4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: LIL EVO vs. STi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:58 pm 
CSM Expert

LILEVO is back. Thanks to many of your contributions I am back on my feet now with reliable transportation and the Mirage as well as two jobs.

I'm getting some weird vibration, heavy at times I still have no idea where it's coming from. Must have something to do with full time 4WD :)

I picked up two cheap Enduro 185/70/14 tires to match my rear 185/70/14 Goodyear S4S tires as my winter rubbers. I was on my way to the local Mits dealer to shoot the shit and show off the Mirage once again when the car started locking up. It was once again the familiar transfer case screetch/bindage. I was able to limp home this time a few miles back. The input shaft seal at the tranfer case apparantly leaked out all of the fluiid. I threw on a spare transfer case and headed on my way again.

Got to the dealership and turns out the Mitsubishi Rep was in the service bay talking with my buddy (the service manager) We talked for a good half hour about warrantee claims on the evos as well as his racing days. He told us how they used to have GVR4s as company cars. The field reps got them. He also told us about how he tested the EVO MR out in the Arizona proving grounds before it was made public. Very cool guy. Loved my piece of "art"

So anyways, I was on my way home when I spotted a nice blue STi. Aftermarket exhaust, huge mudflaps, side ground effects. Nice. I caught up to him and got next to him, approaching an intersection. Light turns yellow and red :D A smile must have stretched from ear to ear. I looked over and he too is smiling, mildly shaking his head left to right. I noticed him glance towards the front passenger wheel area, maybe checking out my winter steelies. I raise both of my arms in the "huh/what" fashion and nod my head forward. I quickly rev a few times and look over. He is still smiling. The cross street turns yellow and then red. I raise the RPMs between 4-5K and the light turns green. BAM! the rear end tweaks out ever so slightly as all 4 tires light up in smoke through 1st gear when I hit 45mph at 9000rpm. I don't see the STi in my rear view but as soon as I hit second gear he quickly fades from my blindspot to 3, then 4, 5 cars behind. I hit third gear around 85mph and he is most definately a bus length or two behind, still in the throttle.

At this point I slow down, he catches up and both of our thumbs are up and our faces are identical with smiles. He turned off at his subdivision a mile later. I then envisioned him running to his computer and typing in "LIL EVO"

The end :)

Post subject: Re: LIL EVO vs. STi
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:21 am 
BANNED FOR FRAUD

Quote:
I threw on a spare transfer case and headed on my way again.
This still amazes me. Like it was nothing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:36 am 
CSM Expert

HAHAHAHA, yeah, me too! VERY nice kill jason! glad to hear you're back on you're feet and stomping on the STI's again 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:47 am 
Nobody Important

Good, so you can help me AWDify Louie in a few years :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:36 pm 
Some call me a god

is the pinion angle of your car funny? or the driveshaft out of balance? that could be a VERY large cause of driveshaft vibration as well. maybe a dry u joint or a joint out of operating angle.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:46 pm 
CSM Expert

Maybe -

I was running the original driveshaft as it was mounted, presently, to the shootout and back and there were zero vibrations. Then a joint or something (not even sure which one) must've went out because the car was undrivable it vibrated so bad. So now I have a different driveshaft in there, vibates in a different way than the first one did. How can I determine if the ujoint went bad or the rear bearing/joint?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:29 pm 
Some call me a god

grab 2 halves, and mive different directions, rotationally and laterally(across) you can also take the shaft out, seperate the 2 halves(if possible)
but mark them first, and check movement of the joint, should be VERY smooth and not notchy at all, if it is, replace.

If speed kills, then i shoulda been dead awhile ago. There is no such thing as "Too Much Power". There is no excuse for a lost race. Do you view the rev limiter as a fun limiter?or as a shift point? And we all know, more boost=more fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:24 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

...beating an STI from a dig...priceless. Thats so awesome, that guys gonna be having sparatic flash backs of that race for a while.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:26 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

makes me hate the f150 that hit me, THAT MUCH MORE!!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:09 am 
CSM Expert

Good kill, and good to see you around again. You should hit me up on AIM sometime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:46 pm 
Some call me a god

Did you check your carrier bearings? My friend with a 92' AWD had some insane vibrations, he replaced his carrier bearings and the vibration went away....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:34 pm 
CSM Junkie

Happy to see you are doin better. Good job on handing it to the STI.

Post subject: Re: LIL EVO vs. STi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:44 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I then envisioned him running to his computer and typing in "LIL EVO"
You know, i bet he did exactly that.
Also, this will be the topic of the month at the Subaru Club...lol. This guy will always remember the day a Mirage on steelies ripped up his STi :D