4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Junk Yard Visit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:19 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Current update: A few months after the purchase (circa fall 2012) I finally got the colt registered. Had a buddy that worked for a garage illegally pass it due to the exhaust being straight piped all the way through. He welded on a glass pack to quiet it down and passed the crack in the windshield. So shortly after that I had new tires put on just for basic daily driving use. I went with Kuhmo GT65a 185/65/14. I changed out the oil pressure sensor because that is where the leak was from. Upon removing the exhaust manifold heat shield I notice a crack in the exhaust manifold. Doesn't appear to be nothing major but I will be wanting to address it. Now I've noticed a humming (or how ever you want to describe it) while driving coming from the rear driver wheel. For the longest time I assumed it was a wheel bearing issue. I now believe it has something to do with the disk brake caliper. I took the wheel off and noticed slight pressure on the rotor from the pads. Also I should add that the e-brake doesnt engaged. Took the center console out and tried to engage the brake but the driver side cable is seized. The passenger has play but not the driver. I tried to spray PB on both ends but couldn't get it to adjust. The brake caliper mechanical parts also seem to be seized, sprayed it down and nothing. I'm planning on buying a new e-brake cables. As far as the brake calipers go I'm open to opinions. I do have a slow brake fluid leak coming from the front driver side that I haven't pin point yet. In the pass I had to add brake fluid. It does smoke but I only notice it from an Idle or stop to 1st gear. I think I have bad piston rings. It doesn't smoke all the time just from a stop to 1st leaving a small white cloud. The hatch glass has three bad heat strips. Is there any fixing to this problem. I don't know much about suspensions but it rides rough in extreme cold climate.

I am planning on going to some local junk yards (for the first time) this weekend with a buddy. I do understand that dsm parts from 90-94 will fit my generation csm. My near plans and what I'm leaning towards are
14b which a local craiglister has for sale in excellent condition for 150 http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/4331032284.html
FMIC or a side mount and piping
Injectors (450cc)?
4 lug to 5 lug conversion
exhaust system (the right way)
?MAF? massive air flow sensor

Eventually I will drop a 4g63t in but in the mean time I want to try and get this engine running healthy this spring. Even if I have to overhaul/rebuild it.

Also if you have any advice I should take with me when I do go to the yard, I would much appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: Junk Yard Visit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:15 pm 
Some call me a god

From the top!

Cracks in the exhaust manifold are common and usually not an issue unless they are really bad.

Humming while driving is a very strong indicator of a worn wheel bearing, especially if the vehicle has a lot of miles.

There should be slight pressure on the rotor from the pads; this is normal. Having said that I will add that there should not be too much pressure exerted by the caliper, it is one of those things that you have to judge by feel.

You have a bad e-brake cable and there is likely nothing you can do to fix it but to find a good working replacement somewhere. You may have to get creative and adapt something from another vehicle such as a sedan or van or even DSM. CSMs with rear disc brakes are hard to find. Try buying re-built calipers from a parts store. They are normally affordable and well worth the effort. Find and fix the leak ASAP.

Smoking after idling is indicative of bad valve stem seals; smoking while idling and driving is indicative of bad rings. The 4g6X family of engines is known for needing valve stem seals. You will need to replace the valve stem seals. This usually requires pulling the head unless you buy one of these fancy-pants tools: http://store.kingsperformance.com/produ ... 9-dsm-4g63 Yes it is $90 but I consider the cost to better the massive amount of extra work that goes along with pulling the head off and a new head gasket will run you $60 or so from Mitsu.

Your aged struts probably need replaced. Try some KYB GR2s; I use them and find them to be comfortable but also capable of keeping up with my stiffer-than-stock springs.

You won't be able to just slap a 14b on. The banjo bolts, return hose, water lines and all that mess are different. If you can get all those parts then go for it, but you will probably have to get creative with the bottom water line.

You can't simply upgrade injectors without having the software to compensate for the increase in fuel delivery. If you find a cheap set of injectors then by all means snatch them up. But you will need an AFC or an ECU that has an EPROM in a socket and a friend who can burn you a new tune.

4 lug to 5 lug on the front is easily done using DSM knuckles and CV axles. 4 lug to 5 lug on the back requires a little bit more creativity. A member on here had done that swap using the rear axle out of a FWD DSM. A better method of getting rid of the "captive" rotor design is to utilize the Expo "van" knuckles. They are still 4 lug but my opinion is there is no reason to swap to 5 lug anyway, you can find whatever rims you might want in the 4x114.3mm pattern.

If you decide to swap to a '90 DSM ECU you will be able to run a '90 DSM MAF and the previously mentioned 450cc/min injectors. If you do not have a '90 DSM ECU there is no need to chase after a different MAF. The exception would be if you find a 2g DSM MAF and 550cc/min EVO injectors. Then you could simply swap both the MAF and the injectors and you will be set.

I personally love the 4g61t and you will find that it is believed to be stronger than a stock 4g63 due to the decreased rod length. The weekness of the 4g61 is the piston, specifically the ring lands and the lack of off-the-shelf forged engine internals. My opinion would be to play with the 4g61 till it blows. Then start looking for a 4g63.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks for the information Shaun. I would have to agree with you about the 61t being a very good motor, but than again I have never driven or rode in a 63t. So I'd say today was a success. At our first yard found a early 90's model expo. I didnt do enough research homework so I left that be for now. The second yard was a hit. Found a eagle summit sedan with the virgin interior completely untouch. Me and a buddy yanked the dash and got a few minor cracks around the passenger side window vent. I didnt realize it had 10mm bolt holding it in. I even looked on the forums and read it but never could locate it till it was too late. The left side of the dash broke from me yanking on it right where the bolt screwed in but I think it can be fixed with a little adhesive or plastic weld. I got the factory radio but left the wiring harness, ill need to return before its scraped. Took the rear view mirror, glove box lid, sun visors, steering wheel, Few other trim pieces and also the seats all for around 150. Now I havent research or measured the seats but im hoping they fit. They had an extra feature to them, a telescoping seat height lever. Really took interest in them because I think my current seats do not sit up right enough and the trims broke where the lap belt feeds through. The fabric on them are very clean and has the pleather backing. I took a gander at the ebrake. It is functioning and are controlled by drum brakes. We didn't get to pull it though, may have to snag it. It was a awesome experience being my first time doing this. I was like a kid in a candy store. The weather sucked it was below freezing, one of the reasons I got impatient with the dash but overall I cant wait to do it again. If there are parts anyone finds in the pictures useful feel free to ask me to pull it. I wouldnt mind shipping it to you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 pm 
Restricted Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:07 am 
The Silent Administrator

Holy cow, that looks like so much fun when you have such an organized and clean yard to pull parts from!

You have found the rare height adjustable seat bases!
They were first found on 85-86 era turbo cars from what I remember.
I swapped early era Mirage/Colt seats into a C52a base model with a little rework/swapping of both seat base components, so if you ever find some turbo shaped seats you make things work I believe with regards to using the height adjusted in those seat forms.

Those dash bolts I have yet to experience, but likely yes, they are a pain to remove without that extra insight from the archives, much less pictorial run throughs.

If you are headed back, I may inquire about the dash HVAC selector setup. I have an issue with mine.
Seems when you want to select recirc/outside air with the slider, you have to really press the button because a pivot inside is worn out. If you are there and can confirm it's operation is better than that, let me know.

You are going to have fun with your new car.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:44 pm 
CSM Junkie

Send me the entire Summit sedan, please :).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:20 pm 
Some call me a god

I hope you didn't leave behind that tach cluster and the intermittent wiper stalk? Also those pillar trim pieces are really hard to find and I believe a few people are looking for some.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 am 
Restricted Newbie

Fun Indeed! Like I said this was my first time doing this. My buddy stated this was the most fun he had in weeks. I believe this yard was fairly new. Maybe a year or so old,I could be wrong Believe it or not its right down the street from two strip joints, Hustler and Hollywood. So you can basically Pick and Pull and Grope all within a mile radius. HAHA. It was a shot in the dark with these seats to think they are going to work. From what I measured tonight, the bolt holes line up the same 14" apart. I will post pictures once I get time to install them. I can recall the HVAC selector had proper adjustment. I can even remember switching the selector lever and seeing the damper open and closed when I had some of the dash taken apart. I'm more than likely going back to collect the rest of the dash since it will be a 30 dollar price difference from a bare to a complete dash. This vehicle had about 110,xxx miles on it and i was surprised hardly any dust or dirt was accumulated.

I wouldn't of thought anyone would want an automatic tachometer but maybe I'll post something in For Sale section to see if anyone is interested in anything when I do go back. Also you mentioning the wiper stalk, do you think this had four speeds as where my GT has slow and fast. There are 4 marks on the stalk in the picture. Ill check it out when I go back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:37 am 
The Silent Administrator

If the stalk has four speeds hash mark lines, it will have two speeds and two delay settings. The holy grail is the two speeds with multiple delays, meaning more than two.
Any number of delay settings is still much better than a two speed base model. Grab it!

An automatic cluster just happens to have the center area molded to accept bulb and circuit illumination for the shift lever positioning. You can just black them out from the inside if you so choose. Same goes for any perspective buyer.

Too bad the pair of front fenders weren't both dent free. I could have used the pair.
Any chance the front passenger fender is still in good shape/rust free/no dents/warps?