4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: tdo4 11b, max boost
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:15 pm 

anyone able to tell me what boost the td04 11b will run if the hose to the wastegate actuator is left disconnected? I had the car stolen, and its just turned up again, missing a lot of stuff.

I hate to think what sort of boost i might have been running, that was with the IC removed too :(

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:52 am 
CSM Expert

I wouldn't have thought it would have been boosting at all if the IC had been removed unless they were thoughtful enough to reroute the plumbing again afterwards. Still, the turbo may have been overrevved since the wastegate was disconnected and it was pumping to free air - not so good. In fact that is one very good reason for not using your car with large boost leaks since the turbo attempts to make up for it and ends up destroying itself.

Sorry to hear about your car being stolen. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:19 am 

unfortunately they were smart enough to re-connect the IC piping. I cant be sure if the car was driven like that, but it only makes sense to assume it was. If so it was only likely for a few km, if that. What sort of damage would likely have been done to the engine?

Insurance co. have written the car off (due to more than $5000 worth of stuff taken). But i might consider buying it back if its cheap enough. Its got the 4g67 head on it, with vr4 evolution cams, new water pump, new belts, new alternator. It really only needs a new air filter, battery, some seats, a steering wheel, and ignition barrel to get it drivable again.

I'll pull the spark plugs out and see how bad they look. Melted electrodes would be a sure sign of high boost or lots of detonation. Anything else obvious i can look for?

Thanks a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:16 am 
Nobody Important

I had my line pop off going to the WG and I was pushing 9-10lb of boost but it was VERY hot air coming out.

I put the line back on and the boost stayed the same but it was much cooler. So your engine should be fine (sans knocking damage due to really hot air). Turbo could have hosed itself though.

stupid crooks... dontcha wish beating morons was legal?

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:34 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

I was told it would increase boost from 4-5 psi, but my I think it would just max out the 11b. A friend tried this on his Talon and he said the boost fluctuated badly under acceleration. I don't think it would have caused any damage from such a short time that it was off.

SOLD to the fastest shifting hermaphrodite in CO