4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:09 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

So a couple weeks back, I was slowly merging onto the highway in a beautiful new 350Z, on my way to another town about 40 miles north. As I get up to speed during the merge (ok who am I kidding, I was doing well above the speed limit on the on-ramp), I see this riced out Civic flying up to my tail. Surpise suprise, its got some lovely Altezzas, a big spoiler, and a can. And he wants to run the three-fiddy. On the highway. Brilliant.

I tried beating him just by using the accellerate function on the cruise contol, but I couldn't nudge ahead like that. Finally I turned the cruise off and just floored it (in 6th) and pulled ahead. The kid looked all excited like he "just hung" with a 350Z. I let him have his pride, screw it. He wasn't really worth the gas for an upshift.

I continue my journey northward, and come upon a fantastic specimen of midwest redneck in his rough and tough V6 Mustang, complete with a huge Ford Racing decal on the back, and prancing ponies in vinyl up the side. Not to be outdone by one of dem ding dur ol' Japknees pieces o shite trying to pass him on the highway, he guns it. Once again, I pretty much just leave in it 6th and crawl away from him. At $2.95 a gallon for 93, I didn't really think he was worth my gas either, even though I was getting almost 30mpg in a car rated at 25.

I end up reaching my destination, handling my business, and start the adventure back. Only this time merging onto the highway, I find myself right in the middle of a different pack. A 2000ish SS Camaro, LT1 Camaro, 3000GT VR-4, SVT Cobra, and Supra, all with out of state plates, are cruising rather gingerly down the highway directly behind me. They all catch up fairly quickly, and all try to give me a go as they pass by. I talk to the guy in the passanger seat of the Supra, and tell him that I pretty much know I'm gonna get lit by anything they have, but I'll drive with them for a while. He informs me that the LT1 Camaro is pretty stock, and that he might be a good run. I debate it, and end up saying what the hell, and we make to the front of the pack for a little play.

We both punch it at about 55-60, and I immediatly lose a car length because it seems that I'm not in the right gear. Guess it helps to know the car you are in a little better. So I shift, and start to play catch-up. It doesn't tale long, at about 85 I'm back in the game at his front fender, and ended up taking a car on him until I shut it down. Not bad for a stock car against a mostly stock LT1. Not suprising though.

Ended up cruising with the pack for another 30 or so miles, got to see the Supra light up the Cobra pretty bad (to 140mph or so), and the SS stomp the VR-4. Not too bad for a Tuesday afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:47 am 

Had no idea a 350Z could hang with a LT-1 Camaro, oh well sounds like you've been having too much fun lately.

Oh yeah, they should have raced the VR-4 from a roll and maybe things would have been different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:16 am 
Restricted Newbie

Good kill, didn't know you were on this board as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:24 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Had no idea a 350Z could hang with a LT-1 Camaro,

350Z is lighter with the exact same crank HP rating - that is if it was a 93-94 stock LT1 - the 95-97 had 2 cats instead of 1 - and supposedly increased hp by 10.

I can take stock or I/E equipped LT1 6 spds all day long from a roll in my laser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:22 pm 

Quote:
Had no idea a 350Z could hang with a LT-1 Camaro, oh well sounds like you've been having too much fun lately.

Oh yeah, they should have raced the VR-4 from a roll and maybe things would have been different.
VR-4 was not stock.

And I've been here for a long time Bu, just don't post alot.

And hush hush on this kill story, there is a reason it hasn't been posted locally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:19 am 
Restricted Newbie

Ha, I don't talk to anyone anyways. I play with my fishtank more than I do with cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:37 am 

Quote:
Ha, I don't talk to anyone anyways. I play with my fishtank more than I do with cars.
sounds good, but you know how it is for me...ya....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:04 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
shoot, i miss those days

worst thing that could happen is a $5 part would break or a $2 fish would die :(