4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:00 am 
Some call me a god

So my oil light has been flickering for sometime now. The wire was disconnected and I really didn't care much about it but today I decided to simply hook it up feeling pretty confident that would solve my oil light, well it didn't. I hooked up the black wire that was hanging there and installed it on the sensor tab on the front of the OFH with no luck. We don't have an oil pressure gauge in our 3g cars so I'm assuming nothing gets hooked up to the rear sensor and I'm assuming we only have 1 wire that goes to that area (which would be the oil light wire). I am running the DSM 91+ OFH if that matters.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:34 am 
The Silent Administrator

Do you have the large space bot sensor sending unit?

We are supposed to have the traditional ball and seat/switch type sensor to illuminate the dash light when the pressure is around 5-7 psi (or thereabouts).

The later sensor was used for actual oil pressure on the DSM dash boards, our 3G's use a simple ground switch sensor.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:26 am 
Some call me a god

There is the large one aft which is for the DSM gauge and the smaller one forward which I thought was for the dummy light which is the one I now have the wire hooked to with no luck.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:21 am 

Quote:
There is the large one aft which is for the DSM gauge and the smaller one forward which I thought was for the dummy light which is the one I now have the wire hooked to with no luck.
Does the light flicker with a hard rev with the clutch in? If it does, your sender is good, pump is bad. If not, grab an ohmmeter and a buddy and check the resistance between the connector and the block, it should vary with unloaded revving. If ohms don't move, replace the sensor.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:58 am 
Some call me a god

It's very random, sometimes it flickers while driving, sometimes it's off and sometimes it's on solid, this was before I hooked a wire to anything, nothing changed when I plugged it in.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:45 am 
The Silent Administrator

To your first post, the manual states a yellow wire as it attaches to the oil pressure switch.
YG in the other two sections of wire up to the combination meter (dash cluster).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:42 pm 

Quote:
It's very random, sometimes it flickers while driving, sometimes it's off and sometimes it's on solid, this was before I hooked a wire to anything, nothing changed when I plugged it in.
The "dummy light" OPS is normally a 1-wire spring loaded floating ball receiving +volts from the - side of the warning lamp. The spring pushes the ball against the seat, which is grounded through the block, and completes the circuit (the bulb lights up). When there is enough oil pressure to compress the spring, the ball loses electrical contact with the seat and the circuit is broken (the bulb goes out).

If the OPS was the one that was unplugged, the bulb flickering would have meant that it was grounding out somewhere (providing the ECU isn't involved on your vehicle).

Does your Oil lamp come on before the engine is started? How about when the engine stalls?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:18 am 
Some call me a god

Ok so I have been driving it for a few days now and no oil light :) . So that lone wire is for the front sensor on the OFH, thanks everyone for the help and input.

07 ZX6R