4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Racing an SS
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:42 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

So I'm sitting up at the Albertson(usual spot were everyone meets that there aren't any no loitering signs) in Dallas with all my buddies. I'm in my Eagle Talon TSI awd. I was looking for a race that I could be proud of for winning and not feel bad if I loose. So I go up to this 1969 camaro and asked if he wants to race. beside him was a SS camaro not sure of the year it was a 35 anniversary if I'm not mistaken Orange with two black strips. I think that was a certain year paint job the way it was painted. I believe it was an 02 or 03. So finally I get both of them to come out. By the way my car has kyb agx's, Big 16g, upic, licp, hks ssq, full three inch exhasue turbo back, and a few other little nick nacks all on 16lbs of boost. Back to the story. We go out and line up. I asked the new camaro to honk since my horn didn't work properly. He honked three times and we're off. immedialty I pulled 4 cars on both cars second gear comes and the 69 has fallen back more, and am still pulling a little bit on the SS. By the time third gear hit the 69 is little dots in my rearview. and the SS has started to catch up. Right as I'm shifting into fourth gear the the SS passes me like I was standing still.
Time to turn around. We turn around and line up again. This time I'm in the left lane and can see both cars out of my perifial. The results with the 69 were the same. Although when the horn honked this time I only pulled a half a car on the Camaro. Immediatly after shifting into second the SS camaro was gone. All I saw was tail lights.

So when we get back to the Alberstons I go talk to the two guys and they both tell me nice race I returned the compliment. I immediatly went up to the guy in the SS and asked what the hell he had and told him I don't usually get beat on the street. So he poped his hood and to my surprise there wasn't a stock thing under his hood. He told me that his car was a 10 second car all motor and a low 9 second car on the bottle. I highly underestimated this guys car because of its OEM look.

I asked the guy why he took it easy on me on the first race and he said that he didn't he just didn't think that he would need to heat his tires up. I asked him if he sprayed on me and he said no he didn't and i don't dought that one bit. He had a nice setup under the hood. I would try to explain what all he had but I couldn't tell you all that domestice stuff. He did say that His motor was fully built to withstand a high nitrous shot and it was fully built excetp it had a stock crank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:38 am 
CSM Expert

:o

4g15 12valve 5spd.
4g37 TB, MAF & Injectors. 4g37 ECU
Ported & polished & custom CAI w/K&N filter
5* Cam retard, 7*Ignition advance
2-1/4" catback w/flowmaster muffler
89 GT brake and suspension swap
Lots of little s#@t

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:04 pm 
Some call me a god

That's awesome, good kill on the SS.
atleast you surprised him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:42 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

SS's are pretty damn fast stock. Nice racing.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:40 pm 
Restricted Newbie

If the camaro was a 35th, then it's an 02, plus there aren't any 03 f-bodies. ;)

nice races

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:07 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:36 am 
CSM Expert

Did he have the original motor built up, or did he swap the LS1 for something else, like a big block or traditional small block?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

why would someone swap OUT an ls1 ? for something else.. its chevys best motor.. ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:41 pm 
CSM Expert

I didn't say it made particularly good sense, but if the owner was looking for power through displacement, a built-to-the-hilt big block has more power potential than a 346ci LS1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:09 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
why would someone swap OUT an ls1 ? for something else.. its chevys best motor.. ?
The answer is LQ4. Is has the same desing as an LS1 and will accept the same mods(heads, intake, etc.), but is a 6.0L out of a Silverado.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:31 am 
CSM Junkie

i wasnt trying to argue:) i was just wondering if it was common practice for people to swap out fuel injected ls1's for a carbed big block or even a traditional small block.. also would the LS6 be better than the LQ4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:55 am 
Some call me a god

theoretically an lq4 will take more power, being an iron block.

but if you really want power, get a 427 cubic inch c5-r block, with a callies crank and go from there, available from gm performance.

lingenfelter went 9's with a twin turbo 427 in an awd gmc sonoma with the a/c on, niiiiiice.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.