4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:49 am 
Restricted Newbie

I`m going to replace the gaskets and whatnot on my engine guys but need some info on the kit availability.

It has the bigger ports 1.8 head and engine code is 0194 something under the 4g61 mark. Does that mean the date of manufacture is 94 January? If I can I`d go for a Hyundai 4g61 gasket kit if fits due to significant price difference and availability but I don`t know if NA blocks came with the bigger head or no.

On a side note the timing of the engine seems to be off. When on tdc the crank mark matches up but the cam gears are off three teeth exhaust advanced, intake retarded, also the oil pump cog is before mark(lines up atdc) three teeth. The engine can be turned over without hitting the valves but I`m pretty sure it should be like this. Just to clarify I bought the engine three days ago never seen it running.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:27 pm 
The Silent Administrator

4g61 timing belt (turbo and non-turbo) is two teeth shorter than the 4g63. Get a quality belt and you will be fine.
The intake and exhaust cams markings should line up side by side when timing is setup properly.
IF things are misaligned, you need to confirm if you have bent valves.
Hyundai Elantra 1.6L composite gasket is just fine for all but high powered turbo cars because it's the same gasket the turbo cars use, but hopefully with closer matching bore sizes to the 1.6L cylinders with minimal bore increase to accomodate engines assembled after machining and getting new wider pistons.
We have seen FelPro gaskets designed for 4g63's that had overbore sizing big enough to suit overbored 4g64 pistons!
Only way to confirm a turbo block, is to look at the piston tops (61DT? markings), or inspect for oil squirters (pan off, but EDM got them with higher compression pistons in NA form).
I put a post about cylinder heads that were eqipped on all the sirius motors we got or were swapping into CSM worldwide, and some of that stuff applies to NA motor setups also.
Check the engine archives or that.
I suppose if the engine was a turbo (but not proving the bottom end is not NA and match turbo pistons/squirters), you can check for turbo cams which after measurement you can compare to the parts listed in the engine manuals located at http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/ Just be aware that specs were different on JDM cams, compared to the lazy USDM cam setups and lower power that resulted (also no intercooler, oil cooler etc on a 4g61t US stateside and Canadian).

Get the engine lined up, then see what happens with spark plugs in it. Should be hard to rotate over. If it's not, check for internal issue with a leakdown tester (slightly different from a compression tester), or pull the head. You are likely pulling the head to confirm and clean up many questions about condition. Better to do it all once, eh?

Also buy good timing components, and all of them! Mitsu/Hyundai tensioner, GBM bearing in the idler pulley.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:35 pm 

so to verify this... rotate th emotor so the cam gears are aligned... and see if the oil gear is on also.. if all 3 are then its the crank that slipped the 3 teeth.... I also am running the 61 with a 1,8 head.. theres not many options for head gaskets or timing belts.. I use gates T165 belt with a stock 4g63 head gasket and arp studs.

now if it is the crank thats off and the other 3 line up.. I would make sure u dont have bent valves.. u can be off up to 3 teeth and be safe it skipped at very low rpms... once u get up to 4 and 5 teeth off u have major issues. (1000% bent valves at this point even if only idling..LOL)..

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:40 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Little update here lads. Pulled the head all good, removed valves, none bent but all fairly blackened so are the pistons, the turbo was throwing oil into the intake so nothing unexpected there. Markings on pistons are 61DT indeed.

On a side note I have a td05 off an evo 7 and some 510cc evo 4 reconditioned injectors already will go ahead and fit them. I also have a guy who has a set of evo 8 mr 330 with spare parts. I was thinking getting the cams, inter and oil cooler with appropriate piping. I`m in need of his td05 manifold as well. Question is will the manifold and cams bolt on?

I also have the original maf and ecu(dual board eprom) will I need to upgrade for the above setup?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:04 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Later EVO parts don't match up well with our generation of motor if I remember correctly. Crank signal might not be off the cam via the cam angle sensor, etc.

Guys here will know for sure, but something about that turbo also has me wondering.

Dual board eprom is currently not available for ECMLink V3 tuning ... there was some talk of doing some work with it, but it was on another user board and another scenario.

Wiring in a car with a dual board will be similar but not the same. Pins will move around on the ECU connectors and some will disappear, while others show up for the first time.

Intercoolers and oil coolers can all be made to work, just be sure you are getting an oil cooler that has never been on an engine that was ever wrecked. Best to have it sonically cleaned before use.

Search the marking/code on the side of the MHI EVO 7 turbo and see what comes up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:49 pm 

evo 5 i think and up have the motor on the pass side of the car... where as ours have it on the driver side... so no the cams will not work.. and to make the turbo work is alot of fabrication and work.. in my opinion the amount of work to get that turbo to work..vs the power gains.. it would be cheaper to buy a turbo meant for this motor..

Steve