4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:55 pm 

I have done a 4g63 swap into an 89 colt and did the nt manual trans with it. I used the stock 1.5l master and slave. I swapped the slave rod with one from an nt slave (the 1.5 slave bolts to the f5m22). I had been able to release the clutch once; then went to do it another day, and I feel pressure thats very similar to the clutch disengaging, but i get grinding as if no release.

Ok, end of the story.

I probably overlooked this, but is this an issue with using cylinders not meant for the f5m22? What slave cylinder is used when you swap in DSM transmissions into nt CSMs? Is the stock master ok to use? Will a DSM clutch master cylinder bolt into a 4g15 3g CSM?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:12 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
I have done a 4g63 swap into an 89 colt and did the nt manual trans with it. I used the stock 1.5l master and slave. I swapped the slave rod with one from an nt slave (the 1.5 slave bolts to the f5m22). I had been able to release the clutch once; then went to do it another day, and I feel pressure thats very similar to the clutch disengaging, but i get grinding as if no release.

Ok, end of the story.

I probably overlooked this, but is this an issue with using cylinders not meant for the f5m22? What slave cylinder is used when you swap in DSM transmissions into nt CSMs? Is the stock master ok to use? Will a DSM clutch master cylinder bolt into a 4g15 3g CSM?

I used the stock 1.5 slave cylinder, I just replaced the push rod for the dsm one...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:03 pm 
Some call me a god

How old was the 1.5l slave cylinder? Could very well be that you are using a part that was almost to point of failure and was pushed to failure by the bleeding process or increased pressure from the different pressure plate. My suggestion would be to purchase a new slave that matches the transmission/clutch that you are now using.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:27 pm 

I think so too. The slave doesn't look that old. That's why I used it. But I tend to agree with you that the slave or master was possibly on it's way out. I purchased a new slave for the f5m22. So I will try that. What is strange is that the fluid level in the reservoir didn't drop and i didn't see brake fluid anywhere.

If the slave isn't the problem. I have a relatively new clutch master cylinder that is known to work on a dsm parts car. Has anyone been able to install a master from a DSM on to a 1.5 CSM?

I can't wait to get this little beast rolling!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:45 pm 
Some call me a god

Have you peeled back the rubber dust cover on the slave?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:44 pm 
The happy administrator

Did you do the hardened washer under the fork pivot trick?

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:45 am 

no, I didn't mess with the throwout geometry.

personally, I feel that shimming the ball is the same as extending the slave rod. They both bring the fork closer to the pressure plate. if I need to alter the geometry of the throw out, I can extend and reduce the rod length easier than I can pull the transmission.

I am certainly going to make sure there is enough throw. And if there isn't, yes, I will do something like lengthen the rod.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:15 am 
Some call me a god

Another common place of wear that leads to difficulty in disengaging the clutch is the pivot point on the pedal. The bushings are known to wear out as the car ages.