4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Starter issues
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:16 pm 

Happy holidays and a new year I am still working on my newly purchased colt gt and well i changed out the clutch and flywheel and the starter and when we try to power it up you can hear the starter spin but it does not kick it over now i brought the starter back to the shop and it works fine but when i put it n the car it does not kick over now when we push start it the car comes right on and purs like a sexy beast car for the moment is completely bone stock stock (new ) flywheel and starter please help me

and one thing i notice was the flywheel p/n on the wheel itself was stamped k20 the new one was stamped k10 is there a diffrence on it if so let meknow because part store showed that part number they had was for a 1.6 turbo colt (k10 stamped on it) please help because i wanna finish installig rest of stuff but need the car to kick over before dont wanna push start it all the friggin time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:23 pm 
CSM Expert

Sounds like you may have the wrong flywheel. The km210 uses a flywheel with a larger diameter. Chances are the one you installed is not for a km210 and therefore smaller. The starter teeth arent touching anything. You can remove the starter and note the position of the teeth. It'll be apparent if they are too far from the starter gear when engaged.

4g15 12valve 5spd.
4g37 TB, MAF & Injectors. 4g37 ECU
Ported & polished & custom CAI w/K&N filter
5* Cam retard, 7*Ignition advance
2-1/4" catback w/flowmaster muffler
89 GT brake and suspension swap
Lots of little s#@t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:56 pm 

i am still having trouble changed out the flywheel for a diffrent one and got a diffrent starter did not work can you please help me with proper part numbers i am getting remenufactured ones to no avail very frustrating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:06 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Go back and ask for you orgional and ask for you money back and take the flywheel to the transmission shop and just have them surface that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:08 am 

Man this really sucks I know what your going through right now. I went through this on my first 1g motor in a 2g swap I put a jdm awd flywheel on a 95 gst and the starter grinded because the flywheels had a 1/4 inch difference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:01 pm 

well the guy i had the car with was not very csm/dsm savvy and told me my car never started when i drove it there hmmm scarry well i found a dsm tuner friendly shop ( owner has a colt gt) he will be a little costly but is also giving me a evo3 mani fully ported and 02 2 boot anyways i will le t you all know of my status

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:18 pm 
CSM Junkie

Make sure you have the right starter plate too - the "sandwhich plate" that sets thw position of the starter to the flywheel.

If a mechanic is doing it dont worry abuot it - they will know what to do - but if you do it yourself you need the right one of these too.

Check out my website: www.members.optusnet.com.au/~onnzo

Member #31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:18 pm 

guys the new meachanic tells me that the colt has a electrical problem it gobbled the battery and he says the starter wiring part reads only 8v when i believe it should be 12v advise anyone please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:19 am 

thats inpossible there connected straight to the battery the only way it car read 8 volts is if the bettery is dead or if you have a bad connection. What do you mean an electrical problem gobbled the batter. You can see if your getting an amp draw when the car is off with a multimeter. Like when your lights are left on. Sounds like you have some kind of amp draw. Who was the last person to work on you car and what did they do I would go and check that stuff before I would pay him to go and fix your wiring system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:39 am 
CSM Expert

If your battery has a dead cell it'll read lower voltage. If its shorting between plates it'll charge but wont hold any amps. Either way it sounds like your battery is shot. Was it good before you took it to the mechanic? Have him show you whats wrong with your car. Any reputable mechanic will show you and explain to whats wrong. You'll know then if he's trying to BS you.

4g15 12valve 5spd.
4g37 TB, MAF & Injectors. 4g37 ECU
Ported & polished & custom CAI w/K&N filter
5* Cam retard, 7*Ignition advance
2-1/4" catback w/flowmaster muffler
89 GT brake and suspension swap
Lots of little s#@t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:37 pm 

well it was a dead battery (tester battery) hes still working on it he said i'll know something by tommorow i don't understand it and well it's pissing me off the last mechanic all he "said" he did was change ground wire from starter and new passenger side axle and flywheel/clutch very frustrating for me since i'm not a mechanic bu well see how this goes at least i know the engine is in good shape and tranny as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:34 pm 

ok here is a update the idiot that sold me the flywheel / clutch both parts were wrong even though i specified turbo 4g61t 1989 colt gt he gave me wrong flywheel / clutch ordering dsm flywheel and clutch from act 2100 for now till i move to bigger motor (g63) in short im pissed off and i cant return clutch 240 dollars thrown away along with 60 for flywheel pissed off but anyways will be finished soon i hope