4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: My GT vs. Saleen Capri
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:27 am 
CSM Junkie

I have had a few races to date since finishing the colt, but I think this one has been the most fun so far. I play on a Wednesday night softball league, and after getting a mudhole stomped in us by the other team I was just ready to go home and be pissed the rest of the night.

Well, my girlfriend and I were leaving the parking lot to go get some gas, and as we are about to turn right this mint fox body drives by. I had to wait for 2 cars after him to pass by, but then pulled out and proceeded to hammer it to catch up to him. 2 lane road each way, 55mph and never a lot of traffic is what we had to race on. I barreled down the road to catch up to him, and managed to catch him at a light (uh oh, my car gets NO traction). I was in the right lane at the front, and he was in the left with a truck in front of him. Before even getting up to the light, I gave him a thumbs up when I got next to him when we were going about 5-10mph. He grinned and then I pulled up to the light. Light turns green, and I let the truck go and get next to the Capri. He lets a couple car lengths go in between him and the truck and hits it. I notice he has big tires in back (probably AVS ES100's) a full cage, and lots of shiny stuff under the hood. Car looks pretty quick too! I hit it in second to show I have a little bit of power and just light the tires up, hehe. He looks over like with a surprised look on his face, and hits it again to get in front of me and pass the truck. I go up and switch lanes to get beside him in the left lane again with a clear road in front of us. We are rolling at about 55mph and he hammers it again to pull away from me. Or so he thought. I hammer down too, and after some wheelspin proceed to pull on him. Now his face goes to a huge sh1t-eatin' grin that this little sleeper was able to pull on him. We run 'em one more time from like 55-90/100ish and I pull him roughly a car length. He looks over and shouts, "I'm impressed!" I said "thanks" and told him I needed gas and to pull into the next station.

I get behind him and turn right at the next light to head to get gas. While I'm at the light there is this truck that we passed a while back sitting next to me just staring at me. I didn't know if he was pissed we were racing, or what, so I just said, "what's up?" He then asks me with a big smile, "what's in that little thing!?!" I told him a turbo 4cyl and he told me he thought I had a fast little car.

Shortly after, I pull into the gas station and meet the Capri owner. I popped my hood and showed him my setup and wow'd him a little with what it looks like under-hood compared to outside. He told me that its only the 3rd time he has started his car since he got it back, and the first time its been driven. He told me it was a built 302 with bolt-ons, all motor. It had maroon paint that was immaculate, chrome wheels, dual exhaust, cage, chrome stuff and Saleen badging. His license plate read: "SLNCPRI". He told me my car ran real hard, and that there is no way he would've suspected that it be that fast! Turns out he knows the owners of a shop I deliver to, and lives around my house too. I introduce myself and we shake hands and part ways.

Long story, but all-in-all the best race I've had in a long time. My girlfriend actually liked racing him, which I never thought would happen, and he was a great guy. Most of the time V8's won't even give my car a second glance. But Jim gave me a run, and I couldn't have asked for a closer race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:55 am 
CSM Expert

Wow... if it wasn't a phantom, that has to be one rare car.

Whereabouts do you live, anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:40 pm 
CSM Junkie

I live over off alpine on 6 mile. Are you going to the shooutout? We are having a caravan down from here on Friday morning, and picking up quite a few along the way. Just let me know if you want to tag along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:32 pm 
CSM Expert

No kidding? A friend of mine lives at Alpine and 4 Mile. That's cool.

Yeah, I couldn't have gone to the Shootout if I wanted to. No money. :(

-Kyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:18 pm 
CSM Junkie

I know it has been a long time since I posted this, but I found out a couple months later that I was lied to and that the car had a built 347. He also told me that I just smelled "old gas" when I asked him if he was running race gas. I suspect that was a lie also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:42 pm 
CSM Junkie

Thats pretty funny, the guy sounded pretty cool though. I would lie too if my 347 stroker got beat by an econobox. And who runs old gas in a 347?? Sounds like he was reaching at straws