it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:38 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Do they make an LSD for 84 dodge colt 4x2 manual, where can i get one/how much?

The Phantom Grip part number 903G should fit. It's a conversion kit and costs $259 from most shops.

Is there an option for a cam upgrade?

You can send your cam to Gude Performance and they can grind yours.

What clutch upgrades are available?

I believe ACT and Centerforce make clutches for your car. Knowing what gearbox you have will be a better starting point so you can cross referance parts from newer cars. It'll say on your VIN plate which one you have.

How much does the stock heating system weigh? (core, blower motor,
hoses, vents, connections, controls...)

More than likely 25 lbs or so. Only way to find out is rip yours out and weigh it.

Looking to put hte car on a diet without hacking it up... suggestions?

On a free weekend, take out the interior and take some dry ice to the sound deadening material. Then put your interior stuff back in. It's up to you to really find what you can live without.

What is the best compression ratio for this car? It has 7.6:1 and i thought it was best to be closer to 8.5:1.. should i deck the head?

You can do that, or get custom pistons. 8.5:1 is the accepted ideal CR for any turbo car.

How much porting can safely be done to a stock g32b head, intake, throttle body, exhaust mani?

That's a rather broad question considering all the different parts. Usually you don't want to go any bigger than other factory parts you can upgrade with. Such as those from a 1.8 or 2.0.

How much flow does a stock head flow (CFM) and how much might a "ported head" flow?

I don't know that anyone here would know. Bench test one and find out, other wise it's really a mute point and useless info to have. Obviously one flows more

Whats with these jet valves, Im going to have a spare head should they be removed and welded or what?

They're basically your fuel injectors and are made to be adjustable in order to control you fuel flow. Don't mess with them unless you know what you're doing.

Any other head/motor work (not a swap) that can be done while its apart?

I'm sure there's not too many parts available to upgrade your head, but I don't have those answers. They may be here somewhere. It's up to you to do the research from here on out. The G32B section isn't all that large, but I'm sure most of this stuff has been covered.

The best advice I can give you is to not upgrade when you don't know what you're doing. You're dealing with a rather rare car and something most mechanics won't know much about. You'll need to have practical mechanical knowledge, he'll be looking at you to guide him. Give it a year or so to do your reseach and you should have a better idea to know what you're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:53 pm 

Quote:
The best advice I can give you is to not upgrade when you don't know what you're doing...You'll need to have practical mechanical knowledge
forgive me for making the impression that i havent got a clue.
I have practical knowledge, what I do not have is experience with these particular cars.
Quote:
I don't know that anyone here would know. Bench test one and find out, other wise it's really a mute point and useless info to have.
Id imagine someones flow tested one already... i dont have a flow bench sitting here or i wouldnt have to ask :) As far as it being a moot point, it would help to find what CFM the head will flow so I can look at the compressor maps and shoose what i want to do turbo wise.

Thank you for the other answers, they were helpful or will lead me onto another trail to follow. This is a "newbie" part of the forum your reply to me came off as harsh. I doubt/hope it wasnt meant that way.

Thanks again and have a great evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:58 pm 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

I didn't know what practical knowledge you had or not. I doubt anyone here has flow tested their heads. It costs money and it's already fairly well know what you can do turbo wise unless you plan on getting crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:08 pm 

no it will probably end up with a 14b but the experience i currently have is with ford 2.3turbos and making hybrid t3/t4 turbos specific for CFM #'s.

What i am not aware of yet and havent had experience with is what "upgrade" parts are available and will fit from other vehicles.

Also as far as the jet valves go, I asked because i saw another post asking about welding them shut. I will be controlling fuel flow with an SAFC and tuning with egt and Air fuel so that shouldnt be a huge problem.

As far as going crazy or not. I really dont want to go nuts, I want 200+ hp out of the car though. Although i dont know how feasible of a goal that is. I think its doable though from what i have been reading.

my goals are: port everything, 14b turbo, FMIC, no cats, 2.5" exhaust, not sure what im doing with the maf yet, SAFC to tune fuel with, MBC to control boost, walbro 255hp pump, larger injectors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:17 pm 
Hey, here are some posts that I found that might help you a little.

You may want to try to contact chdesign and see how his project his progressing. He hasn't posted here in a while though.

Turbo and Jet advice

http://www.4g61t.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4073

http://www.4g61t.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ight=200hp

I think the biggest problem with a turbo upgrade is actually finding one with the same bolt pattern, otherwise you have to fabricate your own manifold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:28 pm 

Quote:
I think the biggest problem with a turbo upgrade is actually finding one with the same bolt pattern, otherwise you have to fabricate your own manifold.
yea that I was able to look into. i was going to use the stock mani and have an adapter made to use this http://www.roadraceengineering.com/part ... ninlet.jpg

will give those other links a read. thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:33 pm 
That would work, and would give you a bunch of options as long as there's room to put the turbo's you're looking at. If you have a goal of 200hp, then you might could get away with running less then a 14b turbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:37 pm 

welll :twisted: 200hp is just a goal, i have no problem if I exceed that goal. I will have 2 spare trannys so I want to at least break one :)

the car has some mods already if i get the gas tank in it tomorrow and it registered (just bought it still havent driven it) I might baseline it at the track wednesday night to see where its at "stock". I Think i will have enough room to get a turbo in there even with that spacer/flange, wont know until i try it though :)

I have no clue on a realistic HP number with the aforementioned mods on this car. So will just have to do it and dyno it. Any other suggested mods would be great, still researching the archives too. Ive actually been involved in those above posted linsk as well. Some good info in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:25 am 

Sorry I haven't been around in a while I've been working my arse off.....well anyways....about the jet valves.....they are NOT your fuel injectors....they were created to make a leaner fuel mixture for emissions purposes. If you remove them do it right. This entails taking out the entire jet valve assembly and welding up all the holes associated with the jet valves.....this will not only allow you to tune your car more properly but it will also strengthen the head quite a bit and make it much less prone to cracking than a stock G32BT head. As for a 200hp goal I think you can do it pretty easily IMO i'm shooting for more of a 225hp goal. I am making the tubular manifold for my turbo now. The turbo I'm using is a Mitsu Ralliart turbo from the early 90's it is similar to a 14b but a little larger its in between a 14b and a 16G. So far here is my car as it stands....stock recaros inside with corbeau 3 point harnesses. As for as monitoring the car I have a sunpro 3.5" tach with shift light, Greddy boost and a/f gauges and a Apex'i S-AFC for tuning. I've upgraded to the starion injectors, MAF and ECU to make my goal of 225hp they are all plugn play applications. For the motor the shortblock was in prestine condition so nothing was done to it I can still see teh factory honing marks in teh cylinders and no scratches or scarring at ALL!!!!. But for the head all new valves were put in and reseated all new seals, a mild port and polish job to keep it streetable and a 5 angle valve job. the manifold was ported 3" into the mani. The exhaust mani is my custom tubular I'm making now mated to the hybrid14b to a 2.5" 304SS downpipe and 2.5" exhaust with no cats and just a straight though muffler. THe charge piping is all hard pipe with a FMIC and a Turbo XS Type RFL BOV. the intake piping has all been converted to hard pipe and a K&N drop in has been put in the stock airbox which I cut open to allow more airflow around the filter. the suspension is KYB Gas-a-just in the rear and GR2's in teh front with some eibach hyundai scoupe lowering springs. I have replaced the stock swar bar mounts with universal urethane mounts you can get from JCWhitney. the motor mounts in it have been filled with a 3M urethane window adhesive you can buy from any auto store. for the cooling system I have a aluminum core civic radiator retro fitted into the car with a FAL fan attached to it with a adjustable fan switch. I replaced teh stock thermostat wiht a 175 degree one. THe oil system has been upgraded with a perma-cool sandwich adapter to run -8AN lines to a bar and plate calsonic oil cooler from a FC RX-7 (very very good oil coolers and you can pick them up for 25-60 bucks from teh wrecker) I have also incorperated a catch can to keep all that valve cover blow by out of my intake system. I took the stock winshield washer nozzles adn redirected them to infront of the IC so make them a IC sprayer. Thats just the beginning to the plans I have in store but that is what is done to it right now its still not running though its getting paint and I'm finishing up the cooling system (install) but e-mail me if you have any questions I've become pretty familiar with this car....oh yeah for weight savings take the A/C OUT!!!! the entire A/C system weights in excess of 40 lbs.!!!!! you will have to shim one of the bolts for the intermediate shaft mount on the back of the block but thats all you will have to do if you do remove it. Hope my setup gives you some ideas as to what to do to your C10 keep it runnign man they are extremely rare I have had many people offer me cash on the spot for mine at auto-x.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:14 am 

thanks, theres a bunch of great info in there. Is there a ecu number i should be looking for if I go looking for a 84 starion ECU? Also is the MAF specific to 84 starions or is that something that can be gathered off any starion.

Anyone here have any 84 starion parts (maf, ecu, injectors) for sale or know where i should go looking?

:)

Hopefully my car will get up and running then baselined on wednesday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:33 pm 

Yes you would need to get up to a 86 model year starion or conquest ecu/nijectors/maf package as your model uses to injectors the same size and just proportions fuel through those two where as the 87-88 had primary/secondary injecctors where the primary was on all the time and the secondary is only on under boost. I believe my injector sizes are 450 primary and 1050 secondary I think your injectors are 700cc each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:25 pm 

ok just to clearify:

that means i can use any combination of ECU, MAF and injectors from a 84, 85 or 86 starion. Or do i need a ECU MAF and injectors all from the same year car (being any year between 84-86)

I imagine it wont be really easy to find the parts so i want to make sure i know exactly what im looking for :) thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:21 pm 

Quote:
I think your injectors are 700cc each.
On 84 g32b, the injectors are 480cc each. :wink:

Dave