4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: clutch problem
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:22 pm 
CSM Junkie

ok since its been getting pretty cold here, my clutch has given me problems. when it first started getting cold i had to adjust the clutch a few time and now all the pedal is completly gone. any suggestions on how/ware to bleed the clutch and what to use for fluid. i have not checked for leaks yet, there has been 2 foot tall snow drifts on it.

any suggestions on what i could do or check thanks :supz:

Post subject: Re: clutch problem
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:05 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
ok since its been getting pretty cold here, my clutch has given me problems. when it first started getting cold i had to adjust the clutch a few time and now all the pedal is completly gone. any suggestions on how/ware to bleed the clutch and what to use for fluid. i have not checked for leaks yet, there has been 2 foot tall snow drifts on it.

You use regular brake fluid for the clutch, you bleed it at the slave cylinder. Check and make sure the boot isn't torn on the slave and check to see if the seal is damaged on the master cylinder where the rod goes in from the pedal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:17 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Quote:
Quote:

You use regular brake fluid for the clutch, you bleed it at the slave cylinder. Check and make sure the boot isn't torn on the slave and check to see if the seal is damaged on the master cylinder where the rod goes in from the pedal.
Yea Ive had my slave cyl slide out of the tranny on my 1.5 car, I think it was held in by a little pin. I replaced the slave cyl. and I tack welded it it together, after driving the car home in 3rd the whole way. BTW if you need to get any where in an EMERGENCY just leave it in 2nd or third and start it, itl die when you go slower, you just start it where ever you go. REALLY bad for your starter/flywheel though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:19 am 
CSM Junkie

sorry for so many questions but ware exactly is the resivour for the slave and what is the best way to get to it? from underneath correct. i would go look but its currently under a ton of snow and i need it to get to work. damn daily driven dsm ftl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:20 am 

Quote:
sorry for so many questions but ware exactly is the resivour for the slave and what is the best way to get to it? from underneath correct. i would go look but its currently under a ton of snow and i need it to get to work. damn daily driven dsm ftl
Under the tranny FTL. fallow the clutch lines!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:24 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
There is no reservoir for the slave, the reservoir is on the master cylinder inside the engine compartment. To bleed the clutch you have to get on the ground because there is a bleeder port on the slave cylinder, it's just like bleeding brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:25 am 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:03 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
ok soo that helps a ton and if im not mistaken theres two bleeders in that pic? im guessing bleed from the lower of the two?

and to tony with all the talk of cylinders are we talking about the brake master cylinder or clutch? I have not been under the car specifically to look at how the clutch system is set up. thanks guys for all your help

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:11 am 

Quote:
Quote:
ok soo that helps a ton and if im not mistaken theres two bleeders in that pic? im guessing bleed from the lower of the two?

and to tony with all the talk of cylinders are we talking about the brake master cylinder or clutch? I have not been under the car specifically to look at how the clutch system is set up. thanks guys for all your help
your braking and clutch systems are separate, so he means your clutch master cyl. Buy your self some $20 floodlights at your local auto parts place to provide warmth/light (don't use them for many hours cause they will give you a sunburn) . Go out there and look at everything to get a feel of where everything is, you might see the problem just by fallowing the lines.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:20 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:

One bleeder port only, it's the one off to the side, not at the bottom. Clutch master cylinder, it's on the driver's side of the car, it's what the clutch pedal goes in to. You don't bleed from there, but that's where you have to add fluid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:30 am 
CSM Junkie

ok I got it now thanks guys ill have to go out there and do that sometime working at a tire shop in the snow sucks ass but the paychecks don't.hehe. anyways I gotta get this done soo I can send my tranny off to get rebuilt then its ecm link time hopefully ill be able to get everything done in time for the track season

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:17 pm 
CSM Junkie

anyone know what this resivour is for anything to do with the clutch? because its dry and i need to know what kinda fluid to put in it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:07 pm 

Looks like your clutch reservoir, you would use DOT3 brake fluid. no fluid...no worky-worky. Before you fill/bleed it, check your slave cyl to see if it all leaked out of there. If it has, get a haynes manual(or equivelent), and learn how to replace. If nothings leaking out of there, or anywhere else for that matter, then fill/bleed. If it starts to get low again then the problem is most likely your master cylinder. If that is such then use the haynes manual to replace the master cyl. and all adjoining seals. Also If you have the cash or sick of working in the snow, its probably a sub 200-300 job(can be way more or less depending on the hourly rate/cost of parts, so call around) to have the local grease monkey troubleshoot/fix it. In which have him replace the master and slave cylinder because they have received equal amounts of abuse.
Hope this helps,
-Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:26 pm 
CSM Junkie

ya it was leaking out of the slave got tha replaced in like 5 mins soo im all good and driving now and the clutch feel is amazing better than when i bought the car. and no one but me and a few close friend will work on my car. but thanks for all the help