Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: I rarely race...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:29 am 

really.
rarely.
but saturday night, I had some time...

Now if anyone is in the northern atlanta area, you know that Barret PKWY is just a cop trap. that being said I drove around there anyway. :lol:

So, no sooner then I get on Barret, I immediately happen across a newer mustang GT and an lt1 z28 going at it. I cruise past them after they get done with their little romp (the z28 won). well lucky me, I end up at a 3 lane light, right in the middle of them... I've got the z28 on my left, and the GT on my right. the GT is revving like mad, the z28 driver is looking intently at the light, so I figured I had a race... I was right. the traffic was completely clear ahead of us when the light turns green - and all three of us nail it. I am slow off the line (as a front driver always is), but when boost hits and my wheels start spinning, it pulls me right up to the z28's doors. I hit second and my wheels break loose just a little, but it pulls me past the front of the z28's nose and now he is at my doors... also after hitting second I glance over to the right and the mustang is nowhere to be seen. DAMN! yellow light in front of me. I hit the brakes and the z28 does too. a split second later the mustang pulls up next to me again, with the driver just looking at me like i am an alien or something. I snicker to myself and then look over at the z28 driver, who is now looking in the opposite direction... must've been something I said. I spare a glance in my rearview and notice that a cop has just pulled up behind him. so I take off slowly when the light turns green... the mustang driver nails it though and amazingly is not pulled over. apparently the cops have a new attitude with car guys... in fact at the next light the mustang driver says he saw the cop already, but they dont pull people over for racing as long as it doesn't get into a dangerous situation... ok.... Not trusting the mustang driver, i drive like a grandma until the cops take off - yeah, turns out there were two of them, one after another.

So after the cops pass me, i look around and i am surrounded by econo boxes. Tercels, camry's, galant's.... wait. galant VR-4! i look at the guy and he waves at me - turns out I know him. he chats with me for a minute at the next light then we cruise around a little more. he guns it then goes to make a left, so i follow. turns out he blew off an intercooler hose, so I help him put it back on in the car max driveway... lol, DSM owners never leave home without tools, and I am no exception. :lol:

So chatting is over and I am back on the road. I'm driving along minding my own business (yeah, right - I am trying to instigate, but not be an a$$ about it), when along comes this s2000. well after beating a z28, I am not that interested in it... well he passes me and I think I hear a whining noise... yep, its supercharged. :twisted: So, I cruise along side it and his left lane is about to become a turn lane (yeah, i set him up, so what?), so naturally he drops it to second (I was already there, hehe), and takes off - well, he tries to anyway... he ends up having to merge behind me, which of course prompts him to swing around me to the right lane and tries to pass. I let him get around then I nail it and leave him by a car length...

So the highlight of the night happens here when the driver pulls up next to me at the same light and says "Sh1t man! that is the sleeper from hell!" and his buddy in the passenger seat has his phone next to his ear and I hear him saying "yeah man, have you ever heard of a mitsubishi mirage that can kick our ass?". I had to snicker at that one...

After that I chatted with them at the next two lights and we agree to run from a stop, and I bog down at the takeoff, so he kicks my butt - I really have to learn to launch this car better, with the new clutch, its not what I am exactly used to.
At the next light I do much better on the launch, and we are even at the end of my second gear. I shift to 3rd and I get about a half length ahead by the middle of third. I get to about 65-70 and shut it down cause I dont want to create a dangerous situation... yeah, i am safe that way.

after that I wave to the s2000 and take off for home. I need to pick up some milk...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:53 am 
CSM Expert

Wow! 8) Must have been quite a hot night! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:47 pm 
CSM Junkie

NICE!

Mike

Check out my website: www.members.optusnet.com.au/~onnzo

Member #31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:53 pm 
CSM Junkie

Yeah, I agree, keep it safe and don't instigate, but good post. What are you running('63 or '61,turbo, psi)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:01 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

great story for shure. great kills, keep up the good work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:32 am 

I have a 4g61t. small 16g, FMIC, running 19psi. fuel is from a walbro 255lph pump, going into 550cc injectors. yeah, I need to tune it. :lol:

Actually I have a GM MAF translator sitting on my shelf right now waiting for pipes to install it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:36 am 
Banned for being a dick

Didnt you say you had the 1.8L head also on another post?? Just curious. :wink: